how to clean block paving

We have had block paving done on our drive now for a couple of years and its starting to look abit groggy with moss,dirt etc.Now what is the best way to clean it?Some people have told me jet washing it brings it up well and others have said whatever you do dont jet wash it because it removes the sand!Any tips people?

Comments

• ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Power washing is what I use.

If you want to kill off any growth (Moss or Weeds) before you start you could spray some bleach or weedkiller on it a few days earlier and you will find it cleans up quicker.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • You could try this, not sure if it works on block paving but paths come up a treat.

make up a solution of water and bleach, and spray over the area. Then leave it. When the rain comes it will clean up the area and wash away the solution.

I have seen this used on rendered walls, and the walls look as good as the day they were first painted 8 years on. The solution washed onto the pavements and had the desired effects there to.
    I had a plan..........its here somewhere.
  • ariba10 wrote:
    Power washing is what I use.

If you want to kill off any growth (Moss or Weeds) before you start you could spray some bleach or weedkiller on it a few days earlier and you will find it cleans up quicker.

Does this not damage the bricks by removing the sand?
  • We have had block paving done on our drive now for a couple of years and its starting to look abit groggy with moss,dirt etc.Now what is the best way to clean it?Some people have told me jet washing it brings it up well and others have said whatever you do dont jet wash it because it removes the sand!Any tips people?

Hey, Them people are right if you jet wash it will remove the sand but it is not the end of the world.
    Follow this plan and you driveway will look spot on for years.
    1 Remove any large weeds with a small wallpaper scraper.
    2 Jet wash the whole area (yes i said jet wash it!!!) LOL
    3 Now wait untill you get a dry day HA HA! :o (preferably not too long after you jet wash it). Buy a couple of bags of kiln dried sand from your local builders merchant and use a soft brush to sweep it into all the gaps. Leave the excess sand on the top if you can and brush it round a couple of times over the next few days.
    4 This is the expensive bit but it's worth it. Go and buy a top quality block paving sealer from a builders merchant (you get what u pay 4!!!!!) NOT B&Q they will take you eyes out for it!!!! Expect to pay around £35 for 5 litres. Apply this to the drive not only will it keep it weed free it also gives the blocks the "wet look" for a good few years.

Hope i was of help to you.
    Ben
  • Bambam
    Bambam Posts: 359 Forumite
    My H uses one of those weed burner thingies which gets rid of all that moss. :j
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
    :kisses3:
  • Have a look at this site - should have all the info you require!

http://www.pavingexpert.com/archv100.htm
    I'm mad!!!! :rotfl::jand celebrating everyday every year!!!
  • thanks for all the ideas people.bengraves38 that sounds like a really good plan ill have to try it.
  • Hi Guys,

I had this problem - we had some block paving laid about 9 years ago and it was covered in moss and god knows what else... I found the number of the guy that originally laid it as we were considering getting the whole thing re-done. Turns out he also offers a pressure water cleaning service - got him round to clean it up and now it looks like it did when it was first laid 9 years ago! The tool he used was amazing, it's works like a normal pressure washer but it's on a spinning head so it covers a big area (about 30cm).

It only removes the top couple of inches of sand between the joints because the water is directed at an angle rather than straight down between the joints and so wont disturb the placing of the blocks - when ours had dried he re-sanded it and it looked brand new again! Saved us a few thousand pounds!

His service was excellent and I thought you guys might appreciate knowing about it... His name is Robert and he covers the Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire areas (maybe others as well?). The tool he uses can clean ALL hard surfaces in your garden - slabs, block paving, garden furniture, sculptures etc. Give Robert a call at Paving Clean Solutions on 07753 911329 .

Check out www. pavingcleansolutions.co.uk for some examples!

Cheers guys
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Hi Guys,

The tool he used was amazing, it's works like a normal pressure washer but it's on a spinning head so it covers a big area (about 30cm).

You can buy these attachments for most standard pressure washers. I used one to do my drive, it made cleaning it nice and simple.

This sort of thing...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/K%C3%A4rcher-T-Racer-Cleaning-Pressure-Accessory/dp/B0000AITPN/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=diy&qid=1248780703&sr=8-3
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • They are rubbish in comparison though - they might get a thin layer of grime off of very smooth slabs, but wont touch rough surfaces where the dirt has been ingrained...

The one Rob uses is attached to a strong petrol engine pump, which is much stronger than an electric one you can buy from the shops...

It is a really cost effective way of getting your drive to look like new again, and he can do in 2 hours what it will take you a couple of days to do with an electric powered pressure washer and lance.

Check out some of the pictures on the website,
    www. PavingCleanSolutions.co.uk to get an idea of just how good it is.

Cheers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport