Meter Registration Service ???!!!

Comments

• I too have been plagued by 'The Meter Registration Service Ltd' since moving to new premises - they won't take no for an answer and promise menacingly to keep phoning up until I give in and give them my meter number.

Just had my daily call from one of the 'managers' called Lee who said he was going to send me an emergency bill.

Fed up I tried to find them - nothing in Google or BT but I did find their accountants through companies house.

Lastly I tried typing in the company name as a web address and bingo!

Here is their information for those that need it:

http://www.meterregistrationservice.co.uk

Benjamin Dexter Ltd.
    3rd Floor, Swan Buildings
    Swan Street
    Manchester
    M4 5JW

0161 839 5530
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    contact energywatch sounds dodgy to me
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • Thanks - looking on their website they describe themselves as

"Meter Registration Service is a trading style of Benjamin Dexter Limited who act as an independant energy broker"

so I corrected spelling of independent and searched http://www.energywatch.org.uk

found this useful article

http://www.energywatch.org.uk/bst/help_and_advice/energy_sales_activity/index.asp

off to investigate a complaint with trading standards

also - they also have this domain name:

http://benjamindexterltd.co.uk/

(no website yet) but here are the registration details:
    http://webwhois.nic.uk/cgi-bin/whois.cgi?query=benjamindexterltd.co.uk&WHOIS+Submit.x=43&WHOIS+Submit.y=12
  • 7db
    7db Posts: 148 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I just had a call from them - Angie.

- Who are you?
    - It's our job to make sure that everyone registers their meter with an electricity company
    - And who gives you that job?
    - We work with electricity suppliers to ensure that meters are registered.
    - And who owns The Meter Registration Service
    - I'm sorry i don't know it's my first day here.

Line dead.
  • I had a call today from Commercial Meter Registrations and stupidly gave them my meter reading and serial no, together with my bank details. I rang them up later to tell them that I've since found out that we're with a service provider already (which we are), and that I wanted to cancel - they said fine and I asked them to send me confirmation in writing and they agreed to do this.

These lot insist that they're not the same company as discussed here but I'm still worried.

I've phoned my bank and alerted them and was told to call back in a month (when the Direct Debit is scheduled to begin).

The thing that really worries me is that I agreed to a verbal, recorded contract ovet the phone. Can anybody tell me where I stand?

Thanks,
    Nick.
  • Hi Guys,

Maybe I can tell you where you stand on this.

Firstly this "company" will tell you anything to get you to agree to a verbal contract. We have a number of recordings regarding this company (they even tried it with us when we moved offices). These are a set of rogues and I have mentioned them in previous posts of mine.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES PASS OVER YOUR BANK DETAILS TO THIS COMPANY.

Without them it is unlikely they can do anything. They only target businesses (I believe) and usually new ones at that. If you have recently moved premises or set up a new business this may ring true (post back and to let me know).

What can you do If you have agreed a verbal contract and passed over your bank details?

The first thing to do is contact your existing supplier (do not take the word of what Meter Registration Services said and who that supplier was) If you don't know for sure then contact your local MPAS service.

Speak with your supplier and inform them that you do not wish to transfer you supply, they can object or stop the supply transfering on your behalf (in most instances) if you request it.

The second thing to do is contact the (proposed)supplier that Meter Registration Services recommended to you and tell them that under no circumstances do you wish them to proceed with the recently agreed contract, due to it being obtained under false pretences. Ask the supplier to confirm that they will not commence with the contract (they may not even have received it yet) and take a name of the supplier advisor that you speak with along with a contact number. Ask if the call is being recorded and if you can have a copy of the recording sent to you.

In addition you need to complain to the (proprosed)supplier about the method of the sale and by the company Meter Registration Services (possibly known to the supplier as Benjamin Dexter Ltd).Try asking for the contact details for the Sme External sales manager / director to lodge an official complaint. Pass over the details of the individual agent that you agreed the contract with if you have them.

If the supplier that you agreed the contract with is the same supplier as you currently have, then breaking the contract will be difficult but not impossible. You will first of all need to get a copy of the call recording (this will only be the part of the conversation where the contratc was agreed to) and check to see that the offer you accepted is the one that supplier confirms they are going to proceed with. (quite often they arent and pricing mistakes are made which is the lever that you need)

Thirdly call back Meter Registration Services and ask them not to proceed with the contract. If you have a mobile phone that can record conversations then use that.

I am expecting the mobile contact details through for the head of Benjamin Dexter shortly so that MSE members can "voice opinions".

If the mods of this board would rather I didn't post it then tell me so now before its too late.

Maybe Fatlad will be on later to give his view and add any additional input.

BusinessEnergyBroker
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ...If the mods of this board would rather I didn't post it then tell me so now before its too late...

This forum does not have moderators; it has an abuse team who, surprise surprise, deals with abusive, offensive and other non-compliant posts, Board guides also exist who aide the general running of the boards by, for example, moving threads to more suitable sub-forums, removing duplicate threads, etc, but they are not responsible for 'governing' the content i.e. abusive, offensive or other non-compliant content.

I suggest you carefully read through and fully understand the terms & conditions of this site and those of this forum before you continue to post.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.html?f=10
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Well,

I have read through them and I can't see any reason not to post the number when I get it. Lets face it its only a number where customer complaints can be directed and there are many of those on here.
  • TTDN
    TTDN Posts: 5 Forumite
    BusinessEnergyBroker,

Whether you post the no. or not, thanks for all your advice - I'll be on the phone in the morning!

Cheers,
    Nick.
  • Great post BEB
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills