uPVC door lock mechanism broken!

Just today the lock mechanism on my uPVC door gave in. At first it was only the door "latch" that wouldn't retract so i took that off (simple screw) and could still secure the door by the shoot bolts (hook type) and lock it. Now the shoot bolts are stuck in place and the handle doesn't do anything! Luckily, the door is stuck shut, not open. Both times there was a failure of something in the door - I felt it go.

Any ideas anyone, about where to go from here? Can I open the door some how and replace the mechanism? Or does the whole frame and door need to be ripped out and replaced? :o

UPdate - Just after posting the above I had a brainwave and can now open and secure the door by the shoot bolts! Can I replace the mechanism easily?
Apparently, if you lose one sense, others senses are enhanced. That's why those who have no sense of humour have an enlarged sense of self-importance.

Comments

• you can get replacement gears no problem. Need to get the door open first though.lol. If the hookbolts are in the full lock position you'll have to try and get the hinges off. If you cant do that you're gonna struggle. If the hooks are only slightly engaged you might be able to lever the sash away from the frame. Risk of putting a dent in the plastic though. If you get it open the gearing should have a makers name just below the latch. Do a search and you'll find a number of companies that do them. Let me know and i'll get you a price as i get a good discount. Easy to fit, its getting to it that might be a problem.

Good luck
  • almacmil
    almacmil Posts: 4,428 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks Stryker and Ormus.

I've managed to open the door by using a flat blade screwdriver to move the "roller cam" (tho' my roller cam is different to the one in the link above).

I presume I just remove the "face plate" running the vertical length of the door edge to access the lock and mechanism?
    Apparently, if you lose one sense, others senses are enhanced. That's why those who have no sense of humour have an enlarged sense of self-importance.
  • you need to take the handle off first, then take out the cylinder which is screwed in and maybe offset. So slightly turn the key when pulling it out. Google the make of the gearing and you should find a supplier. They range from £45 to £120 ish depending on how many hook bolts there are
  • Hi guys,

With regards to a broken mechanism, the same happened to me the other day but I'm still at the position of not being able to open the door as the rollers are still engaged. I've managed to remove the euro cylinder and can move across the spring loaded cam, which the cam in the euro lock moves across usually, but the door handle refuses to go past horizontal. Obviously something else has gone and it's not the cylinder!!! How can the rollers be disengaged from this position, without me going to extremes of removing hinges or glass panels??? Or is this my only alternative.....?

Any assistance most welcome.

R.
  • hi i have a upvc door and the key is stuck but its open the bolt that locks the door isnt moving the key wont turn left and right weve tried everything we could think of is there any sugestions anyone has to help us? much appreciated x
  • david69_2
    david69_2 Posts: 580 Forumite
    I personally think think type of work should be left to pro's contact either a locksmith or better still a dg repairer in your yellow pages
  • lowbo69 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

With regards to a broken mechanism, the same happened to me the other day but I'm still at the position of not being able to open the door as the rollers are still engaged. I've managed to remove the euro cylinder and can move across the spring loaded cam, which the cam in the euro lock moves across usually, but the door handle refuses to go past horizontal. Obviously something else has gone and it's not the cylinder!!! How can the rollers be disengaged from this position, without me going to extremes of removing hinges or glass panels??? Or is this my only alternative.....?

Any assistance most welcome.

R.
    check on the outside that the door sash aligns with the frame usually this happens if the door has dropped on the lock side .if this is the case then the lock mechanism will catch in the recievers .you can try taking the beads out holding the glass and repacking glass .to do this you need a packer underneath the glass on the hinge side and at the side of glass,then on the lock side you need a packer at the top side of glass and top edge of glass.put packers then as required to bot of glass at hinge side and top of glass lock side you will need to lever up with a chisel (use packer on edge of glass to stop breakage)untill the gap across top of door sash is parallel with frame .if this doesnt work then depending on hinges you can just take the pins out
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
  • vancreef
    vancreef Posts: 42 Forumite
    i got up this morning to find my front door will not open. the key turns, and i can hear the lock 'click', but the handle still feels solid in the horizontal position. i noticed that the handle feels very 'floppy' when lifted, when normally there would be a little bit of resistance. i was told to take the door off it's hinges, but they are the type that have screw-in bolts, top and bottom, which are aslo secured in place by grub-screws, which are concealed when the door is closed. does anyone have any ideas as to how i can solve this? oh by the way, hi all. sorry for seeming ignorant, but i am desperate to get this sorted asap.
    cheers.
  • if the door sash is not parellel to the frame this can cause the locking mechanism (not the barrel were the key turns) to jam if you pm me if this is your problem i will explain how to rectify this
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure