Need User Guide for ERA security front door lock

We recently had some building work done on our house and asked the builder to replace the elderly falling to bits yale lock on our front door with something more secure. The builder is a great guy but if he has one fault it is that he throws away the instructions and packaging for everything he installs as soon as he unpacks it. Knowing this I usually manage to get there first and save the instructions, warranties etc but did not manage it on this occasion.

So we have a very smart new ERA British Standard Double Locking Nightlatch but it is proving difficult to use. Basically the problem is that there is a two part latch, the main latch which you turn with the internal handle when indoors to open it and and a separate smaller latch which you can set to stay rigid (using a small black button at the top of the lock) if you want to leave the door on the latch. This smaller latch sticks in the on position. I think we need to adjust it and some instructions would be useful.

I phoned the builder and he said he bought it from his local DIY store which is not near us, so I can't go and read up on it. Nor are there any instructions on the ERA website. Does anyone know any major chains who stock so I can go and read it up in the store!

Comments

• turk3y
    turk3y Posts: 99 Forumite
    last lock i brought only had fitting instructions, sounds more like its rubbing on the inside of the metal plate in the frame as I doubt you are using it wrong. Can you see any scrape marks or similar? does it stick with the door open, and have you tried a little oil? (dont use oil in the lock tho, graphite power only for that I think)

found this so far, not ideal but perhaps it explains how the lock should work?

http://www.keys4locks.co.uk/downloads/Nightlatches.pdf
  • usignuolo
    usignuolo Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    I have found several websites with written information and illustrations on how to install a nightlatch and even a web video (video jug). But none addresses the problem I have, that there are two latches - the main one and a smaller one below it and the bottom smaller one keeps sticking, as though it is deadlocking itself. You really have to slam the door to shut it.

Then I found a site called DIY doctor, where someone was complaining about a stiff Yale lock. And it also had the following contribution which described my problem exactly:

"I'm having a nightmare with an ERA double locking nightlatch. I'm on my second one, an both have developed the same problem - they seem to deadlock themselves so you have to really slam the door to get them to actually close."

Reply (from a locksmith): These particular locks have been a nightmare over the last couple of years with a fault in the manufacturing that causes the symptoms you describe. "

My lock is an ERA model, anyone else fitted one and had a problem with it deadlocking on its own?
  • GaryS
    GaryS Posts: 807 Forumite
    Get the builder back to sort it out !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills