How much is the road tax on a Ford Ranger pick up?

Takoda
Takoda Posts: 1,846 Forumite
I've decided I need a pick up truck for varied reasons mainly leisure related rather than work (although being able to get there in the snow is a plus too) but I'm confused about the road tax cost. I've Googled it but some info is out of date.

Looking on the DVLA website the Co2 emissions should put it into the highest band currently £400 per year but other websites say it is a commercial vehicle and as such attracts a lower rate.

I'm just confused now - can anyone help please? Any Ranger owners out there? If it helps I'm probably looking at the single cab version.

Thanks,

Takoda

Comments

• Cat695
    Cat695 Posts: 3,647 Forumite
    Its 400 quid a year
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have failed to plan properly

I've only ever been wrong once! and that was when I thought I was wrong but I was right
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    it isnt on the vca car fuel data list for some reason, this reason may be because its classed as a commercial vehicle. so it might be priced at light goods vehcile,especially seen as its only the single cab you want.
    ...work permit granted!
  • Its classed as a commercial vehicle which makes the road tax £185 possibly £190 a year, can't remember exactly how much my Hilux was but its about that.

Before you buy, bear in mind that as a commercial (single cab) you will be limited to 50mph on 2 way roads and 60mph on dual carriageways (unless lower restrictions apply to the particular road).

Should you get a twin cabbed 4WD that will be classed as a 'dual purpose vehicle' and will be subject to the same speed limits as cars (60mph single and 70 mph dual), strange i know but even stranger if the twin cab isn't 4WD its not dual purpose either....go figure that one out.

One other thing worth investigating, if you check on the DVLA website, you may find that early Euro4 vehicles had a special VED rate of approx £110, i believe this finished in 06 and the special grouping may be axed when !!!!!! Turpin and his merry band of con men realise they need every penny for their expenses, but may well be worth checking.

Good motor by the way.
  • Takoda
    Takoda Posts: 1,846 Forumite
    Cheers goldspanners and especially gilbert and sullivan for the extra info you added for me. There's apparently a new model out at Geneva motorshow but I'm hoping to get a good deal on the current/old model.

Thanks again,

Takoda
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    Takoda wrote: »
    Cheers goldspanners and especially gilbert and sullivan for the extra info you added for me. There's apparently a new model out at Geneva motorshow but I'm hoping to get a good deal on the current/old model.

Thanks again,

Takoda

i noticed a brand new ford ranger at a commercial ford dealer the other day, it was the double cab and finished in that rusty orange colour with all the trimmings for £11,500. im guessing this will be plus vat though.
    ...work permit granted!
  • I am looking to buy a ranger but am also struggling to get much information on them. If some one has one can you please let me know if they are expensive on tax, insurance and fuel please as i dont want to end up struggling to pay for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure