New Deal Railcard for Jobseekers

Options
Not sure if this is on the right thread but wondered if anyone had one of these or any more info about it. Ive never heard of it up till now. Could come in handy for travelling to interviews etc. but not too sure of exact details and this is a bit vague...Has anyone got one of these via Job Centre?

http://www.railsaver.co.uk/railcard-vs-railpass.html#NewDealRailcard
:smileyhea

Comments

• briona
    briona Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Options
    I haven't come across the railcard before but I knew there was a New Deal Stagecoach bus pass in existence. A quick Google brought up a thread on here. I have quoted it below:
    Hello,

To anyone who is currently on JSA 'New Deal' scheme. Something the jobcentre may have omitted to tell you :

You are entitled to A 'New Deal' train and bus pass. These entitle you to half price fares for around 3 months. You just need to ask at the jobcentre and fill in a simple form with 2 passport photos.
    When you buy a ticket you show it and get it half price

They have a habit of not mentioning this scheme to you .
    But it can save you quite a lot if your travelling a lot on public transport.:T

Hope that helps.

Briona
    If I don't respond to your posts, it's probably because you're on my 'Ignore' list.
  • Sunshine12
    Sunshine12 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Briona.

Ive just phoned Job Centre (in Scotland, England may be different) and they are suggesting it no longer exists. Never sure though - they said they had never heard of it in the first place!!!
    :smileyhea
  • briona
    briona Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Options
    I've just checked a few train websites and interestingly it ISN'T mentioned as a railcard option on Scotrail's site but it is on some of the English train companies' sites...

The link below shows some of the available railcards. If you are under 25 I would recommend the 16-25 Railcard. It costs £26 per year and you save up to 33% on each rail fare.

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/content/railcards.html
    If I don't respond to your posts, it's probably because you're on my 'Ignore' list.
  • Marsupial
    Options
    From the Rail Saver page:

There is a separate scheme in Scotland. Photocards are issued for periods of up to six months, but discounts are only available on Seven Day Season Tickets for journeys wholly within Scotland. JobCentres themselves also sell certain Standard Day Return tickets for Scottish journeys, again at a 50% discount.
    The scheme is governed by an agreement between ATOC and Jobcentre Plus, which was renewed in 2002 and remains effective until either party proposes to end it.

You may want to check out those tickets you can buy from the Job Centre, if possible. Also, the list of accepted rail cards on a train site, such as Scot Rail may not be exhaustive. There is no mention of the New Deal Railcard on the South West Trains website, as far as I could see from a quick search but they certainly do accept it.
  • Apolonation
    Apolonation Posts: 304 Forumite
    edited 22 January 2010 at 9:30PM
    Options
    You can travel on the busses with a discount oyster card. You get a form from post office. Take them benefits letter. They issue you with photocard valid for 6 months. Half price oyster on busses for 6 months, regardless if you go back to work in the 6 months.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/5568.aspx

Also looks like new deal photocard is still in use....

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/1024.aspx

:)
    whinge intr.v. whinged, whing·ing, whing·es Chiefly British To complain or protest, especially in an annoying or persistent manner.
  • matthewkn
    Options
    I've just phoned up my local job centre (Newmarket) and they said the New Deal Railcard doesn't 'kick in' until about 6 months after you've been signing. Given that I've only been signing for a month I guess that means no discounted travel for me lol! Hope this helps clear a few things up for a few people:)

Matt
  • SheppeyWardenBay
    Options
    briona wrote: »
    I haven't come across the railcard before but I knew there was a New Deal Stagecoach bus pass in existence. A quick Google brought up a thread on here. I have quoted it below:

Hope that helps.

Briona

Hi, I am due to get a new deal railcard this week. It'll be my 2nd one. My JSA advisor is pretty good. Takes a couple of minutes to get sorted!!!:T:T:T
  • InDebted2U_2
    InDebted2U_2 Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I am due to get a new deal railcard this week. It'll be my 2nd one. My JSA advisor is pretty good. Takes a couple of minutes to get sorted!!!:T:T:T
    Do they give you the card there and then on the spot if you have your passport photos? I was just looking at getting one of these in time to use next week.
    2021 Targets
    find my smile again
    :money:
  • ian_h
    ian_h Posts: 340 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry to retrieve an old thread but i have asked my adviser for one and been blanked as if they dont know what they are - then when I found a link on the national archives they told me it only applies to claimants in London - is there anything I can do to prove they still exist?
  • MsHoarder
    MsHoarder Posts: 410 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know about the New Deal Railcard, but I was told at my jobseekers' interview this week to ask the job centre for a pass to travel by train if I'm getting the train to interviews. So if you need to get a train in a hurry they might be able to do that for you.
    "Every single person has at least one secret that would break your heart. If we could just remember this, I think there would be a lot more compassion and tolerance in the world."
    — Frank Warren
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport