PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Gluten free products

Hello everyone,

i am cutting gluten out of the kids' diets but I have a few questions. I also just wanted to say that i cook practically everything from scratch but i am worried about the raw ingredients.

Can you get self raising (gluten free) flour?

Do you use gluten free flour/breadflour etc in exactly the same way as normal flour? Does it work in the same way?

How does the cake mixture etc etc bind together if the gluten is taken out?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Did a quick google search for Gluten Free Recipes

HTH :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • suzy_g
    suzy_g Posts: 726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi ziggi I am a coeliac so I have to use gluten free products, I don't make bread as i really don't like the gluten free ones so i just buy ordinary for the rest of the family, I do make cakes and they turn out really well, I buy the gluten free flour , its plain so i add baking powder, but I have to make sure its the gluten free type ,if your really serious about taking out gluten, which believe me its really hard, you need to check every label including sweets and condiments, and if you want to eat out you have to make sure all the ingredients are checked I'm often ill after eating out because something was fried in the same oil which has had gluten in they have use a sauce or a vinegar (malt) which has gluten, personally I don't think there is any think wrong with gluten except if you are a coeliac and are extremely allergic to it ,why not just give up wheat? for you can end up with a very restrictive diet no wheat or malt no barley. rye, oats etc any coeliac will tell you this is a very hard diet to follow, are you going to watch your kids when they go to parties and give them their own food to take? I never eat out as much as i like because i have to explain to the people that I'm not on some self inflicted fad diet I put myself on, i can be ill for days when i been glutened sorry to go on but I think you really need to rethink this .
  • Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    Thanks for the posts guys.

Since Suzy g raised her concerns....DS & DD were diagnosed with lactose intollerance but despite a dairy free diet, DS & DD (mostly DS) has continued to suffer from certain symptoms - most notably diahorrea. I KNOW that they are having a dairy free diet so this has led me to think there must be something else affecting them. Gluten seemed the next logical thing to consider as it appears DS is alot worse when he has eaten certain foods that have alot of gluten in them. GP wasn't terribly helpful when i first had concerns about lactose intollerance although the Health Visitor was fantastic and infact it was her who made the GP do something. I wanted to try a gluten free diet (or at worst, a gluten REDUCED diet) to see if it has an affect. If it does have a possitive affect then i will feel i have more evidence to produce to the GP. I thought i would ask for tips on here first then try to change the flour, bread, pasta that we use.

If it is likely to be a gluten intollerance, would i expect to see a pretty quick improvement after switching to a GF diet?

P.S. DS & DD are certainally not small for their age (which i have read indicates malabsorption of nutrients. They are both exceptionally tall for their age and rather thin (but not underweight). Can this be the case? or are people with undiagnosed GF underweight?
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    village Bakery are very good for gluten free and dairy free products. village-bakery.com. Their products are also available in health food shops and some supermarkets such as Asda & Tesco sell the bread. Hope this helps
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • kscour
    kscour Posts: 665 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    DD2 was suspected of having a mild gluten intolerance (intolerance rather than allergy) we found just switching her onto brown bread from local bakery cured her stomach problems (she found it nearly impossible to get wind out it just bubbled inside her - painful) She does have gluten free cereal though and knows not to eat white bread or two much cakes etc. Stomach cleared up in about a week and within a fortnight she was a regular wind producer!:D

I found it helpful to look on http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk because they have a list of gluten free products which I then looked out for locally.

Funnily enough OH can't eat white bread or "supermarket" bread it has to be freshly baked brown bread. That's why switching the bread was the first thing we tried.
  • janeym8
    janeym8 Posts: 529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    on a slightly different note if change to gluten free product is for medical reasons you should be able to get certain foodstuffs free on prescription.im not sure what you can all get but i know you can get bread and biscuits

janey xxx
    LIFE IS FOR LIVING-I`VE LEARNT THAT THE HARD WAY
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family