PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ...

Comments

• Yorkielass
    Yorkielass Posts: 2,235 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've been AWOL for months and months. We finally got an offer on our house at Easter, all fell through in June, got another offer in July & moved mid-August in my busiest week at work of the year.

Been in our new house for 3 1/2 months and it's made a huge difference to our quality of lives so that's good, but it's the same size give or take so the decluttering needs to continue!

Did manage some ebaying/charity shopping/freecycling/recycling before we moved but because everything happened quickly in the end & at a bad time for me work wise our movers packed for us (best £600 I've ever spent I think) but when we came to unpack we found a fair number of things they'd found in kitchen drawers/backs of cupboards that we could've got rid of.

So we've continued the freecycling, recycling/tip trips, gumtree selling since we moved and I have a box for ebay and another for car booting but saving until the new year.

We managed to sell some of the fitted bedroom furniture that came with the house on gumtree and freecycle another piece. Also sold a shredder they left and a tv we bought from our old house but my dad had a flat screen that no longer worked, bought it up and my OH fixed it. Ended up with £60 in the things sold since we've moved fund. Lots of little jobs we want to do to the house so the money will be very welcome.

Need to get myself in gear with some ebaying but will probably leave until the new year now, we're currently worked on storage solutions, a couple of trips to Ikea later and the hall way is sorted and the bedroom more or less done.

As always with me I'm trying hard to reduce the amount of stuff coming into the house.

I'm hoping to get back into this thread now.
    Initial Mortgage January 2024 - £160,000
    Initial Mortgage free date - January 2058
    Mortgage as of 1st February 2024 - £159,134.98
    Overpayments to date - £79.62
    Current Mortgage free date - January 2058
  • Becky_2
    Becky_2 Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    Welcome back Yorkielass, great to hear that you moved in the end and that you are enjoying your new home.

I didn't to much today, I am having a cold with a chesty cough and managed to sleep for 13 hours today. Feeling a better now though.
    No toiletries challenge, started 18/1/2010 - Putting £1 in my savings jar for every item that I use up. Pot 1 to 4 = £261. Pot 5=£23
    Boots points:£39.21. Extra money in 2012:£674.59. In 2013 £603.48. 2014: £85. 2015: £0 :j
  • mineallmine
    mineallmine Posts: 3,053 Forumite
    That's a fantastic amount of decluttering dannie. :j

Warm welcome back yorkielass. You've had a busy summer! :)

Brilliant stuff Lilyplonk. Far better to get recycling and rubbish out the way now before xmas. It seems to take weeks here before the rubbish collection days return to normal. :eek:

Get well soon Becky2.:A

48. Foundation sample used up. Max Factor Infinity(?). Nice stuff. Made a mental note that this was nice but I've got tons of make up to use before I can buy any. :o

Keep decluttering everyone :T
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    :cool2: Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    :heart: Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • happytails
    happytails Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Evening!! Not much thrown, the odd pair of old knickers as they come out of the wash lol But up to date with the washing and washed the dogs bedding and cleaned the chickens drink/food containers as they were quite grim with mud etc.

My Brother is here this evening decluttering my dining room walls of wallpaper lol looking decidedly messy but will be worth it in a few months when its a finished room! Its an open plan kitchen/dining room/family room (we have a seperate lounge/office) and we got the kitchen done in January so it really needs finishing. Walls need replastering, fireplace blocking up, new skirting boards and laminate down on the dining side. A few odds and sods after that but Woohoo! Will be our first finished room that ill be happy with since we moved 3 years ago!! Everything was 'done' cheaply with cheap wallpaper and carpets etc but it looks naff really, all the ceiling are vile artex type and the walls are uneven etc

Enough waffle now lol
    DFW Total £21,800 to clear by Dec 2022
    MFW Total £184,950 £179,066 to clear by 2035
  • Not a lot to report from here: I had a couple of cards to write, found a couple of pens - and neither of them worked. So I've chucked 2 pens today!

6 & 7 2 dried up pens
    8 Birthday card sent to daughter's mother-in-law

Was amusing granddaughter today so no time to settle down to do any useful decluttering!
    Keep Calm and Carry On Kondoing

• mineallmine
    mineallmine Posts: 3,053 Forumite
    Morning all,

49.50. Odd socks

Need to get up to 80 items today to remain on target.

Good luck with decluttering today :)
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    :cool2: Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    :heart: Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • Good morning folks

I got 3 things finished yesterday and can see that this is going to make a great difference this month. So many things in my mind that say - just needs so and so and I can forget it. Instead of listing activities as usual, I'm listing complete tasks and not letting myself cross it off until it's really done - so important for a non-finisher like me. So already this morning I filled in a form, but didn't count it done until the envelope was in the letter box. Logs are coming this morning and I've been out to prepare the space but until it's all put away, I won't count that. Uncompleted tasks mean piles of things everywhere, so definitely a way of decluttering for me.
  • Lilyplonk
    Lilyplonk Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    edited 4 December 2012 at 9:53AM
    Morning everybody :hello:

Looks like you've all been kept busy - keep it up p-l-e-a-s-e, cos you're all giving ME some of your own motivation ..............

Noticed you mentioned giving away a part-used foundation, mineallmine - think that's something that I could copy. I'm sure my DD/dgd1 will both be very grateful - dgd1 usually 'half-inches' my stuff anyway ................. ;)

Good luck with your work assessment, museumworker - that's one thing that I definitely don't miss about now being retired :D - we were having them on a monthly basis before I 'jumped ship'.

:rotfl:, Godiva - how on earth do we become so attached to those darn 'pieces of metal' - I recently 'bit the bullet' and dumped FIVE roasting tins and bought two nice shiney new ones ........ but it really pained me to do it :(.

:T dannie - great efforts. I agree with you that 'thinking tasks' have to count - no point in not planning the decluttering. Otherwise, you'll end up chucking out things that necessary. I seem to remember the people working with the 'hoarding guy' on TV worked on three piles - KEEP, CHUCK and NOT SURE. After dumping the CHUCK stuff, they they re-sorted the NOT SURE and found it easier to get a sense of perspecitve on them.

Hello Yorkielass - good to know that you've now settled into your new home. I enjoyed reading your news, as that's what I'm working towards. I KNEW I would be moving shortly - but it's now IMMINENT and I've gone into 'panic mode' :eek:!

Get well soon, Becky - sounds like that 'healing sleep' really did you the world of good bed.gif.

Flipping heck, happytails - it's almost Christmas, you've got a very young baby, chickens AND somebody in to decorate as well as trying to declutter!!! Where on earth do you get your energy from, girl - and can I have some please. Well done you :T.

Hey, loopychriss, looking after the next generation is the best reason on earth for NOT getting on with housework :j - and well done on chucking out those two pens - why do we continue to just put them back in with all the others when we KNOW that they don't work shrug.gif.

Go for it, mineallmine - you know you can manage 60 ............

I'm another 'non-finisher', silentsister - knitting projects / sewing projects / embroidery projects - luckily, I've managed to find plastic storage boxes with lids to keep them all together - phew! Good luck with your log delivery hope you manage to get them all stacked safely.

I've decided NOT to go to the gym today - I'll use the energy in a more productive way instead. If I'm really ruthless, it should be a good workout anyway!

At the moment, there's no point in me trying to count or really list items as it would only hold me up ..................... so I'll get offski and make a start for today.

Onwards and upwards, ladies - onwards and upwards!!!!!

Lilyplonk xxx
  • happytails
    happytails Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hoping to be productive this afternoon, im out at a friends this morning with the kids so hoping on the way back they'll nap and i can make a mental plan of what i should attack when i get home.

Happy declttering everyone!
    DFW Total £21,800 to clear by Dec 2022
    MFW Total £184,950 £179,066 to clear by 2035
  • Becky_2
    Becky_2 Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    Morning all,

Thanks for your well wishes, I am feeling a bit better today having slept for another 12 hours.

I am taking part in another challenge on MSE called "no buying unnecessary toiletries" where quite a few people are sending off their unwanted toiletries and other items suitable for girls from 0 to 16 or boys 0 to 8 to Give and Makeup. I think this is a great idea if you have items that you don't want but don't want to throw away. I am sending my shoe box off soon.

Here is the website for further details http://www.giveandmakeup.com/
    No toiletries challenge, started 18/1/2010 - Putting £1 in my savings jar for every item that I use up. Pot 1 to 4 = £261. Pot 5=£23
    Boots points:£39.21. Extra money in 2012:£674.59. In 2013 £603.48. 2014: £85. 2015: £0 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure