Disabled Person please leave parking space sign! Help please

Hello i have been having a look on the internet but cant seem to find an answer to my question so was hoping that one of you nice people could help me.

The signs that say disabled person please leave parking space is this a legal requirement or just more of a polite note to say please leave access for disabled people.

Rather a long story of why i want to know this so just thought that would leave it out to make it less complicated.

Many thanks for any help that anyone can provide.

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Your post does not make much sense. Do you want to put one of these signs up, or is there one in a place where you wish to park?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • It depends where the sign is (if your asking about it)

If it is on a road, or council car park, then it is enforceable, ie if you park there in contravention you can be isued with a fixed penalty ticket, which if you do not pay, can be taken to a magistrates court.

If the sign is on private property or private car park it is a civil matter if someone contravenes it. You could be issued with a ticket which is infact an invoice, or if they pushed it, taken to the county court but it is not a criminal mater and not enforceable (unless taken to a county court),

If you sre trying to buy one - try any signwriters/signmakers.

Tally
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Tally-Ho wrote: »
    If it is on a road ... then it is enforceable

It isn't if some random person has put the sign there!
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Thanks for the info, the sign i am wondering about would be the ones that people get to put in front of there houses, to ask people parking on the road outside there house to leave a space for access (just wondering if this was legally inforceable).

Sorry i am not being very clear, i know what i want to say just not coming out the right way.
  • Thanks for the info, the sign i am wondering about would be the ones that people get to put in front of there houses, to ask people parking on the road outside there house to leave a space for access (just wondering if this was legally inforceable).

Sorry i am not being very clear, i know what i want to say just not coming out the right way.

It would only be enforcible if the council obtained the relevant traffic order and placed the sign and any applicable road markings. If you just put up a sign it is only a polite request and not enforcible.

Of course, if you have a dropped kerb, that should not be blocked.

Tally
  • You need official permission from council to have one official put up and thats usually only way it can be proven you need one and the lack of adequate parking in your area

http://www.greenwich.gov.uk/Greenwich/Travel/Parking/DisabledDriversPassengers/DisabledParkingBays.htm

A disabled parking bay near your home

If you are a Blue Badge holder, you can apply for a disabled parking place near your home. If your application is successful, the parking place will be reserved for any Blue Badge holder.

NOTE: Any disabled person displaying a blue badge in his or her vehicle can park in a disabled bay for an unlimited period of time.

Who qualifies for one?

To qualify, you must hold a valid Blue Badge and:

• receive the higher rate mobility component of the disability living allowance
    • drive your own car
    • have no access to private parking, ie no garage or driveway
    • prove you are a local resident.
    NOTE: If you do not receive a qualifying allowance because you are of retirement age, you will need to supply medical information from your GP or hospital consultant to support your application.
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If you mean the white-marked bays that the council put outside your own property on the road, then they are generally advisory only.
  • colin13
    colin13 Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    can u not ask the council to mark off a disabled parking bay in front of ur house,,only thing is any disabled person can then park in that sapce
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure