Electric Oven replacing. Plug point but hardwiring?

Hi all,

New to the board so thanks for reading firstly.

My built in electric oven has died on me. Which aint great when I have 2 children who love thri food. LOL.

Anyway I removed the oven from the unit to be confronted by a plug point! New house as well by the way so never looked behind the oven before. All the built in ovens I have seen need hardwiring and dont come with plugs or cable by the looks of things..

I am just wondering if anyone knows how easy it is to hardwire an built in electric oven when a plug point there??

Thank you in advance

Comments

• If your new oven is less than 2Kw it will be ok to plug it in where the old one was.
  • Thanks for that.

But it looks like I have found one that does need hardwiring and comes with a plug. So a case of just swapping them over then
  • thechippy
    thechippy Posts: 1,938 Forumite
    I'm confused. It needs hard wiring but comes with a plug?
    If it comes with a plug, then it means it can be plugged in.
    If not, it generally means that it needs to be hard wired and will need a 32-40a dedicated supply. If that's the case, you will need to get an electrician in to sort out the supply.

Can you give any further info......
    Happiness, is a Kebab called Doner.....:heart2::heart2:
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Our oven just has a normal 13 amp 3-pin mains plug.
    The (separate) hob needs hard-wiring, but not the oven.
  • premkit
    premkit Posts: 244 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    about 80% of single ovens are 13amp fused, some all singing and dancing are 20amp.

look at the data badge on the oven, it will be on the rebate when you open the door near the rubber seal. 3.1Kw is the max(3100w) this may sound a lot,
    but most new kettles are 3Kw.

the new oven you put in should have access to the fuse ie above the worktop in a fused spur or a socket in an accessable position. not behind the oven.
    hope this helps
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    If it needed to be hard wired, it would not come with a plug. As suggested, it would be a good idea to double check the rating plate on the appliance, just to be certain what is the power required. If it is 3kw or less then you can plug it in to the socket. Premkit is right about having an accessible local isolation facility for use in case of an emergency or for maintenance.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • Dave1987
    Dave1987 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 10 December 2010 at 11:33PM
    i am lookng to buy a new built in oven now it says it needs hardwiring but i have read on here that if its 3kw or less you can fit a 13a plug well the oven ive seen has an energy consumption of 0.79kw, so im ok to fit a 13a plug is that correct.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    edited 11 December 2010 at 12:20AM
    generally speaking all modern ovens can be plugged into a 13 amp socket.
    its the hobs that need to be hardwired. switching all the rings on together exceeds the 3kw limit.

you can usually tell which is which, by the flex that comes with the oven.
    if it looks like an appliance or kettle flex, itll be a 13 amp jobby.
    Get some gorm.
  • This is the only example I have read on here where I think that the OP doesn't really have a clue and although people have tried to help in their replies I can imagine it being confusing.

Please do not try DIYing this - it could be lethal! Get some qualified electricians in to give you no obligation quotes - 3 if possible - and get them to do it.

I have learnt about the way ovens and hobs are wired in with a lot of sparks and a melted metal socket thinking "hmm that was close and not meant to happen - think I am going to turn all the electricity off now"!

Learnt my lesson and know how it all works now - but it is not a job to consider unless you have a sound knowledge of electrics because it could have serious consequences - electricution / fires.

Sorry if I have pi55ed on any of the more competent sparks fires on here - but this post worried me as I don't think she, or anyone should be mucking about with this if they don't have even a basic clue!
  • zax47
    zax47 Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    edited 12 December 2010 at 2:45PM
    Sillywilly, seeing as the OP asked the question NEARLY TWO YEARS AGO then I don't think it's an issue!

Anyway, as some of my fellow sparkies have said above; Most SINGLE ovens are now <3kW, come with a 13A plug fitted and are thus designed to be plugged in. DOUBLE ovens and hobs are generally >3kW and must be hardwired to a dedicated circuit wired with a suitably sized cable and protected by a suitably sized breaker/fuse. What constitutes "suitably sized" is why we're trained electricians!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure