Basic Bank account needed without credit checks

I need to get a new basic bank account pretty quick as i'm starting a DMP with Payplan and my current Bank(Halifax) are owed over £7,000.

I tried Co-op but aborted the application when they mentioned credit checks.

Does anyone know of a basic account without credit checks as I definately wouldnt pass?

There was a table somewhere on this site but I cant find it.

Thanks

Comments

• EEK!!!
    EEK!!! Posts: 19 Forumite
    I personal have an easycash halifax account but obviously that's a no no. I've heard that the Natwest Step account is pretty good and you can apply online.
    Hope this helps and good luck.
  • i got a basic account with abby easy and didnt matter bout credit check as went basic
    i have an intermittant connection so sorry if i dont reply straight away
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 303
    *Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!*

*Learning to be a house proud flybaby*

weff level 59ish

:smiley:you can't get a YES if you don't ask :smiley:

:dance: :T :rotfl: :j :A :j :rotfl: :T :dance:
  • bev79
    bev79 Posts: 98 Forumite
    Hi
    To be honest I think they all do some sort of credit check now, but they're not allowed to refuse basic banking facilities. They do an ID check which shows on your credit report as well. My credit is diabolical but I have the most basic account with barclays (you can't even set up standing orders from them!). All you need is photo id (eg passport) and proof of address (eg utility bill).
    Good luck!!
  • Hi

It will depend who your debts are with but the Woolwich do an instant cash account that unless you have bankruptcy orders or a record of fraud will let you have an account that you can set up D/D and S/O and give you a debit card but no cheque book.
  • moxie_2
    moxie_2 Posts: 609 Forumite
    Co-op Cashminder basic account gives you d/ds and s/os plus visa electron and internet banking. Nationwide the same.
    Total debt May 2005 £83,232 :eek:
    Total Debt November 2009 £0! DEBT FREE!
    Proud to have dealt with my debts
    Official DFW Nerd Club member no. 028
  • moonlightpjs
    moonlightpjs Posts: 1,583 Forumite
    Try Citibank - there is a thread on it on the Budgeting/bank accounts forum - a lot of people, including myself (I have an absolutly terrible credit history) have successfully opened a bank account with them with a Visa Debit card.

You also earn £50 if you go through Quidco.

I don't know to post the link to the Budgeting thread but its right there near top of page, entitled: Recent Citibank Applicatant?

HTH, Good Luck!
  • moonlightpjs
    moonlightpjs Posts: 1,583 Forumite
    Think I may have this right, try this link:-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.html?f=20
  • mikeb222
    mikeb222 Posts: 135
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    thanks guys
  • Alliance & Leicester do a basic account, you can set up direct debits etc and you get an VisaElectron card. My daughters business went belly up and she had loads of debt but she got the above account. After 12 months of keeping in credit they automatically upgraded her to a visa debit card account.
  • achtunglady
    achtunglady Posts: 1,459 Forumite
    Hi, heres a list of bank accounts and what they offer. My husband and I opened a basic joint account with Barclays with no problems.

http://www.payplan.com/pdf/bank_acc.pdf
    And yes the lady in the avatar is me

Slimming World started 12/5/11 : Starting weight 12st 3lb
    Hoping to get to 9 stone by September 2011

Wk1 -1lb Wk2 -2lb Wk3 +0.5lb Wk4 STS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts