Matalan loyalty card ?

2»

Comments

• I've had my card for many years and never had any correspondence from them. As others have said I thought you had to have the card to beable to shop there?
  • SandC
    SandC Posts: 3,929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    When the store first opened it was run a bit like a cash and carry. Everyone had to be a member, hence being issued with a card. To get a membership, it was extended to more than your usual cash and carry card to all employees of businesses who had joined up. You also used to have to add on VAT at the till.

Eventually they included the VAT and seems like you now not only need to go through your employer to join but you don't have to join at all.
  • mshear
    mshear Posts: 1 Newbie
    Hi, I work at Matalan and can hopefully offer some insight here.

The card is essentially useless. There are certain offers that are only available with it, and there are seasonal vouchers and prize draws, but you don't get any points and there's usually not any money off. (One important exception: if you are a student using the NUS extra card, we can't give you student discount unless you have the card). And yes, it acts as a second proof of purchase, but I don't think that's a huge selling point.

I don't see much of a benefit to the company in doling out cards, but they have just introduced a new policy that has really !!!!ed off most of us shop assistants. Basically, we can only have a 10% card bypass rate. So if I serve 10 people, I can only bypass, or serve without a Matalan card, once. If I bypass any more than that, I get hauled into the office and warned and my manager bangs on and on about what a terrible thing this is. If I get warned enough times, I get the sack.

Loads of people have genuine reasons for not having the card. Maybe they're travelling from abroad and won't ever shop at Matalan again. Or maybe they just want to buy their stuff and get out. I fully empathise with that. But I'm a student just about to graduate and get my first real job, and I need a decent recommendation from my manager (i. e. no warnings or disciplinaries). So I become the !!!!!y sales assistant who pushes a pointless loyalty card onto people. I hate it. A lot of my colleagues are in the same boat. I'm just happy I won't have to do it for much longer.

So if you are asked by a miserable-looking assistant if you've got a card, we're not trying to be horrible, we're just trying to survive. Please consider signing up. It takes a minute and you might be helping some poor sod to not get the sack.
  • Scarlet_Fever
    Scarlet_Fever Posts: 447 Forumite
    mshear wrote: »

I don't see much of a benefit to the company in doling out cards, but they have just introduced a new policy that has really !!!!ed off most of us shop assistants. Basically, we can only have a 10% card bypass rate. So if I serve 10 people, I can only bypass, or serve without a Matalan card, once. If I bypass any more than that, I get hauled into the office and warned and my manager bangs on and on about what a terrible thing this is. If I get warned enough times, I get the sack.

Loads of people have genuine reasons for not having the card. Maybe they're travelling from abroad and won't ever shop at Matalan again. Or maybe they just want to buy their stuff and get out. I fully empathise with that. But I'm a student just about to graduate and get my first real job, and I need a decent recommendation from my manager (i. e. no warnings or disciplinaries). So I become the !!!!!y sales assistant who pushes a pointless loyalty card onto people. I hate it. A lot of my colleagues are in the same boat. I'm just happy I won't have to do it for much longer.

So if you are asked by a miserable-looking assistant if you've got a card, we're not trying to be horrible, we're just trying to survive. Please consider signing up. It takes a minute and you might be helping some poor sod to not get the sack.

nicely done post - its disgusting that you are being treated like this in this day and age - i remember when you werent allowed to buy anything if you didnt have a card at Matalan, i used to re-sign up every time (not that i ever bought much) but when i did - new card everytime that went in the bin

we have toooooo many loyalty cards

Willow: I knew it, I knew it, well not in the sense of having the slightest idea, but I knew there was something I didn't know!
  • pimento wrote: »
    I quite like getting my Matalan mailouts and my birthday gift voucher. [/sad]

birthday gift voucher? do they still do these?
  • BlueAngelCV
    BlueAngelCV Posts: 671 Forumite
    When I worked at Matalan you had to have a card to shop there. If you'd forgotten it they could find your details by taking your postcode but you had to have one. It only cost £1 to join and there would be people on the door asking whether you had one on the way in.
    Wedding 5th September 2015
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport