Who to consult for structural changes within a house

Hello all,

I just bought a 3-bed end of terrace house and I want to make some changes within the house.

I want to remove a pillar within a kitchen. Kitchen wall falls towards an alleyway, i.e. not connected to the next house. Now this pillar that I want to remove is a load-bearing pillar. So before I give a go ahead to my builder, I wondered if anyone over here can recommend a good Structural Engineer who can advise whether this can be done or not and if so how. This pillar is very awakward and I want to remove it to a create a nice open-plan kitchen.

And also I'd appreciate if you can advise at what point I should involve my Concil and gain their permission.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Comments

• bh026
    bh026 Posts: 34 Forumite
    Anyone with any help will be greatly appreciated!?
  • l33na
    l33na Posts: 238 Forumite
    From my understanding you will need building regs. Your best port of call is your local council building reg department.
    I think it varies council to council if you need planning on interior changes but building regulation is essential as it will ensure that the work is carried out safely.
    sealed pot chellenger no992Total for 2011= £198
    mfw= 2011 overpayment =
    Mfw 2012 no#25=OP target £2000
    The road to success is always under construction.
  • bh026
    Yup. Cheers Leena.

Yea, I definitely will need a Building Regs approval. What I need is a Structural Engineer. Do you know where can I find one?!
  • I would consult the council building control, who should be able to point you in the direction of a structural surveyor. It isn't anything particularly unusual so any qualified firm of surveyors would be able to advise you on this sort of work.

The builder will need to know exactly what size steel to insert, the structural surveyor will advise on this and perform all necessary calculations.

You don't need to seek recommendations - have a look in your local area - Google search or Yellow Pages.
    If I had a pound for every pound I'd lost, I'd be confused
  • princessdon
    princessdon Posts: 6,902 Forumite
    Ring your local council's Build Regs - They may be able to recommend or a good building firm (ring several) you will likely hear the same name more than once.

I just used a really good SE - Paid £1200 Incl VAT for a report - but this was on a house that had cracks and I didn't trust the surveyor.

All it was (in the end) was a loft hatch that was cut in the wrong place and so caused the cracks and movement. The surveyor (full survey) didn't pick it up.

In short they are all about the same price - pretty good at their job and know their stuff, but if you feel you'd rather have personal recommendations then the council and builders will know
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You need a small local firm of structural engineers, surveyors won't be any good for detailed advice, calculations and design. You just need someone who is MICE or MIStructE qualified, there should be a listing on the ice website (institution of civil engineers).
  • bh026
    Great advice.

Thanks all
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business