The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

To Freedom...

Comments

• thank you, had work christmas night out last night, was pretty bad..although our table won 2 magnums of bubbly for dancing, so only needed a tenner in the kitty for drink after that. Food was terrible - all these christmas party nights are the same, aren't they?

went shopping yesterday morning and picked up some bargains. got a sweater reduced from £140 to £20, and some CK boxer shorts that should have been 18 quid reduced to 12.50, had a £10 voucher so only 2.50. nice stocking filler for son. Then met up with a couple of freinds who were in town for the weekend and treated them to coffee, I might be penny pinching, but am worried about having no pals left during this period of being a miser.

DS, who has a language disorder, just came to tell us our neighbour has parked a yacht in our shared drive..it is actually a canoe:p Thats a relief.
    mortgage 1 33,000. paid nov 2012 :D. mortgage 2 87,000 due 51,686.76 at july 2013, but then:new home and remortgage ... £101065.43:eek: now 74k
  • Hello,

Good luck to you. Like you, we have adult children and it often seems the wrong way round when they are more extravagant than we are! But we can see the light at the end of the tunnel now and are racing towards it.

All the best,

Squirrel
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • Thanks squirrel, your figures are impressive! This is definately more of a sprint than a marathron now, for various reasons.

I have £45 left over from last weeks budget, and bagged up £20 in 50p, so off to the bank this morning to pay that into my slush fund. All spare bits of cash end up here to be overpaid at the end of the month.

Also i bought a bit of equipment for my work and my manager has said she will refund me, although it is not an essential bit of kit. I wasn't going to ask, but got cheeky and another £21 coming my way.
    mortgage 1 33,000. paid nov 2012 :D. mortgage 2 87,000 due 51,686.76 at july 2013, but then:new home and remortgage ... £101065.43:eek: now 74k
  • some miserly things i did today to save money

took DH car to work as his business pays for petrol and he didnt need it today.
    charged my ipad at work- one of my bosses saw it and said he would send me a bill! told him I was thinking of getting my washing machine plumbed in the corner of my room to use even more of his electric...
    2 NSD in a row
    made a £6 OP to tidy up my current account.
    made a cheap chilli in slow cooker, added in loads of beans and green lentils, so there is enough for tomorrow night tea and a couple of portions to freeze for another night.
    Off to make some gingerbread from the store cupboard to keep bosses happy and stop them moaning about using their electric to charge phones, satnav, ipads, etc.
  • got a cheque from webuybooks for £15.75 today for some biographies that i wasnt going to read again, so will OP that tomorrow. And had another NSD, should manage another one tomorrow. Also picked up 5 hours work next sunday morning (at sunday rates) so that should be in the bank at end of jan.
  • managed to bag up some £2 coins for the bank this morning, and OH just handed a cheque he got for some work he carried out extra last month, another £381.50, so hope to OP most of that. A few weeks ago he would have kept most of it, now he wants it all paid to mortgage to see balance come down

I have managed to keep a tenner in my purse all week, not spent anything. Tomorrow night, however, I have a night out with some old pals for a meal and drink. Booked an apartment in town ( very cheap, only 64 quid for the night and breakfast thrown in too). Looking forward to that, then a bit of shopping on saturday morning, maybe treat hubby to lunch (if I can find a deal:rotfl:)
  • night out on friday night was quite expensive, lots spent on drink:o oh well, was a great night. Bought the last christmas present, and managed to resist the Hotel Choclat shop:A

Was supposed to be working this morning, but was called in last night instead for a night shift, cos of staff shortages. It was awful, really busy and did not get a break all night. Finished at 5.30am and had a bit of sleep. Still, it will be another bit to overpay in jan.

Got 2 lots of rent from the kids, they give me £50 a week to cover their share of food and bills. I still feel bad taking cash from them, as they are both on small wages, but it does help and stops us feeling resentful when they eat everything in the fridge! I might keep some of as mad money rather than op, would be nice to have an extra 100 quid in the shopping budget this week. And off to an art exhibition of a freind this afternoon so might treat ourselves if we see something nice.

OH got his tax bill in, double what he thought:eek: He keeps threatening to fold the business as not making much money.
  • more overtime today and tomorrow, although i will take some of it back as time back and be off christmas eve. Well, it is not all about money...Did get £21.39 today for expenses so overpaid that.

had a cheap tea tonight, sweetcorn soup and a loaf for 10p. We did talk about going out to eat, but changed our mind as too tired.

Watching a programme about Claridges, when I pay this morgage i am going to book in there for a night. Maybe for my 50th birthday?
  • got another hour overtime at work, then met DD at asd@ where works to buy some booze for xmas. Took all my small change and with her discount got about 20 quid off the total of 70, so am happy with that.

Last night met my pub quiz team and had a free meal thanks to winning a few weeks ago, the prize is always a food voucher in the pub. We won again, so another meal in january.

We are feeding about 30 on Sunday, but not going to go mad, just making a chilli, rice and some tortillas, maybe a batch of sausage rolls for those who dont like chilli. got a vegatarian to cater for, so will have to think of something for her:o. Will need to go to supermarket soon, havent been for about a month! Usually at this time of year my fridge is groaning with goodies, but we are holding out as long as we can and buying the minimum, better for our waistlines too:rotfl:
  • lulabelle1
    lulabelle1 Posts: 2,691
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Pub quiz team sounds great, especially if you keep winning!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure