PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

dyeing sofa covers?

Comments

• Can anyone tell me if it leaves any dye behind in your machine? I'd love to do this, but am just worried that I'll end up with all my clothes turning out the same colour for weeks to come!

Also, I've currently got green sofa's and was wondering if that will affect the colour that the dye eventually turns out as- does anyone have any experience of this?
    thanks,
  • Can anyone tell me if it leaves any dye behind in your machine? I'd love to do this, but am just worried that I'll end up with all my clothes turning out the same colour for weeks to come!

Also, I've currently got green sofa's and was wondering if that will affect the colour that the dye eventually turns out as- does anyone have any experience of this?
    thanks,

Dylon recommend that you put the machine through an empty wash cycle to clean any remaining dye out afterwards. I generally do a load of black washing for my proper wash after dyeing just in case.

As for colours, generally speaking normal colour mixing rules apply. E.g. if you had a red sofa and used a blue dye you would end up with a purple sofa. They do sell a pre dye though which will take the fabric back to a neutral colour so you should end up with the colour on the pack. There's loads on info on the dylon website
  • lynnexxxo
    lynnexxxo Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    I know this is a very old thread..

But I just wanted to share.. I have a six seater corner ikea sofa, and the covers were looking very tired. So took the plunge and have dyed them the most fantastic shade of purple. I used the Dylon intense violet and they are now a lovely aubergine shade. I got the dye on ebay - I needed 15 packs, which worked out at £45 delivered.

It took me ages though as I had to do the dyeing in five lots (1800g fabric, 3 packs of dye) and you have to wash them first, and then wash them afterwards too (so 15 loads in the one day).

The dye has slightly stained the seal at the front of my machine but came of with a bit of a scrub and have not found any problem with the dye turning anything else purple.

The covers were mocha brown to begin with.

I am truely delighted with the results, very even and it just looking like a new sofa.

Edit : bargain alert Home Bargains has the black dylon dye for £2.99 per pack.
  • downshifter
    downshifter Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Adding to this old thread - I have an Ikea sofa that I don't think they do any more, and certainly don't do replacement covers in colours I want, so I asked them about plain white covers which they ordered for me and which are great. I've dyed them terracotta and used Dylon/ salt like everyone else and they are excellent. (Although a pair of knickers did get into the washing machine - can I start a trend for terracotta knickers?!)
    I have since found though that when washing them, the dye does come out very slightly, not massively and the shabby chic look was what I was aiming for anyway, but it's important to ensure that when you wash them afterwards you do all parts, not just the cushions. Which is what I did and after a couple of washes ended up with an interesting 2 tone look. I washed the arms/valance/back bit a couple of times to 'catch up' and all is fine now.

Dyeing is brilliant, has saved masses of money and really works. There is a warning that it might not take on fireproofed fabrics but mine were plain cotton (and the knickers nylon) and the dye has taken, and stuck, really well and it's at least 2 years down the line now.
  • ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 April 2010 at 9:42PM
    Excellent thread and has convinced me to give it a go! I have a navy sofa and a white sofa, both given to us second hand at various times but they are good quality ones, feather filled cushions and hardwearing so I want to keep them. However the white is not suitable with little ones around (I tell them it's ornamental, not for sitting on!!) so I'm going to dye it navy to mach the other so I can use it without being paranoid. It's only a small 2 seater so shouldn't be too hard, just need to weigh the covers!

Thanks for all the great advice on this thread (sorry for bumping!)
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    Ragz - we prefer to keep all the like discussion together in Old Style so you have no need to apologise for bumping a relevant thread !:D

Report back, it sounds exciting!:j
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Have worked out I need about 8 packs (overestimating, it's a small sofa), will weigh more acurately before I order. But I can't find it cheaper than £5.50 a pack, which makes it pretty expensive... even on ebay.
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    edited 4 April 2010 at 10:01PM
    hmmmmm! Could you buy less and do it a lighter shade?

or could you message the ebay seller and see if they do discount for buying such a large quantity? You don't ask, you don't get!

Or i would message a seller asking what price they would to the postage for 8 boxes - often they offer much cheaper so it could work out a good but less than you originally thought?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• downshifter
    downshifter Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    Bought mine in Wilkinson's, have you tried there?
  • wyebird
    wyebird Posts: 755 Forumite
    Thank you for bumping this thread, it is something I have been thinking of doing, but wasn't sure where to get dye from. My dear dog, as peed up the bottom of my sofa a few times and that and the subsequent cleaning has taken the colour out of those areas!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure