does a freeview box need an outside aerial

2»

Comments

• irisrose
    irisrose Posts: 4,248 Forumite
    I got in laws a freeview box for christmas can get the programmes but they only appear as black and white any ideas
  • Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    irisrose wrote:
    I got in laws a freeview box for christmas can get the programmes but they only appear as black and white any ideas

sounds like a dodgy scart lead.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • morganb
    morganb Posts: 1,762 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    We got our freeview box working using the following indoor aerial :

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5343243.htm

It needs a power socket to work and the reception is good

I don't think we are in a particularly strong signal area so it's worth giving it a try and taking it back to Argos within 16 days if you have no joy
    That's Numberwang!
  • Jet
    Jet Posts: 1,624 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I'm in an area where (apparently) we can't get freeview. I've had a freeview box for over a year now. Very occassionally, the signal is a bit weak and the picture will be a bit hit and miss but 99% of the time, it's fine.

I do have a good outside aerial though.
  • i bought one of those USB freeview things for the pc and i am using one of those simple wire aerials shaped ina circle at my window. i tried using the roof aerial and it infact did not find as many channels. so in essence the small piece of wire is betetr than the roof aerial :O

personally i think its just luck of the draw my mum+dad have bought many aerials all with fancy amplifiers and what not and none seem to work that well
  • irisrose
    irisrose Posts: 4,248 Forumite
    I have tried my in laws freeview box on my TV with same scart lead it works ok here so it must be the ariel at the in laws
  • Little_John
    Little_John Posts: 4,033 Forumite
    We live under winterhill transmitter pretty much and the outdoor aerial was worse than the portable ones, we did buy amplifiers for them and it made the pictures far better.
  • i have freeview and have a perfect picture using an indoor arial from the pound shop.
    reach for the moon because even if you miss you will still be a star!
  • dickibobboy
    dickibobboy Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    me too. i am in a strong area and can get all channels good quality most of the time with a poundland arial.

Lets put this right with sky

If you cancell sky they wont ask for your box back. So there is no need to go out and buy a new satellite box and a card(if you did the card would not work and it is only used for channel 4/5 and sky3)

You will get all the channels listed on https://www.freesatfromsky.com you cannot get all the channels from freeview on freesat which includes E4 there are not many you cant get but there is alot more choice on freesat and you dont have to pay anything for it.

does that help?
    Things that are free in life are great, well most of the time :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family