overwhelmed new member

Comments

• flippin36
    flippin36 Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    btw - We find that cds, dvds and books do better on Amazon. You can list things and don't pay a fee until you have sold something so it stays listed until its sold. Much easier than ebay I think and we seem to get a few pounds more. Don't dismiss the idea of selling broken things on ebay. As long as you describe it accurately, there are people out there that love broken stuff they can mend. We have just sold an old washing machine that has been cluttering up our garage for years, 2 defunct laptops, non working cameras etc. You may even find ebaying fun when the bids start coming in and the clutter goes down. (Though I'm sure your not cluttered like me). Good luck!
  • flippin36
    flippin36 Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    Re £15 for food for 2 days. You can do this easily. If you need to post on the old style board as they are real pros when it comes to stretching money on groceries - they can make a meal out of nothing. I have taken to shopping late 5-8pm to get reductions on my staples. Bread, cheese, meat, veggies, fruit all get massively reduced - sometimes down to a few pence. If it was just to get you through a tight patch for a few days its certainly worth having a look. 2pm on a Sunday can be pretty good for yellow stickers. If thats not for you Aldi and Lidl are very cheap for staples and good quality.
  • Coco114
    Coco114 Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    :T:TThanks to all for your help :) much appreciated !
    Productive morning so far - have opened paypal acct , earnt £20 in amazon vouchers and am looking at cash back bank accts for all my DDs - having them separate will be only way I won't come unstuck mid month , after March is over , I never want to have to make a grovelling phone call to say I can't pay a bill :( it's totally humiliating.
    Also , I I am going to tell all creditors I will only correspond in writing - I can't cope with the endless calls, voicemails any more !
    Anyhow , off to have a look at amazon now .... Enjoy your Mothers Day :)
    Coco x
    The final chapter - £4893 to go out of £30K
  • vasseur
    vasseur Posts: 3,090 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Have a great Mother's Day Coco :)

Definitely get into Fleabay. I have sold loads in the last year, children's clothes sell especially well. Make sure you mention the brands in the listing title as i think this really helps.

Do you have an iphone? You can get ebay and paypal apps so you can be notified when someone bids, sells or pays you money. It's really addictive and it's that extra little bit of hope that more money is coming in :)

When I think of the amount of things I used to just chuck out :o now even when I buy something I am thinking 'how easy will this be to sell on after we've finished with it???'
    It's not how far you fall - it's how high you bounce back.... :j
    Happiness is not a destination - it's a journey :)
  • loopylouc
    loopylouc Posts: 53 Forumite
    hi - just spotted your thread and had to post to say you are doing so well.:T There is loads of organizing to do when you start out on your debt free journey and being brave moments - mine was answering the phone when I saw it was a withheld number or 0845.

Just to throw something in have you joined any survey sites? I use toluna and valued opinions and one poll. They pay out different amounts for completing surveys. Toluna you do surveys for points and then collect enough points to get vouchers. I find this one a bit of a long haul one, but One Poll pay out at £40 , surveys are for small amounts of cash but I think you get a bonus for joining, and its something to do in an evening. Valued Opinions pay out in vouchers when you get to £10.
    I've had boots and m&s vouchers and used them to get birthday prezzies or basics when we were short at the end of the money\ month. So DD went to school with an M&S packed lunch but we had not cash in the bank.

Hope that helps a bit and good luck with the rest of your journey.
  • Coco114
    Thanks Loopylouc :)
    Have joined couple of survey sights today - will now add one poll to the list !
    Did quite well with my £15.00 , 2 day food shop :) even cats will be fed !! One last challenge - petrol just touched red & got to drive 25 miles tomorrow .... Not sure if I will make it but I guess I will find out tomorrow ha ha :) CB goes in on tuesday thank god !
    Busy trawling through old style so I can make sure my grocery budget goes as far as possible next month !
    Coco x
  • Barbeduk
    Barbeduk Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi Coco, just caught up with your thread (again!). Just wanted to say that I have listed my first 2 items on eBay and it was so much easier than I thought! Feel like such a twit, have been putting it off for months.

Good luck with the petrol tomorrow!
    Make £2020 in 2020 £178.81/£2020
    SPC 13 #51
    Feb Grocery Challenge £4.68/£200
  • poodlegal
    poodlegal Posts: 152 Forumite
    Hey good luck with the petrol... glad you are feeling more upbeat about it all, we finally are trying to get to grips with our finances too and as much as you have to miss out on stuff the feeling of finally heading in the right direction outweights the doing without. Plus it makes you appreciate the little things in life more. Good luck on your df journey! :-)
  • mightyma
    mightyma Posts: 10 Forumite
    I was in the creek a few years ago and couldn't see a way out. Trust me, work hard and pay things off gradually. Live a low key life for a few years and you will be better for it when you come through. Good luck to you.
  • Coco114
    Thanks for the encouragments - it helps a lot :)
    Well I have made it here at least - so just to get hom tonight ! Spent last eveing filling in the CCCS information (took me ages) when I got to the end it said "Contact us immediately, your situation is serious" kind of thing ...... had kind of figured that bit out myself !!
    What worries me is - as someone has already pointed out previously on here - I can just about cover my living and mortgage as I am now - its the rest of the Debtors that I am never going to be able to pay (well more than a token payment anyway). Guess I need to start thinking if IVA or something like that will be the way to go .... thats some more research for me to do then ! Also, looked at the National Debtline Site which seemed more user friendly to me, so I may work my way through that one tonight.
    Have decided I am going to have to start to answer my phone. I figured if I politely refuse to speak to them on the phone and ask that all communication be in writing... eventually they will stop ringing and start writing - I hope :)
    Right, off to do some work now - keep the pennies rolling in and see what the week brings.
    Am due a free upgrade on my Smartphone beginning of May and, as I am happy with the one I have got, think I might put it on ebay and see what I get ..... A rainy Day Fund I thought !! Also, have a newish I Pod that I never use so may try that one as well...... I can see how that could become addictive :)
    Have a great day all - hopefully post later..... though if I have to walk half way home it wont be till very late !!!
    Coco x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport