Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Donating used bedding to a charity

We have duvets, duvet covers, sheets and pillows that we'd like to donate to any charity which could make use of them. Local charity shops and clothing banks won't take (space issues I guess) and a homeless charity in Birmingham requests donations of new bedding only.

Obviously giving away on Freecycle might be an option, but does anyone know of any West Midlands' charities that might want?

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If you google 'homeless charities in Birmingham, you should come up with at least one. Other than that, do you have any animal sanctuaries, kennels are usually happy to take duvets etc.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • gaztruman
    gaztruman Posts: 64 Forumite
    My girlfriend through all our old bedding away the other day. I felt like it should have gone to a charity shop or another home.
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,709
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    charity shops round here would taked washed bedlinen; chances are though that finding someone to take used duvets and pillow might be harder, for hygiene reasons and also because of fire safety issues.

You could try RSPCA or animal shelters as they may use duvets/pillows for animal bedding.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • pinetree
    pinetree Posts: 239 Forumite
    edited 3 August 2012 at 11:50AM
    Hi, I know its too far away for you but for anyone nearer the west norfolk RSPCA wildlife and seal sanctuary always need blankets and sheets for their birds and annimals. :)
  • warwicktiger
    warwicktiger Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    Animal shelters, also the Guide Dogs for the Blind HQ in Leamington Spa are always advertising locally for used bedding. Can give you the address if you wish.
  • Limana68
    Limana68 Posts: 486 Forumite
    Sue Ryder Care Charity shops take used bedding, not sure if you have one near you though!
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Help the aged will actually take them, even if they are not usable again, they can sell them as rags and so add to their income.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    McKneff wrote: »
    Help the aged will actually take them, even if they are not usable again, they can sell them as rags and so add to their income.

^^^ This... a lot of charity shops have a 'rag man' that comes and buys all the stuff that is not suitable for sale - he usually pays by weight so everything helps.
    :hello:
  • Your local Children's Services Social Work Office should be glad to take them - I know our local one is always looking for bedding etc., for families
  • mel12
    mel12 Posts: 298 Forumite
    birmingham dogs home have lots of posters in their kennels saying they're desperate for donations of blankets etc.
    Only after the last tree has been cut down,
    Only after the last river has been poisoned,
    Only after the last fish has been caught,
    Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business