My Nightmare ESA - Does the left know what the right is doing

Comments

• Cpt.Scarlet
    Cpt.Scarlet Posts: 1,102
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    ~Chameleon~

I don't believe the OP was receiving IS due to Incapacity, but rather as a Lone Parent, as a result they would not be transferred from IS to ESA. In fact this is a new claim for ESA, which is why there is a 13 week assessment period.

The issue with the Fit Notes is because a GP cannot issue a Fit Note with a period longer than 3 months during the first 6 months of an illness.
  • Anubis_2
    Anubis_2 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    ~Chameleon~

I don't believe the OP was receiving IS due to Incapacity, but rather as a Lone Parent, as a result they would not be transferred from IS to ESA. In fact this is a new claim for ESA, which is why there is a 13 week assessment period.

The issue with the Fit Notes is because a GP cannot issue a Fit Note with a period longer than 3 months during the first 6 months of an illness.

But she's been ill for longer as she had disability premiums on IS. Or do you mean they can only provide 3 month fit notes if none have been written previously for an illness?

My doctor gives me 1 year fit notes which I have to give in each year for SDA.
    How people treat you becomes their karma; how you react becomes yours.
  • Cpt.Scarlet
    Cpt.Scarlet Posts: 1,102
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Long term Fit Notes can only be issued after the patient has been receiving them for six months or more.
  • Anubis_2
    Anubis_2 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    Long term Fit Notes can only be issued after the patient has been receiving them for six months or more.

Thank you for the clarification.
    How people treat you becomes their karma; how you react becomes yours.
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279
    Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    I don't understand why they are asking this of you. I was recently transferred from IS to ESA and all I had to do was fill out an ESA50 form and based on the information received on this form they transferred me straight to ESA, didn't even need a medical assessment. There was no transition period or assessment period, just a simple straightforward transfer, which is as it should be for those moving over from IS/IB.

It sounds as though your lone parent advisor has made a complete hash of everything for you!! I'd get some independent advice if I were you as you shouldn't be providing sick notes and you should never have had to "make a claim" for ESA.

ETA: Just a thought but on what grounds were you claiming IS? Lone parent or sickness? Presumably you also receive DLA if you get a disability premium? I think the answer to this question may well explain your problems.

Has your youngest child now reached the age where you can no longer claim IS as a lone parent?

My claim for IS went through first then my DLA after, so I was claiming as a lone parent with the Disability top up, my daughter is 9 now, so we hit the 7+ barrier.

Even thou the change over was Sept last yr, I didn't get my EA50 till Nov last yr, that was back with them at start of Dec. x
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    ~Chameleon~

ur a gentleman, no-one would give me a striaght answer as to why they wouldn't take a 6 month note, they initially had a 3 month, then a 6mth, but they said they could only take a 3mth. x
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Anubis wrote: »
    But she's been ill for longer as she had disability premiums on IS. Or do you mean they can only provide 3 month fit notes if none have been written previously for an illness?

My doctor gives me 1 year fit notes which I have to give in each year for SDA.
    I've been disabled for 10 years, but the claim was based as lone parent, thats why i had to got through the ringer, with this ESA.

To be honest when I had my DLA renewed last yr it was put to indefinate, whereas before Id had a mixture of 3 and 2 year assesments. x
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    A quick update, now out of my 13 week assesment period and no news, i asked for a copy of esa and am still waiting!

I'm working on the basis no news is good news.

Sods law back under the hospital noe for a new conditionm awaitng scan, biosopy and tests, - had the letter today to do self check in apointment, and I fo the end of April, good going for the NHS. x
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Good news in this mornings post, they've put me in the \work related group, and there backdating the difference back to 31st dec - get back pay £350.00. So the next step is to ask about cold weather payment, as there was 2 in my area, but had been in group been entitled to them.

I'm so relieved, as I couldn't face tribunal, - when I did the self assesment, I'd scored 75, and u needed 15 for support group, but getting into that is almost impossible, just one relief for now. xx
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,724
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 6 April 2012 at 3:32PM
    mum2one wrote: »
    Good news in this mornings post, they've put me in the \work related group, and there backdating the difference back to 31st dec - get back pay £350.00. So the next step is to ask about cold weather payment, as there was 2 in my area, but had been in group been entitled to them.

I'm so relieved, as I couldn't face tribunal, - when I did the self assesment, I'd scored 75, and u needed 15 for support group, but getting into that is almost impossible, just one relief for now. xx

Great news... well done. Just to clarify... for Support Group there are no points... any one of the Support Group descriptors will qualify you for it... some of them happen to also be 15 point descriptors in the WRAG descriptors and that can sometimes cause confusion. As you were awarded WRAG they found you didn;t meet any S.G descriptors but scored at least 15 points total in the WRAG descriptors... hopefully you can find out which (I think you requested the ATOS medical report which may shed light as quite possibly got 'rubber stamped' at DWP) as it's always easier to go down a path you've already had mapped out.. if you know what I mean..lol
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure