PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

washing a duvet

Options

Comments

• gatita
    gatita Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have the horrible suspicion I have made a BIG mistake by washing my feather duvet:eek: It is in the bath having a long soak lol......... will it be ready to just throw away......(hope not!) or can I salvage it? How I wish I had asked on here first:rolleyes:
    When man sacrifices the Love of POWER for the Power of Love, there will be peace on earth.
  • Widget
    Widget Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation, mines too big to put in the washer, so I've no idea what to do with it, I will hold off putting it in the tub though!
  • Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some feather duvets can be washed - just look at the Care Label. Some feather duvets can also be tumble dried, albeit on a low setting; again look at the Care Label. Always follow the manufacturers recommendations.

When tumble drying, put in a couple of tennis balls to 'fluff up' the filling.
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'd take it to the laundrette. As it's already soaking, I'd squeeze as much water as I could from it and get down there early before the rush.
    You might want to put just a small amount of powder in the machine if you think the duvet's already a bit musty but not too much if you've put some in the bath.
    I think you have to dry items with feathers quickly so you probably need to make sure that it's completely dry before you bring it home as we can't guarantee that with our weather you'd be able to air it on the line! :)
  • gatita
    gatita Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just thought I would let you all know that the duvet survived thank goodness lol
    I let it drip in the garden to get as much water out as possible, then stuffed it in the tumble dryer!.............and finally onto the radiator, it is all nice and fluffy once more! the same with the feather pillows, they also came out fine.
    When man sacrifices the Love of POWER for the Power of Love, there will be peace on earth.
  • purplegirluk1
    Options
    I have just changed the beds and decided that the duvets need cleaning. We have a 4.5tog king size duvet on our bed and usually use a blanket on top in winter. I don't really want to buy a new one as this one is just a bit dirty. Our washig machine is meant to take a duvet so I think I will be able to wash it ok but I am not sure about drying it.

My mum thinks that if I put it in the TD it will break the machine and the label says that it should not be hung out to dry. What should I do? It wouldn't be very OS to juts go out and buy a new one and it would probably cosy just as much to take it to the cleaners. Anyone got any bright ideas?
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Most people use the big machines in the local laundrette. There are some threads in the Cleaning section of the MEGA Index sticky listed under bedding that should give you lots of help.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think you will find that a king size duvet will be too big for your machine :( Evenif you manage to crush it in, then there probably won't be enough room for the duvet to tumble around and get clean. Depending on how expensive your duvet is, I would either take it to the launderette or buy a new one. You could always buy a thicker one for winter and keep this one for summer :)
  • mandirinmonroe
    Options
    Hi, I usually wash my king size duvet in the bath and hang it on the line to dry and it is fine. But you have to make sure u get all the washing powder out of it. but it always smells nice and fresh.
    Goooooo with the Flowwwwww
  • mountainofdebt
    Options
    Not very money saving I know but I got mine cleaned by a local firm who collected it, washed and cleaned it and delivered it when convenient to me.

It came up lovely and fresh and cheaper than buying a new one.
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts