How much to get married in a registry office?

Although we are going to France to get married (we have to legally get married in the UK) Im just writing our budget and dont quite understand the fees. We would literally be spending 20minutes one week day morning doing the legal stuff with no guests as such, just the witnesses. I dont mean to be completely thick but am I right in thinking it will cost just under £150? (for using the Wiltshire Register Office)

http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/communityandliving/birthsdeathsmarriages/registrationfees.htm

Thank you :o

Comments

• yellowcrocus
    yellowcrocus Posts: 130 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    As far as I can work out it is £33 to reserve + £35 x 2 to give notice + £45 to register the marriage = £148. It's quite confusing!
  • ladypike
    ladypike Posts: 246 Forumite
    As far as I can work out it is £33 to reserve + £35 x 2 to give notice + £45 to register the marriage = £148. It's quite confusing!

Thank you, thats what I thought but I just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing anything.... like an extra £330 for something I didnt understand:-)
  • caz2003uk
    caz2003uk Posts: 673 Forumite
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Check with your registry office! That was how I has thought or was but it wasn't!

Our weddin will be on a Friday and is £194 but other days were well over that price! I asked why it seemed much higher than I has worked our and she explained that there is a difference when the ceremony will involve music readings etc etc the standard fees literally means a bog standard no frills ceremony so be prepares for the costs to be a bit more!
    :jEngaged 25/12/11 :j
    :smileyheaMarried the man of her dreams and became Mrs M on 26th April 2013 :smileyhea
  • MrsDrink
    MrsDrink Posts: 4,538 Forumite
    I second the above :)
    caz2003uk wrote: »
    Our weddin will be on a Friday and is £194 but other days were well over that price! I asked why it seemed much higher than I has worked our and she explained that there is a difference when the ceremony will involve music readings etc etc the standard fees literally means a bog standard no frills ceremony so be prepares for the costs to be a bit more!
    Ladypike is after the 'bog standard no frills' ceremony just to get legally married. What you're describing is the 'enhanced' ceremony where you get to chose readings, music, vows etc, this is what we're having :)
  • LADYPIKE wrote: »
    Although we are going to France to get married (we have to legally get married in the UK)

I'm slightly confused - why do you "have to legally get married in the UK"?
  • Roz_V
    Roz_V Posts: 1,152 Forumite
    Sleazy wrote: »

I may be wrong but I think there's a minimum residency period & quite strict restrictions for a legal marriage in France which means that the ceremony in France will be symbolic and not legally binding, hence doing the legal bit over here first. That's how it is in Spain anyhow :)
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sleazy wrote: »

Basically, they're getting married here, and having their big wedding day in France.

I make it £148 too by the way.
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • Sounds good plan - I think the French Residency stuff is quite hard work - better to get married here and enjoy the party en France
  • angelil
    angelil Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I confirm that having actually got married in France last year (have lived here since 2008) the paperwork is VERY hard work, yes!! It's bad enough just booking 6 months ahead...they do like things to be quite last minute here, which makes it all the harder :/
  • ladypike
    ladypike Posts: 246 Forumite
    shellsuit wrote: »
    Basically, they're getting married here, and having their big wedding day in France.

I make it £148 too by the way.

Thats it in a nutshell shellsuit, you have to be resident in france for 40 days before getting married so its much easier to get the legal stuff done here and then go to Brittany for all the fab food and cider:-)
    Thanks for everyones help, I've put the cost in to our budget and hopefully when I get myself to the registry office to book it they will tell me the same amount:-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure