supermarket petrol

Is there any difference between petrol bought at a petrol retailer, say texaco or shell, and the petrol sold at a supermarket.
I've been told different things, some people are adamant supermarket petrol is cheap and nasty, but some people say it all comes from the same place.
I'm just talking about the basic stuff, not the more expensive ones that have extra stuff added.
Does anyone know for sure?

Comments

• There may be minimal differances but nothing to be concerned about. I've been using Sainsburys ordinary unleaded in my V6 sports car for over a year now and I get better mpg out it than using Shell Optimax or BP Ultimate.
    Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Snoochie Boochies
  • balsingh
    balsingh Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You really need to try it and see if there is a difference. It all depends on how your car takes to the different fuels.

I used a Fiat Coupe Turbo which ran really well on Sainsburys fuel but didnt agree with other supermarket fuels.

My brother drives a Ferrari and he can instantly tell the difference - he only uses Shell fuel. He tried Sainsburys Super once and the car just didnt run as well.
    If you found my comment helpful, please click the 'Thanks' button below :T
  • jjames_3
    jjames_3 Posts: 363 Forumite
    It's not just supermarket ones, nor is it only performance vehicles.

My humble 1.3 Hyundai Accent is distinctly displeased with Esso or Tesco fuel. It runs a lot smoother with virtually anything else, but it hates these two. There's no loss of economy that I can discern, but the engine is noticably noisier and rougher, and it can't be doing it much good.
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Is there any difference between petrol bought at a petrol retailer, say texaco or shell, and the petrol sold at a supermarket.

The fuel is the same, but the texaco, shell, etc fuel has extra additives.
    Does anyone know for sure?

The oil companies that supply the supermarkets.
  • djohn2002uk
    djohn2002uk Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    I used Tesco and Asda deisel from new for 6 months. Then after reading a thread on here, ran the tank low and filled up with shell. After the second filling with Shell my mpg increased by 4 to 45.5mpg. The Shell deisel was 3p/litre cheaper too.
    Also experienced some stalling but not since using Shell.
  • BobToo
    BobToo Posts: 109 Forumite
    Tesco opened a shop in my town, squeezed the other three petrol stations out of business then hiked the price up. This was so obvious that even the apathetic public noticed and the price has come down a bit but I don't forget. If my tank is really low I'll put two litres in on my credit card and drive 10 miles to the nearest real petrol station.
  • robnye
    robnye Posts: 5,411 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    until recently i wouldnt have beleived this sort of thing,
    but whilst on holiday (last week), my vauxhall zafira 'engine management system' console light came on and stayed on, after taking it to a local garage in wadebridge, cornwall.
    the fault was identified and cleaned (saving £100 for new part), when i talked to the mechanic, he asked about fuel, I always use asda, filled up before travelling to cornwall, then filled up with esso, 3 days later light came.
    after garage had solved problem, drove away and later on put more petrol in from esso, within miles the light had come back on, this continued until I got home on saturday, went to asda sunday, filled up, light went off, came back on, it has now gone back off...

the mechanic had said, that supermarkets fuel doesnt have the same additives as esso/shell/bp etc........ which sounded feasible, but i remember this discussion before and the argument about whether a fuel lorry will visit different petrol stations during the the same load.......

makes you wonder though.

anyway I think my Zafira doesnt like esso .... and as asda is well cheaper, will stick to that, unless some can prove there is a difference
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to.... ;) :cool:
  • balsingh
    If you look back to the 80s, there used to be 3 grades of fuel, 2*, 3* and 4*. Most cars woudl happily run on 2*, but 3* and 4* had additives to make the car run better (but it cost more). In essence, the same difference between the supermarket and Esso/Shell fuels now.
  • balsingh wrote:
    If you look back to the 80s, there used to be 3 grades of fuel, 2*, 3* and 4*. Most cars woudl happily run on 2*, but 3* and 4* had additives to make the car run better (but it cost more). In essence, the same difference between the supermarket and Esso/Shell fuels now.

Petrol used to be sold in 2*, 3*, 4* and 5* ratings. However, this had nothing to do with what, if any, additives were included in its composition. The stars denoted the octane rating of the petrol The higher the star rating the higher the octane rating. High performance cars usually had a higher compression ratio and therefore required a higher octane rating. This could be altered by retarding the timing, but then they did not run as well. Your average family saloon would normally run on either 3* or 4*.

And, of course, the main additive in those days was lead!!
  • balsingh
    I remember my dad used to have an early 80s Nissan Sunny - we were told to run it on 4*. Thats what it said in the owners manual and thats what the dealer recommended.

When dad upgraded to a BMW 5-series, he was told to use 3* - and it did say that in the book. Strange eh!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport