Wonga Please help???

Comments

• Peelerfart
    Peelerfart Posts: 2,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    !!!!!! Turpin wore a mask,Wonga put it in their T's and C's what they are going to do.
    Net difference = nil.

Being "the best of a bad bunch" as has been said, does not make them good.
    Space available for rent
  • CHR15
    CHR15 Posts: 5,193 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    !!!!!! Turpin made you do something against your will.
  • Peelerfart
    Fair point CHR15, any other differences ?
    Space available for rent
  • crispy_chris
    crispy_chris Posts: 507 Forumite
    Peelerfart wrote: »
    Fair point CHR15, any other differences ?

Does there need to be? Thats such a key difference it's the only one that matters surely.

Same difference between rape and sex and I sure hope you aren't trying to argue they're the same.
  • pink_princess
    pink_princess Posts: 13,581 Forumite
    Peelerfart wrote: »
    !!!!!! Turpin wore a mask,Wonga put it in their T's and C's what they are going to do.
    Net difference = nil.

Being "the best of a bad bunch" as has been said, does not make them good.
    One is legal the other is not,still doesn t make them good.
    Life is short, smile while you still have teeth :D
  • Peelerfart
    One is legal the other is not,still doesn t make them good.

Dead right Princess ! one is legal, one is not but both are robbery, and people are queuing up for it.
    Space available for rent
  • dazza12 wrote: »
    Their landline telephone number is 0871 288 5704. Yes it does cost 10p a minute, this is hardly a scam when 1000s of companies get away with using 0871 numbers. My bank and ISP insist on using 0871 and 0844 numbers and often have me holding for a long time.

I've used the company in the past, and probably will again. I'm not up to my eyeballs in debt (in fact owe about a tenth of what I did 5 years ago), but occasionally I've needed to use them when a car repair has occurred the wrong side of payday. I've been fully aware of their terms, and also know how misleading APR can be when applied to short term loans. For instance, they don't want to lend to you for a year, so why would a yearly calculation be appropriate? A separate calculation is needed for these types of loans (and also for overdrafts, bank charges etc) so a proper comparison can be made.

My own situation is that I needed £250 for 14 days. Paid it off on payday and that was that. A few months later came home to find water all over the floor. I couldn't afford to buy a washing machine so checked out Wonga again - this time borrowed £400 initially for 14 days again but paid this off within 5 days - if I remember correctly paid only £25 in charges. That's less that what my bank would have charged me if I'd gone over my limit.

It's not intended to be used by those people robbing Peter to pay Paul, or who are at the point of desperation. As they credit check, it's likely such people will be filtered out at application stage.

They do allow you to settle at any point during the loan. Most of their competitors insist on the loan being fixed so at least you can reduce any interest charges if you've got funds before the collection date.

It could be argued that I could use my credit card to do exactly the same thing. Although I've got a credit card, I use this for petrol and other work expenses, and get this repaid by my employer at the end of the month. My limit on this is low, this was requested by me - the last time I had a huge limit on my credit card was when I got into trouble (every purchase was justified as an 'emergency'). I'm not going there again so requested a low limit.

I know that this sounds like I'm a Wonga employee, but I'm not. I agree that some people should avoid such companies like the plague, their problems will not be solved by this company but will compound them. However, for people like me it's worked.

Excellent post Dazza.....Nail on head mate.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 August 2010 at 11:06AM
    Some consider WONGA to be a bunch of wicked, blood-sucking, shysters ... they could of course be wrong...

They ADVERTISE as charging 2,689% APR...

Personally I wouldnae trust them further than I could throw them, and I have a bad back...

Their founder, CEO & generally rich brother is

http://www.erroldamelin.com/

They claim to be into "Responsible Lending": Aye, right...
    http://www.wonga.com/money/wonga-responsible-lending/

Some might consider it responsible only insomuch as their lending generates huge profits for the shareholders: Others might think differently...
    Cheers!

Lodger
  • CHR15
    CHR15 Posts: 5,193 Forumite
    If they advertised a rate of 6% but went on the charge 2,689%, that would be wrong.

The advertise 2,689% and charge 2,689% --- There is nothing wrong with that.

If I could make a widget for £3 but people were queueing up to pay me £3,000 for one. I would charge £3,000 for it.

I wouldn't market the widget for £3.50 - I would be crazy to do so. I could make huge profits by selling it at the maximum people are happy to pay. We all win.

You can only sell something for a cost people are prepared to pay for it (or you don't sell any).

Wonga are up front about what they charge, outrageous as it is, there is a queue around the block of people wanting the product.

Are Wonga at fault, or all the people stood in the queue??
  • KingElvis
    KingElvis Posts: 4,100 Forumite
    ^^ a good point but not a queue I would care to be in.

These people obvioulsy run a legal business and like anything else, when used properly it could be of benefit to some.

The problem I have with them is this, their likely target audience is already poorly off so by lending them more money at (frankly) silly interest rates, it's just going to compound their problems. Once their clients are caught in that debt spiral there is little hope of escape.

So, to sum up, I wouldn't trust this lot as far as I could spit a rat.
    "We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here, and we want them now!"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure