Can't sign up for Santander online banking? Look here

Just got off the phone with Santander after trying to register for online banking about ten times and being unable to despite making sure everything was correct.

If you have a debit card that starts with 4757, these are apparently still brand new and not recognised on all of their systems.

Call customer services and register over the phone instead. Was told I should have three letters with all of my Internet banking details by Wednesday.
What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.

Comments

• SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    matttye wrote: »
    Just got off the phone with Santander after trying to register for online banking about ten times and being unable to despite making sure everything was correct.

If you have a debit card that starts with 4757, these are apparently still brand new and not recognised on all of their systems.

I have two Santander cards beginning 4757. One is more than a year old and I've used it to sign up to their online banking service.

And, according to the list here, it's not even unique to Santander.

I'm guessing the next two digits on your card aren't 14.
  • matttye
    matttye Posts: 4,828 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    SnowTiger wrote: »
    I have two Santander cards beginning 4757. One is more than a year old and I've used it to sign up to their online banking service.

And, according to the list here, it's not even unique to Santander.

I'm guessing the next two digits on your card aren't 14.

They are 14!

4757 14

I'm just repeating what the guy in customer services told me, but if the first four digits are on cards over a year old it's obviously not that new :p
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
  • The_pc_tech
    The_pc_tech Posts: 422 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    That list on Wikipedia is incorrect for at least one bank so treat it with a cellar of salt.

Did they sort the registration for you though in the end?
    Interests: PCs. servers, networks, mobiles and music (esp. trance)
  • matttye
    That list on Wikipedia is incorrect for at least one bank so treat it with a cellar of salt.

I called and they registered me on the phone. They said they'd had a lot of reports about cards starting with 4757 not being able to sign up for internet banking.

They said I should have my details in the post on Wednesday, but can take up to five days so might be Friday.
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
  • reclusive46
    reclusive46 Posts: 2,698 Forumite

Cards BINs update a lot, probably one of the main causes its wrong.
  • todaysteaser
    todaysteaser Posts: 30 Forumite
    Hi
    It took ages to get registered for online banking with Santander, 2 attempts to get a card as they forgot to order one, trying to set up online transfer from another bank, they sent me a direct debit form, they keep telling me to use my surcode, I keep asking what is a surcode and they dont answer. Id advise anyone to bank elsewere as i will be doing when banks open tomorrow, a complete disaster and all I want is a savings account.
    J
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    .... trying to set up online transfer from another bank,
    Why can't you do an online transfer, or standing order, from another bank?

they sent me a direct debit form,
    does your form look like this? http://www.santander.co.uk/csgs/StaticBS?blobcol=urldata&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1223418328231&cachecontrol=immediate&ssbinary=true&maxage=3600

This particular form has been used by many people on here without problems.

they keep telling me to use my surcode, I keep asking what is a surcode and they dont answer.
    in what context have you been told to use a surcode?
  • zaax
    zaax Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Santander is your problem right there. Spain's banks are about to collapse so run away very fast.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=61198399
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    zaax wrote: »
    Santander is your problem right there. Spain's banks are about to collapse so run away very fast.

What a lot of utter tosh
  • matttye
    zaax wrote: »

Yawn.

I've yet to see anybody lose money in a UK bank, just a lot of hysteria over nothing so far.

My savings (in my signature) are significantly lower than the £85k guaranteed by the FSCS.
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family