WHO ARE Shop Direct Finance Company Ltd !!!!

Comments

• I have received correspondance on Littlewoods letter headed paper today thanking me for choosing to protect my account with Shopping Insurance (offered by Shop Direct Finance Company Ltd). I do not have, and have never had, an account with Littlewoods although an account number is quoted on the letter. There is an 0844 telephone number to call with any queries which I am loath to use as I do not trust it. I will call Littlewoods direct and query the letter. Anyone else experienced this or similar? Looks like a scam to me which I think should be reported.
  • Taf56
    Taf56 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 14 December 2012 at 3:16PM
    I have recieved a letter from a company called "Very" this morning. It also identifies itself as coming from "Shop Direct Finance Company Limited".

It thanks me for my application, but then says that automatic credit scoring has denied my request for credit.

I do not know either of these companies, have not applied for credit from anyone in over 25 years, have not bought anything from a catalogue ever, but I am now worried that their "automatic credit check" might affect any future credit score I may one day need.

What to do?
  • dali21
    dali21 Posts: 175
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I received the same letter today from K&Co part of (Great Universal) that I have been denied credit. I checked my credit report on Noddle.co.uk but there is no record of any searches by this or any similar sounding company.
    I think this is some kind of scam. I am reluctant to contact them as I think they will want a huge amount of personal information from me.
  • rjg202
    rjg202 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 26 December 2012 at 9:51AM
    I received exactly the same letter as Taf56, but at an old address that I haven't had correspondence with for a few years. No previous involvement with these companies before either.

The letter just doesn't seem genuine to me, so I'm going to ignore it. Also the FAQ on the back looks as if it's been photocopied, and in landscape instead of portrait.
  • I received a letter today asking me to contact a free phone no. as it would appear someone was using my name trying to open an account to obtain credit.
    The letter was headed Very listing their website address and the reply address of Shop Direct Finance.
    Having looked at previous letters to you it would appear that this could be a very nice ploy to obtain a persons details to pass on for commercial gain. As I have not asked for credit from this firm I am ignoring the letter but why if a company has doubt about the authenticity of the applicant does it not make more in depth enquiries. For instance send a copy of the application to the address of the applicant by registered post and if not verified in say 7 days it is not accepted.
  • Similar letter today from Shop Direct Finance but headed "isme". I have apparently used the collect plus delivery option to receive my goods i.e. pick up from a local store instead of taking delivery to my home address. This letter is from the Investigations Manager so I guess they are used to people trying to get credit and goods by impersonating others. Checked my bank/credit card accoiunts and all ok but expect there will be a bill through the post soon.
  • wary
    wary Posts: 786
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    jim992 wrote: »
    Similar letter today from Shop Direct Finance but headed "isme". I have apparently used the collect plus delivery option to receive my goods i.e. pick up from a local store instead of taking delivery to my home address. This letter is from the Investigations Manager so I guess they are used to people trying to get credit and goods by impersonating others. Checked my bank/credit card accoiunts and all ok but expect there will be a bill through the post soon.

Is anyone able to shed any further light on this?

Just received a similar letter myself but am not sure whether the fraud/scam is that someone has set up an account and placed an order in my name, or whether this is a fake phishing letter

It is also purportedly from Shop Direct Finance, bearing the VERY logo and signed Linda Swift (Investigations Manager). It states that I've made an order to be delivered to a Collect+ store, and hence the letter is a security check.

The number (0844 822 2311) does not come up on any searches, either as genuine or as a scam. I have noticed that it differs by one digit to the number on the VERY website though.

I don't think it is a coincidence that my wife recently set up a VERY account and made an order (which she later returned, possibly via Connect+). (Her account number is different to the one quoted in the letter.)

I've e-mailed VERY rather than one an 0844 number. Will update this thread when I get a reply.
  • wary
    wary Posts: 786
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    An update on this ... the letter is genuine and someone has fraudulently opened an account in my name.

Account has been closed but it is a concern what else they may set up in my name and whether my credit score could be impacted. Hence I decided to request a £2 credit report from Equifax, only to find that they're also a bunch of shysters, out to screw you of your money ... but that's another story.
  • I to had a small bill from "Very" (£4:95) last year. Someone had opened an account in my name, also it stated the notebook would be charged next month,
    Notepad was delivered to next door saying I was out, but someone different later went to next door saying, I didn't want it left with them, picked it up & legged it.
    First I heard of this was when I returned later !!
    So the courier driver must have been in on this as well?
  • i received a letter today from "Very" asking me to contact them with reference to my "Very account". when i told them i had no such account i was given a number to call which was the Shop Direct Finance Company Ltd fraud dept. They told me i was in the process of identity fraud and that someone had applied for an account in my name. They said they would deal with it and also notify CIFAS the fraud protection dept. At that point they asked me for my date of birth. I was spooked already so refused at which point they told me i could notify CIFAS myself which i did for £20. They took all my info, and now an alert will go up if anyone tries to set up a credit account in my name, even me i assume. this runs for 1 year and i can extend it for a 2nd if i am still at risk, after that CIFAS believe no further risk is likely so it automatically ends.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure