Cheap Printer Ink?

I am thinking about buying a new printer (actually probably a 3in1) and was wondering which brand you can buy the cheapest compatible ink cartridges for.

At the minute I have narrowed my search down to HP or Lexmark.

any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Quincy_3
    Quincy_3 Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    HP as Lexmark are quite dear, also try and stay away from 3 in ones, as when one bit goes wrong and sent for repair youll have to do without the rest.
  • PierceUK
    PierceUK Posts: 266 Forumite
    I agree HP and Lexmark are the most expensive, althought HP repairs are quite good (re conditioned machine in 5 working days and the old one gets taken away and given to the next person).

Some Epsoms are quite cheap but you have to weight up cost vs ml of ink. some seem cheaper but have less ink.

some of the new brother machines have quite cheap ink but getting them repaired is a knightmare.

Best to have alook around for a few printers that you like and then weigh up the price of ink and any other consumables like printer heads(canon) and how easy the ink is to get!
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,155
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Is it not a case that HP only appear to be dear? I thought I had read somewhere that their inktanks are often significantly larger than other manufacturers? (happy to be corrected on this).

If it is any help there is a group test of various ink cartridges in the latest issue of Computer Shopper.

ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • shammyjack
    shammyjack Posts: 2,685
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I can thoroughly recommend Brother 3 in 1 printers .

I have a DCP-117C which is available online for around £50, genuine ink carts can be had for around £15 for a set of 4 and non genuine for around £6 a set.

Prints good photos and carts last a long time !

shammy
  • nilocmac
    nilocmac Posts: 507
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks for all the help..

Am still thinking brother one now although I did like the look of this one on special offer at Argos. http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6700342.htm (I like the fact you can photocopy without having to turn the computer on.)

I also in regards to a 3-in-1 I also need a scanner so that the reason for the purchase instead of just a printer.

Still mull over things for another few days...
  • Bob63
    Bob63 Posts: 1,320 Forumite
    I would buy and all in one Epson.

Reason? The cost of cartridges for Epson printers is much lower than any other make. Get cartridges from a reputable source such as Choice Stationery - http://www.choicestationery.com - I have been buying cartridges from them for years and will never make the mistake of buying from anyone else. I got my fingers burned when I bought some real crap from Prink.

Mike
  • PierceUK
    That HP has a 21 and 22 ink cartridge , which look cheep enough but are in fact rather small filled ( i think they are the smaller versions of 56 and 57 althought the same price almost....)

The brother machines are good machines and you will find nearly all the All in ones you look at can photocopy without a PC needed.
    A good version we do at work is the DCP 115C which is £74.99, which means you will be able to find it cheaper on the net ;-) it also has the digital camera memory card slots for printing photos direct but be warned photo printing will take a while! i have one of the brothers and they are very good and reliable :-) espically with cheap ink that lasts a while as shammyjack says
  • nilocmac
    nilocmac Posts: 507
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    It's funny you should mention the BROTHER DCP-115C I was interested in it when it was at Argos for 49.99 last week (I think at one point it had been 39.99). However it has gone back up to it's original price 79.99 which is a little too much. Did see it on ebay but a little reluctant to buy something like this on ebay (personal preferance). On the net I think I can only get it for around 70. Good thought though and perhaps cheaper in the long run so not totally discounted.
  • PierceUK
    Yeah i know we had them at half price at work as well. must have been a brother promotion or something because all of their printers have been half price in the last 2 months.

if your a student you can come to staples and get student discount to make it 71.91 :-) a little bit better. or open a business account and get the same discount.
    if any brothers go on special again i will let you lot know as they are quite reliable machines with nice cheap ink, and if you go for the higher spec machines you get networking support and some even wireless and fax.
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Pcworld still have the Brother DCP117 on offer at £49.99 with free delivery. I bought this machine some weeks back after seeing lots of recommendations on this site & am more than happy with it.

It's a stand alone copier too. Ink is widely available & very cheap, & plenty of recommendations of where to buy the cheapest ink cartridges on this board.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure