Is it legal/safe to drive with a cracked windcreen?

Comments

• Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks for all your advice,I am more concerned about the safety of my husband and child than getting a ticket.
    I think it is wrong of Autoglass to say its legal without seeing the windscreen.

Well get a taxi then!
  • Hintza wrote: »
    Well get a taxi then!

It would be about £15 each way to the hospital,care to lend me the money?
    your comment was so helpful you seem like the generous type.
  • OP, beware the crack COULD spread!

Thanks I don't think I will risk it.
  • Ian_W
    Ian_W Posts: 3,778
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Why not re-contact your insurers in the morning, explain your need to use the vehicle before AG can replace, your concerns about safety & legality and ask if they have an alternative approved supplier for such occasions?

If not, will they allow you to use a supplier of your own choosing without the usual limits for non-approved glass repairs or alternatively (if your policy provides for one) supply a courtesy car as you consider yours to be unroadworthy due to an insured peril until it's fixed.
  • Ian_W wrote: »
    Why not re-contact your insurers in the morning, explain your need to use the vehicle before AG can replace, your concerns about safety & legality and ask if they have an alternative approved supplier for such occasions?

If not, will they allow you to use a supplier of your own choosing without the usual limits for non-approved glass repairs or alternatively (if your policy provides for one) supply a courtesy car as you consider yours to be unroadworthy due to an insured peril until it's fixed.

Thank you for your reply.
    Already tried all of the above unfortunatly the policy is with kwikfit underwritten by ABC and they will not budge.
    they told me I am free to use an unauthorised supplier but the excess will be more than the usual £60 and it will count as a claim and lead to a loss of no claims bonus,likewise using a courtesy car will count as a claim.
    Does it usually take 48 hrs to get a windscreen replaced?
  • scbk
    scbk Posts: 1,216
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Just phone a local windscreen company who might be able to help you quicker, although since it would then be weds morning they might not be able to do much better than autoglass's thursday if they're busy or dont have the screen in stock
  • If the crack was too big for Autoglass to repair it, then it cannot be deemed as safe.
  • Mark_Hewitt
    Mark_Hewitt Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    Is it within the 'swept area', i.e. is it within the area that your windscreen wipers covers. If it is then don't drive. If it isn't and it's a minor chip then it's not an MOT failure AFAIK.
  • Is it within the 'swept area', i.e. is it within the area that your windscreen wipers covers. If it is then don't drive. If it isn't and it's a minor chip then it's not an MOT failure AFAIK.

It certainly an mot failure.
    I am not going to drive it until fixed,Ii was just suprised when Autoglass told me it was safe and legal to drive with it,they are aware it is too large to be repaired as they have charged me the excess for a replacement.
  • stugib
    stugib Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    I had a 12 inch curved crack starting from the top edge on the passenger side. Drove with it for 3 days before Autoglass could get to me, over some very bumpy country lanes, and was fine. Don't fret about it, what's the worst that can happen? It's not going to shatter and cave in on you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure