PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

horrible taste from new kettle.

Comments

• emum
    emum Posts: 2 Newbie
    I went into this post after googling to see if anyone else had the same problem as me with a strange tasting cup of tea from a new kettle.
    Our old kettle was fine but eventually leaked. We bought a Breville. Nice kettle but there was a very strange taste when water was boiled in it. We rinsed it out lots and gave it a good week for the strange taste to go, but it didn't. We reluctantly had to return the kettle.
    We then bought a John Lewis make "bullet" kettle which cost almost £40. Same problem - and we've used it now for a week and the taste is still there. It's OK with the first cup of tea but if you top up the cup with more water from the kettle there is always a horrible taste. We'll have to return this one too - don't want to be drinking something that's obviously not good.
    We are going to try the Morphy Richards Black Opera kettle next as it has had good reviews and no one has mentioned a funny taste. Here's hoping.
  • Just want to say that after strange-tasting water from two new kettles (stainless steel kettles too, and not cheap) we had success at last with the Morphy Richards Black Opera kettle - YES, result!
    So pleased - and it's a plastic kettle, but water boiled in it is fine with no strange taste. I chose this last kettle after reading lots of positive feedback about it from people who'd bought it. It's also a Which Best Buy. Delighted!
  • PudseyDB
    PudseyDB Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    emum wrote: »
    Just want to say that after strange-tasting water from two new kettles (stainless steel kettles too, and not cheap) we had success at last with the Morphy Richards Black Opera kettle - YES, result!
    So pleased - and it's a plastic kettle, but water boiled in it is fine with no strange taste. I chose this last kettle after reading lots of positive feedback about it from people who'd bought it. It's also a Which Best Buy. Delighted!

That's a nice looking kettle actually - I'll bear it in mind as ours is starting to go dodgy - ie the lights no longer light up!
    Incidentally ours is a Russell Hobbs Thermocolor and never had any strange tastes!
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    :wave:
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  • Honestly we started to think ALL new kettles where going to be a problem...having purchased a MR one from argos clearance....plastic yuk tea...then one from currys can't remember now what one but plastic yuk tea again!!!now we have a stainless steel Kenwood 3rd time lucky...it makes perfect drinks again. Dianne
  • Found this thread as I've been having the same problem - brand new, expensive Morphy Richards kettle - makes the water taste revolting. Feel like we're being poisoned! Will try the bicarb thing. Thanks folks.
  • :j Thanks for the bicarb. suggestion, it works a treat, just enjoying a lovely cup of tea with horrible taste to it anymore.:T

Bought a Morrisons own brand kettle - looks exactly like the Morphy Richards one mentioned above but only half the price. Although had the same nasty taste to it even after a dozen boils:(

So tried I boiled with bicard and rinsed but then boiled again with a good dose of lemon jiff for good measure (didn't have any fresh lemon handy). Didn't bother rinsing after that boil as I drink Lady Grey so would just add to flavour anyway. Worked a treat; well done for posting that suggestion.
  • cosmic wrote: »
    I have posted this on here in the hope that one of you guys can help.
    Yesterday I bought a new kettle and I have been unable to remove a strange taste from the heated water, despite repeatedly boiling clean water, can anyone advise how I can remove the taste.
    cosmic

The advice that Tefal gives, works a treat, I used 2 teaspoons in a kettle full, boiled it, rinsed out, boiled a full kettle again, emptied, and the job was done, no taste!! :beer:
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    When I first left the RAF,I worked in a factory that made kettles,the taste you are getting is more than likely the molding release agent which is a sort of grease that stops the plastic sticking in the molding machine,
    A good rinse of the kettle is really not a good idea,you should give the whole thing a wash with a sterilizing agent as quite often,the parts that make these kettles,are stored in warehouses until they are needed on a production run* in cardboard boxes & have rats & mice in the warehouse.This also applies to the packaging & other appliances as well.

*A type of kettle is only made when an order for a particular type comes in.
  • toasterman
    toasterman Posts: 757 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We bought a Breville. Nice kettle but there was a very strange taste when water was boiled in it. We rinsed it out lots and gave it a good week for the strange taste to go, but it didn't. We reluctantly had to return the kettle.
    We then bought a John Lewis make "bullet" kettle which cost almost £40. Same problem - and we've used it now for a week and the taste is still there. It's OK with the first cup of tea but if you top up the cup with more water from the kettle there is always a horrible taste. We'll have to return this one too - don't want to be drinking something that's obviously not good.
    Just want to say that after strange-tasting water from two new kettles (stainless steel kettles too, and not cheap) we had success at last with the Morphy Richards Black Opera kettle - YES, result!

I bought a new kettle last week for my new house (I lost the old one in the "divorce"). For some reason I got talked into getting a stainless steel one (I've always had plastic before), and after the 4-5 boils/empty (it said 3 in the manual - I wanted to be sure), I set about putting real water in it and making tea. It tasted a bit odd.
    It's a Russell Hobbs 18861.
    Over the coming days, I've hardly slept so I'm no longer a good test of whether or not anything tastes perfect, but a friend came round this morning and I made him a cup of coffee that was apparently so bad it was undrinkable. I made him another with a different cup in case there was some washing up liquid left over from washing it, but it was no better. The milk was only opened this morning, so it can't be that. It's the same coffee (the same jar) I used at my old house a few weeks ago. He's never complained of this problem before.
    It seems unlikely to be the water as my old house (where I regularly made him drinkable coffee) is only half a mile up the road - same water company and city. I don't know anyone else with a steel kettle - only glass and plastic.

I've never had to do anything with vinegar/bicarb before (don't have any of either, and am reluctant to spend a couple of quid on cleaning something that is brand new). Is this a common problem on stainless steel kettles? Seems so, from this thread/Google.
    I've found with stainless steel drinks flasks that the water from them always tastes odd, so realistically I'm not sure why I expected a s.steel kettle to be any better.
  • Barnetbear
    Barnetbear Posts: 374 Forumite
    edited 24 July 2012 at 9:20PM
    If bicarbonate of soda and baking soda are the same thing, two goes at my kettle did not work.

^^^^^^^^^^ since posting the above I discovered someone gave me some other sort of cleaning powder instead of what I asked for, so will post again after I try some proper bicarb.

Further update 24/07
    It WAS after all bicarb I used. It didn't help much. I have now bought another brand. Done the boil again. Slight improvement but still plastic smell from the kettle. Perhaps I will need to do repeated bicarb boils to make a difference.
    Escaped from Barnet to freedom in the South-East!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure