Best cheap cat litter?

crafty*kate
crafty*kate Posts: 158 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 22 November 2017 at 9:58AM in Pets & pet care
Hi folks, I don't normally post over here but as it's a cat thing I thought you might be able to help!

I have recently moved house and no longer have a cat flap (it's rented so I can't put one in). My 4.5 year old boy likes being indoors and won't go outside for more than about 5 minutes - he's a timid lad. So, obviously, he is now doing his thing inside and it's costing me a fortune in cat litter.

He's been really, really good at using the tray and so I am trying to make sure I am equally good at keeping it clean for him. But I am getting through so much litter...what are the best cheap ones you have found?

Morrisons is my nearest supermarket and their cheapest value stuff isn't very good (I use lots of it). Their next one up is ok-ish, but I am wondering if there are any other options?

Thanks!
Kate x

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• Apricot
    Apricot Posts: 2,497 Forumite
    I use Catsan - it's definitely not the cheapest but a £5 bag lasts me over a week for two completely indoor cats (3 trays). I scoop it out regularly and change completely about every 3 days. I used to buy the smartprice one but found it actually ended up costing me more!
    :happylove DD July 2011:happylove

Aug 13 [STRIKE]£4235.19[/STRIKE]:eek: £2550.00 :cool:
  • Yes I am using more of the cheap one so I don't think it's cost-effective. Also, it's heavy.

How much litter do you put in the trays? Maybe I'm putting too much in....I do fill it quite deep because he always seems to dig so much to cover it, IYKWIM?
  • joeblack066
    joeblack066 Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Tesco Value is very good imo
  • Apricot
    Apricot Posts: 2,497 Forumite
    Yes I am using more of the cheap one so I don't think it's cost-effective. Also, it's heavy.

How much litter do you put in the trays? Maybe I'm putting too much in....I do fill it quite deep because he always seems to dig so much to cover it, IYKWIM?

Probably about 2-3 inches deep - I find the more I put in, the more they dig so if I fill them anymore it ends up all over the floor!

One of my cats in particular thinks he needs to dig to china every time he uses the tray :rotfl:
    :happylove DD July 2011:happylove

Aug 13 [STRIKE]£4235.19[/STRIKE]:eek: £2550.00 :cool:
  • wilykit
    wilykit Posts: 1,188 Forumite
    I agree with joeblack - when I had my cat I used to but a large bag for around £1.50 and it lasted me a fair while - and didn't smell. I used to get Asda's own but I found this smelt really bad when my cat had been to the toilet!!
    The more one gets to know of men, the more one values dogs.
  • Apricot wrote: »
    Probably about 2-3 inches deep - I find the more I put in, the more they dig so if I fill them anymore it ends up all over the floor!

One of my cats in particular thinks he needs to dig to china every time he uses the tray :rotfl:

Ha! I used that exact same phrase to describe my cat. He really goes for it!:rotfl:

I am going to make a trip to Tescos at the weekend (it's a long drive, lol) so I will try their value stuff too, thanks joe.
  • dandm1
    dandm1 Posts: 369 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I found the Sainsburys clumping litter to be very good. Good price and clumps really well - annoying though as I shop at Tesco usually!
    Thank you to all the compers!
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I am a very recent clumping litter convert - with 4 cats that are indoor only (they get out with me into communal garden for an hour or so a day but that is all), I was going through masses of cat litter, coming up to like £40-£50 per month.

Having tested various litters (had a long thread on here) I now stick to MulticatLitter which is around £5.50 per 7kg bag and that bag, with my 4 cats lasts me a whole week. I have an extra large extra deep cat litter box that I empty the whole 7kg bag into and only ick the clumps - believe me with 4 cats I am forever picking those LOL

I guess for one cat that bag would last you well over a month - for £5.50 it would not be so bad I guess?

They sell them at Pets at Home, this is the one that I personally buy and swear by now:

22307.jpg

They also do normal (not multi cat) version for the same price:

22305.jpg

The link to the product:

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/clumping-adult-cat-litter-7kg-by-clean-n-tidy-15271

I too tried Catsan but it was no way as efficient as this one....

Also tried PAT own brand:

22427.jpg

But that one was only 2 litres (and only a £1 cheaper) so the Clean and Tidy is much more better - more of it, lasts longer.

All the best
  • Beckyy
    Beckyy Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Aldi clumping cat litter! £1.79 for 10L. Buy a few bags together if there's not one within regular shopping distance to you. One bag lasts me just under 2 weeks for 2 cats, it's better than any others we've tried (mainly Tesco).
  • neffy58
    neffy58 Posts: 628 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 March 2011 at 2:33PM
    Sadly I am without cat at the moment as you will see from my signature, but like dandm1, used to use Sainsbury's clumping cat litter.
    Costs less than £2 for an 8 litre bag from what I remember.

I still have some left, so perhaps in time I will have to rescue another purrbaby.......
    RIP Marmaduke 04.02.11 & MIsty 09.06.12 very, very sadly missed xxx

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport