Pleeeease help

Comments

• Any letters you send make sure you send them recorded delivery and keep the receipts!!

Also send copies to all agencies concerned Lowell Financial, Hamptons Legal etc to keep them all informed.
  • Francophile
    Francophile Posts: 765 Forumite
    Hi Philius,
    I can't pretend to be any kind of expert but in the absence of any other recommendations at the minute and so you know you're not alone , your letter sounds all right to me. I don't think you'd be upsetting them but you've made the position clear.
    Good luck. Hope you get it sorted.
    Member #7 SKI-ers Club
    Norn Ireland Club Member 215
  • Sus1e
    Sus1e Posts: 235 Forumite
    Philius wrote: »
    Hi guys,

As I'm totally useless at writing letters does anyone have any templates/ideas of what to write in this letter. I don't want to annoy them so much that they start legal procedings out of spite - but I would like to give them a getnle push away.

Does this look ok?.......

I write in response to your letter of 18/4/2007 with regards to me not responding to you with arrangements to settle the amount owing to your client.

As you will see from the enclosed copies of letters, I have been in contact with Lowell Financial with regards to the above account for well over 5 weeks. I am acting in good faith and trying to come to an arrangement to bring this matter to a close so would appreciate you bringing any intended legal action to a halt........

Any additions/deletions to be made?

Cheers

Philius

I would word it:
    I write in response to your letter of 18/4/2007 with regards to my failure to respond to you with arrangements to settle the amount owing to your client.

As you will see from the enclosed copies of letters dated X,Y, Z , I have been in contact with Lowell Financial with regards to arranging a settlement on the above account for well over 5 weeks.

I am acting in good faith in trying to come to bring this matter to a close and as such I would appreciate you reconsidering your intention of continuing with any intended legal action........

I hope this helps you
    Sealed Pot Challenge Member Number #1906
  • Philius
    Philius Posts: 12 Forumite
    Thanks guys - Much appreciated

Philius
  • Philius wrote: »
    Hi,

Whilst I've only just registered, I've been lurking, reading and listening to the advice given for ages.

I've had a look around and can't find any threads where anyone is in the same sort of position as me, so I'm asking for any help you can offer.

In a nutshell......
    I took out a 10k loan about 5 years ago and made payments for about a year before stopping paying altogether (unforseen circumstances). I haven't paid anything for 4 years and over that time the debt has been passed from DCA to DCA.

Recently I've started to get my life in order and have gradually paid off all of my credit card debts - totalling over 7k (which I'd also defaulted on) and am making moves to pay off the above loan.

I received a letter from the DCA - Lowell Financial (on behalf of Lowell Portfolio 1) detailing the debt (approx 9k) and telling me I had to call them. I wrote to them on 03/03/07 (using a template I found on this site:T ) offering a full and final settlement of approx 3500. They wrote back on 26/03/07 offering a f&fs of 8100 (with 28 days to pay). I wrote back that day saying I couldn't afford that much and could go up to 4k.

Then, on 18/04/07 I got a letter from Hamptons Legal (a trading style of Lowell Financial) threatening legal proceedings as I had failed to contact them. On 27/04/07 I got a letter from Lowell Financial thanking me for my correspondance and asking me to call them.

Yesterday I posted another letter to Lowell Financial stating that I could only communicate via letter.

The today I received another letter from Hamptons Legal (dated 30/04/07) saying that no further written warnings would be issued and they would start legal procedings unless I call them immediately.

Clearly I have been in contact with Lowell Financial for over 5 weeks and yet because I haven't contacted Hamptons Legal (the SAME COMPANY), they're trying to take me to court!

I don't know what to do, should I write to Hamptons Legal and tell them i'm already in communication with their client or what?

All I want to do is try and clear my debt - but they're making it so difficult to do so.

Please help - any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Philius

I've just received 330/659/HCLC3DEF.
    These appear to be computer generated letters.
    The previous ones were 7 days notice. This is 3 days notice.
    It also says that "No Further written reminders will be sent to you."
    Not sure why the capital 'F'.
    I reply by e-mail but they just ignore my communications and send the next letter in the series. This has been going on since November 2006.
    My experience is if creditor banks go ahead with court action, they don't bother to attend the hearing and I just set my repayment at £5 per month.
    I believe this can all be dealt with on-line now.
    I believe that they pay 5% of the value of the debt.
    Check to see to whom you owe the money.
    If it was a credit card company, contact them for a letter stating to whom they sold the debt and ask for a copy of the original agreement which you signed with them.
    Remember limited companies are legal entities.
    Lowell Group PLC, Lowell Portfolio I Ltd, Lowell Portfolio II Ltd and Lowell Financial Ltd are all separate entities. They need to produce proof if they have transferred the debt to another company.
    Stick to written communication.
    Remember the old saying "A verbal contract is not worth the paper it's written on!".
    Good luck.
    Norman.:rotfl:
  • Philius
    NormanK wrote: »
    I've just received 330/659/HCLC3DEF.
    These appear to be computer generated letters.
    The previous ones were 7 days notice. This is 3 days notice.
    It also says that "No Further written reminders will be sent to you."
    Not sure why the capital 'F'.
    I reply by e-mail but they just ignore my communications and send the next letter in the series. This has been going on since November 2006.
    My experience is if creditor banks go ahead with court action, they don't bother to attend the hearing and I just set my repayment at £5 per month.
    I believe this can all be dealt with on-line now.
    I believe that they pay 5% of the value of the debt.
    Check to see to whom you owe the money.
    If it was a credit card company, contact them for a letter stating to whom they sold the debt and ask for a copy of the original agreement which you signed with them.
    Remember limited companies are legal entities.
    Lowell Group PLC, Lowell Portfolio I Ltd, Lowell Portfolio II Ltd and Lowell Financial Ltd are all separate entities. They need to produce proof if they have transferred the debt to another company.
    Stick to written communication.
    Remember the old saying "A verbal contract is not worth the paper it's written on!".
    Good luck.
    Norman.:rotfl:

Cheers Norman - very useful info!:T
  • ratttyo
    ratttyo Posts: 105 Forumite
    Be very careful of this company. They started send ing me in letters a few months ago and they are a bunch of pests!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/77779-lowells-preying-vulnerable.html
  • taxi73
    taxi73 Posts: 20,815 Forumite
    Hi I just wanted to say welcome.The above posters have offered good advice about sending the letter to both companies recorded delivery and yes that letter is fine
  • Philius
    ratttyo wrote: »
    Be very careful of this company. They started send ing me in letters a few months ago and they are a bunch of pests!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/77779-lowells-preying-vulnerable.html

Thanks for the advice.

I sent my letters off last week, and after checking this morning, they've both been received and signed for.

Sit back and wait for a response now I guess.....
  • Philius
    Just a thought - but after reading a few other threads do you think it's wise to ask for my cca? Should I be asking Lowell or the original lender?

Cheers

Philius
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family