PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

washing a duvet

Comments

• Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    We take ours to the launderette, put it through two wash cycles using Ariel Biological powder then tumble dry. This is always done in the summer, chosing a warm weather weekend..........so that the duvet can be aired on the washing line after the launderette visit.;)

We have a cheap (synthetic) light duvet to put on the bed in the summer months, then change to the better quality down duvet for the winter months.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Yes, OH (who used to be a domestic appliance engineer) says definately DON'T put it in a domestic washing machine. You can use a commercial one.

It is worth doing the maths as well - you can sometimes buy a new light duvet for not much more than the cost of washing and tumble-drying one - not very ecological though....
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Both my summer (synthetic) & winter (feather/down) duvets say wash in commercial machines on the labels. I have successfully washed our old feather double duvet in my machine & dried it on the landing draped over the bannister. However I wasn't too fussed if it ruined it cos it's about 15 years old & resides on the spare bed.
  • purplegirluk1
    purplegirluk1 Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I know it will fit in the washer as its smaller than a load of washing, I was just worried about drying it. I have been thinking that I might see if I can buy a new one tomorrow now, i'm going to the doctors anyway so I will be in town. It could work out cheaper to buy a new one and I don't think I could go to a laundrette as I don't and couldn't carry it on my own their and back. Thanks for all the tips!
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    I Have 3 kids so as i have 3 single duvets and my king size duvet to wash all together so i take mine to the dry cleaners and they give me a discount for all 4. I get them done every 3 months. It works out a little cheaper then going to a launderette.
  • Kippsy
    Kippsy Posts: 259 Forumite
    I took my winter duvet to the cleaners and I think it was about 10 quid which is cheaper than a new one, I have a light weight coton one for the summer and I would put that in my own machine but only because it such a thin cotton quilt and wan't very expensive.... Like the idea of a bulk discount at the dry cleaners, at ours they have a kind of loyalty stamp card thing... so many cleans, get one free!

Might not be too money saving but it is nice to have it clean. :D
    oooh look only about 220 posts and I got round to doing my Avatar already!!
  • loracan1
    loracan1 Posts: 2,287 Forumite
    I have a 4.5 for summer and a thicker one for winter and wash them both in the bath when I change them over. Like treading grapes really, just need lots of rinsing with the shower. I usually manage to sling it over the rotary airer in the back yard to dry (over the whole thing so it's flattish). I won't use the tumble drier again cos even though the 4.5 would fit in it, the cover on the last one I had started melting.
  • I'm having the same dilemma. My King size needs washing but i'm reluctant to take it to the laundrette as last time I did that it came back with large brown stains all over it. I think the girl put it in the tumble drier and burnt it.
    It's a bit too wet to hang out to dry but I don't really want to buy a new one.
    Hmmmm :think:
    My mind not only wanders .......... sometimes it leaves completely
  • purplegirluk1
    purplegirluk1 Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    I've been and bought a new one today! I decided that it would cost too much in money and effort for me to get to a laundrette and back so I popped into town after the doc's and bought a kingsize 13.5 tog for £12!!!!! It came from B-wise and is pretty good. It is hollow fibre and has a protected layer so it isn't soft like a cotton duvet but it feel really nice in the duvet cover and looks much nicer than the old one. Its better to buy new ones every now and again anyway because of the dust mites, yuck!

Think I might give the old one a wash now as it doesn't matter if it goes wrong, then atleast I will have a spare!
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I wash mine in the bath, rinse it with the shower, then hang it over an airer in the bath till it stops dripping, before draping it over the banister to dry fully. Takes a couple of days but only costs for the water and the hand wash posder. In the meantime I put a blanket on my bed. Mine won't fit in my washer-dryer but used to fit in my washing machine that didn't have a drier.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure