PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

neighbours fallen tree in my garden

Hi

A large part of my neighbours tree has fallen in my garden. Their garden is totally unaffected.
It`s massive, and is going to take a lot of work, and perhaps cost to clear if I can`t manage it.
What responsibility do they have?
(In other respects they have proved unwilling to share costs of pruning a large hedge on our shared boundary, so I`m not hopeful of a contribution)
Will I end up having to pay, and can I return all the wood to them? In respect of returning wood I have seen conflicting advice about that, with some people saying I have no right to `give it back`

Comments

• My recollectiion is in theory 'you have to give it back' - but if you would rather not, can I have the wood ?
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • yes you can have the wood!

it`s ash and very substantial!
  • Senior_Paper_Monitor
    Senior_Paper_Monitor Posts: 2,918
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 13 August 2012 at 11:03AM
    It was supposed to be humour (but if you are in the Oxford/Reading area I'll happily take you up on the offer).

My recollection (from some research on border disputes a couple of years ago) is that:

1) If it did damage then the tree owner is responsible for the costs

2) in theory you are liable to return it (certainly the case if you cut it off)

3) I don't think they are liable for the cost of removal

As I have an open fire in living room (which I feed at great cost over the winter) I'd be delighted with a large lump of ash appearing in my garden, but appreciate that not everyone would be as keen !
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Misstress
    Misstress Posts: 694 Forumite
    Put it on your local Freecycle group stating that they will need to cut it in manageable pieces to remove it.
  • martinsurrey
    martinsurrey Posts: 3,368 Forumite
    unless you can prove that they were negligent in the maintainence of the tree, its your cost to repair the damage.

proving negligence will cost more than you'll get back, so if he wont come to a reasonable gentalmans agreement, your not going to get anything out of him.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,551
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    In respect of returning wood I have seen conflicting advice about that, with some people saying I have no right to `give it back`

You have to "offer it back" and if they refuse, you have to dispose of it.

Ask them if they want, the chances are they will say no because of the work involved - record this or have a witness with you - and then offer it on Freegle/Freecycle.

You don't want them coming round after it's been cut into manageable bits saying that it's theirs!
  • It was supposed to be humour (but if you are in the Oxford/Reading area I'll happily take you up on the offer).

Yes, so was my response!

But i`ll bear your offer in mind, as I do live in that area!
  • Judith_W
    Judith_W Posts: 754 Forumite
    Another vote for offering on Freecyle saying have to be prepared to cut to remove. I'm sure as its Ash it will be popular.
  • could you recycle the tree?
  • pleasedelete
    pleasedelete Posts: 2,286
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 13 August 2012 at 12:47PM
    My 120 foot high tree fell on many neighbours gardens earlier this year. Demolished sheds and fences.

Our insurance paid for the tree removal and disposal. Our insurance paid for our shed and contents.

The fences were not covered by any insurance and we had to pay.

Our neighbours garages and sheds were not covered by our insurance. They had to claim on theirs (which may have counter claimed against ours but not sure and we were told by our insurance it was none of our business).

We paid their excesses as we felt guilty.

Tree was listed and we had been told it couldn't be removed so all in all not too gutted.
    June challenge £100 a day £3161.63 plus £350 vouchers plus £108.37 food/shopping saving

July challenge £50 a day. £ 1682.50/1550

October challenge £100 a day. £385/£3100
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family