Cheap Parcel Delivery - official discussion

Former_MSE_Rose
Former_MSE_Rose Posts: 128 Forumite
articlealert2_banner.gif

Hi all,

This is the new discussion for the Cheap Parcel Delivery article, so please post your feedback on your parcel delivery experiences.

The previous five discussions have now been closed, but can be found here for reference: Thread 1, Thread 2, Thread 3, Thread 4, Thread 5.

Note:

This thread is meant for posting genuine feedback on experiences with budget courier re-sellers, not for promoting or slandering companies or other forumers involved. Posts which don't abide by the Forum Rules will be deleted. Please don't do business with websites which lack fundamental adherence to regulations, especially those that don't have a privacy policy; there's no comeback.

Thanks,

MSE Rose

Comments

• vet8
    vet8 Posts: 877 Forumite
    I will start this thread by saying Avoid Hermes.

I have literally been waiting 6 weeks now for parcels from 2 different companies. Hermes will not deliver if you live in an unadopted road, they have confirmed that to me. They are supposed to then transfer the parcel to UPS who come in a van, but even though the companies have now sent 5 different parcels between them none have arrived. Apparently the parcels are too small to go to UPS so Hermes will not deliver then and will not pass them on so I do not get them.

Ebay sellers, be warned you are liable for a lot of negative feedback if you use this firm. From what I understand they are good if things go smoothly, but if there are any problems they are USELESS.
  • richto
    richto Posts: 821
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    What is the cheapest current non guranteed next courier service for circa 10KG please?
  • richto wrote: »
    What is the cheapest current non guranteed next courier service for circa 10KG please?
    Depends on dimensions
  • techspec
    techspec Posts: 4,464 Forumite
    Yodel, Collect Plus (Also Yodel) and MyHermes have been all over the place last few weeks, and probably will be until after christmas.

Might be worth paying the extra to Royal Mail in some cases.
  • dsided
    dsided Posts: 11 Forumite
    I'm surprised there was no mention of parcel aggregators such as parcel2go (parcel2go dot com) or parcelmonkey (parcelmonkey dot co dot uk

These can cut a few pence off the list price, and for heavier or unusual items can offer the best price from larger companies such as FedEd, UPS etc.

Also worth noting for sending bulky items (such as a pram) parcel force is the cheapest at £12.50.
  • I've used collect+drop twice in recent weeks to send eBay items. Both times the parcels have arrived quickly and I have received good feedback. I particularly like the convenience of paying for the postage via PayPal, printing off the postage label and dropping it off at a local shop.

I've also used 'parcel to go' twice. Again the parcels arrived quickly but I didn't like the fact that the parcels are collected from my home sometime between 9am and 5pm so I have to plan to be at home all day.
  • Hi,

I've noticed that Parcelforce come up cheap on these websites. Has anyone used Parcelforce this way? I need to send a large (but light) parcel to Australia and it's about half the original price using Parcel Monkey.

Thanks
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,555
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hi,

I've noticed that Parcelforce come up cheap on these websites. Has anyone used Parcelforce this way? I need to send a large (but light) parcel to Australia and it's about half the original price using Parcel Monkey.

Thanks
    #######
    Please clarify - you seem to be praising parcelforce, so do you mean THEY are half the cost of Parcel Monkey, or vice versa?

Thankyou. I have a family box to send to NZ.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• I use Collect Plus (Yodel) anywhere up to ten times a week and have been doing so for around eight months. I have never had a single problem, 90% of my parcels arrive within two days when the service is a 3-5 day one. When things have gone wrong (even on my part), they have resolved everything I've thrown at them within a few hours. Their customer service staff are brilliant and they're open later than most. I also find it very convenient to not have to stay in all day for a collection but instead drop off at my local shop that is open until 9pm. Their prices are the best I've found but the maximum size requirements are restrictive. Don't book through parcel2go but direct at collectplus.co.uk as if you book direct you get £50 compensation cover automatically instead of £20.
  • ampersand wrote: »
    #######
    Please clarify - you seem to be praising parcelforce, so do you mean THEY are half the cost of Parcel Monkey, or vice versa?

Thankyou. I have a family box to send to NZ.

I think they mean book parcel force via parcel monkey who are an intermediary and it is cheaper than booking with parcel force direct.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback