What can bailiffs legally do?

Options
2»

Comments

• Iona_Penny
    Options
    There's not anything I can add to the information you have been given except to reiterate do communicate with your creditors: I ended up with a CCJ on my file and it did affect my creditworthiness for the whole six years (yes I thought in the last year it 'would count for less' but apparently not so)
    Also they will be reluctant to take goods as it is not often the goods siezed will be worth the debt (jst coz you paid £600 for a TV doesn't mean it will fetch more than £60!) but charges for removal/storage will be charged to you !
  • needaspirin
    Options
    Some of the advice here is inaccurate to say the least and some is very good! Look Here for further information and go immediately to your local CAB. Take all documents with you.

As already said in earlier posts,COUNTY COURT judgments: The order can be suspended at any time after the issue of the warrant of execution. Applications to have an order suspended are made on form N245. A fee must be paid.

BTW they cannot charge for the van if they have never gained entry and levied on goods.
  • car67
    Options
    valiant wrote:
    car67........

I can't believe I've spent over an hour writing this but I was incensed by the stupid advice that some people gave you. Please reward my effort by taking the time to read what I've written!

You've had some really good advice in this thread so far and some really ROTTEN advice! That's the problem with forums like this. 'file_wizard' has given you the best advice. Anyone who said that the bailiffs have a right of access to your house/flat are talking through an orifice where the sun don't shine! I've been through a similar situation and have had more bailiffs at my door than hot dinners! I'm going to give you the benefit of my experience.

The most important advice I want to give you is that there's a HUGE difference for YOU now between taking an active role in dealing with your creditors and putting your head in the sand like most people do.
    <SNIP>
    Valiant

Well thanks for the advice. I'll have to print it off and digest it. You certainly answered a few doubts I had. I feel much better now and can feel a plan coming on.

Thanks to other people who responded as well and to noggin who thought he was helping even if he got some facts wrong.
  • LittleTinker
    Options
    Valiant is right with just about everything.

My partner just had a similar experience which didnt turn out too good.
    The creditor decided to make a charge on our property and that was that.

Absolutely nothing that we could do about it.

They just werent prepared to take small payments and the courts didn't side with us.

The charge was made on our JOINT property too......and I tried to fight that it court!!
    To no avail. We have to pay the charge by 30th Sept or they are calling it in.

Our Solicitor said that she has seen an increasing number of these charges being made.....and them being called in too!!

My advice.........pay off that debt asap.
    And any others you have.....start paying a pound a month to each of them!
  • Skint1
    Skint1 Posts: 1,362 Forumite
    Options
    Hi car67
    Just follow the advice from valiant and you'll be OK. I once owed money and the bailiffs tried lies threats and to intimidate me. None of it worked. I paid back what I owed except bailiff fees told them to take me to court for them.
    You can always get more with a kind word and a 2-by-4 than with just a kind word.
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    valiant advice is very good except for the bit about gifting your property to a trusted family friend....this is deeply flawed advice for the majority of people. (valiant did say that this wasn't an area of his expertise and did advise seeking further advice).

firstly remember that the mortgage company normally has first charge on your property and if you want to dispose of it (even to give it away) you will normally need to pay them back the mortgage... presumably given the level of debt of the OP, its unlikely the OP can afford to pay off the mortgage.

secondly to 'give' a property worth 10s or 100s of thousands of pounds away requires a level of trust that may not be justified (except maybe to a spouse) and so is taking an enormous risk.

thirdly if its jointly owed, depending upon the type of ownership it is not possible to give your 'half' of the house away except to the other joint owner

forthly the courts may take a very dim view of disposing of valuable assetts to avoid paying debts and in some circumstances can reverse the situation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure