Verified by Visa problems - anyone else?

Well this has never worked for me insisting that my date of birth is wrong. I phoned my bank on 5/7/07 and was told my DOB was wrong on a saver account and that this would be corrected. However the DOB was correct on my current account to which the visa debit card is linked. Today, they have removed the 'verify later' button so I cannot shop online at all without verifying the card and it refuses to verify the card stating my DOB is incorrect!!! 45 minutes on the phone to the bank and they have told me it is a software error which was corrected this morning - NOT!! If they had a known software error then why remove the 'verify later' button?? Now I am waiting for them to come back to me and I can't finish my Tesco shop GRRRRRRRRRRRR

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    This is why it is a good idea to have a back up card - just in case.
  • rjesson
    rjesson Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have been forced to register for "Verify by Visa" by Ocardo with my Nationwide Visa debit card.
    They insist on the password having upper case, lower case and numbers in it.
    Then when I wondered what will happen when I forget such a complicated password or get it mixed up with one of the seven other cards that I have. So I clicked on the "Help button" on the Verify page, and what happens? nothing!, the link is not complete or they have not bothered to write any help!!!

One would think that their web designer would have tested his work before posting such an important web page. I first thought that it was a scam page to be so poorly written, but unfortunately not, it is just another example of Visas contempt for their customers.
  • James
    James Posts: 2,059 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tried making a payment with a new CC today using my Nationwide Debit Card.

I too was forced to register with Verified by Visa (VbV). I didn't write the password down, and have never been asked for VbV until today.

When I got to my CC's payment page I filled everything in then it took me to VbV, I couldn't. I cancelled the transaction (or thought I did) as I hadn't entered the VbV password and contacted Nationwide.

Nationwide wouldn't let me opt of VbV although I told them I couldn't remember passwords and told them my alternative was to call my CC company and make a telephone payment. This being far less secure than the CC's secure page. Nationwide weren't interested.

I called my CC and to my amazement they confirmed a payment had been taken.

Seems VbV doesn't cater for those who can't remember passwords and payments are allowed to be taken on an https// without completing the VbV portion of the transaction.

Anybody out there managed to opt out of VbV
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The Nationwide VbV page is a pile of poo. It's a mess from beginning to end and we're supposed to believe it's in the name of security. If the secure parts are written as badly as the visible parts of the site, it's going to go pearshaped.

It allowed me to register my NW credit card. Then, when I finally found the correct way (it's not very user-friendly either!) to register an extra card, it insisted I'd entered the wrong details for my NW debit card.

Customer service were their usual helpless selves, so at the moment my account is locked through putting the incorrect details in too often (though they were all correct) at the request of CS.

I've given up for the moment, it's just too much like hard work....
  • In my (limited) experience, it doesn't matter if you remember your password. Every time you use it, you have the option to click "Forgotten Password" and reset it!
  • I probably have twenty passwords at work and at least as many on websites I use from home. I can remember a password, unfortunately Nationwide Verified by Visa cannot. If you phone up Nationwide, they start telling you all sorts of things like "we have a lot of new staff on, so what you were told before was wrong", "we approved it, it was the vendor who refused it", "we refused it because we regard that as a risky site" (I was trying to buy a lead for an ipod cost £4.79), if I ever decide to become a master criminal, trust me I will be aiming a little higher! THE PROBLEM WITH VERIFIED BY VISA FROM NATIONWIDE IS THAT IT DOES NOT WORK. Maybe they should spend a little less on fancy advertising and a little more on good programmers.

My only suggestion is change bank.
  • jambosans
    jambosans Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    parcy wrote: »
    I probably have twenty passwords at work and at least as many on websites I use from home. I can remember a password, unfortunately Nationwide Verified by Visa cannot. If you phone up Nationwide, they start telling you all sorts of things like "we have a lot of new staff on, so what you were told before was wrong", "we approved it, it was the vendor who refused it", "we refused it because we regard that as a risky site" (I was trying to buy a lead for an ipod cost £4.79), if I ever decide to become a master criminal, trust me I will be aiming a little higher! THE PROBLEM WITH VERIFIED BY VISA FROM NATIONWIDE IS THAT IT DOES NOT WORK. Maybe they should spend a little less on fancy advertising and a little more on good programmers.

My only suggestion is change bank.

My understanding was that Verified by Visa is a service provided through the Visa Network, so you can't solely place the blame it on Nationwide.

BTW this thread is three years old.
    Anything I post is my opinion, so from time to time I may be wrong. I try to provide answers based in fact, however I don't know everything, so (like all posters on MSE), take what I say with a pinch of salt.
  • someone
    someone Posts: 823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I found that after forgetting my first password, I couldn't remember every single on I set it to. I had to take the issue very high up with nationwide to be able to get the account reset to use the first password (which I can now remember).

As I work in computer security the Verified by Visa and SecureCode systems are so bad, it's crazy it got the go ahead. From my understanding it only prevents a cross over fraud in a limited situation (if you card gets skimmed and they take down the CSV2 number), however if they have access your name and DOB they can use your account.

Theres a recent paper into the matter, it's not the most in death article, explains superficially how it works and why its bad.

https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/Papers/fc10vbvsecurecode.pdf

There are at least 3 or 4 thinks that 'If I was a bad guy, I would do it this way' off the top of my head, but I don't want to post them in public due to who might use them. To be honest, to research breaking VbV on the internet is overkill. From what the user is show you can work it out. :s

[rant over]
  • jambosans
    jambosans Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    someone wrote: »
    Theres a recent paper into the matter, it's not the most in death article, explains superficially how it works and why its bad.

www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/Papers/fc10vbvsecurecode.pdf

Thanks for the PDF link, was an interesting read.
    Anything I post is my opinion, so from time to time I may be wrong. I try to provide answers based in fact, however I don't know everything, so (like all posters on MSE), take what I say with a pinch of salt.
  • My card has been rejected by VbyV before even logging in. My bank has no knowledge of me trying to make a transaction. I have rung the number given on the rejection notice, only to be told that the number is no longer in use. Is this company a scam???:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure