highest paying (crap) jobs... need money

Options
I was made redundant at the end of August, and I'm a media and communication graduate with not loads of experience in tv/video but some. my last job was in a media company - official role of PA but i also filmed and edited a few conference videos.

Basically although i've had interviews I have been without any income for over a month. The search for a tv job is a hard one, and it may take me another 2, 3, 4 months to get one. I'm looking to earn the most money i can (don't mind if its a horrible job no-one wants to do and that's why its high paying) whilst i search for my next career job.

I know the royal mail night worker shifts used to be high, but they're basically mininum wage now. and i can't find anything apart from care work, which i wouldn't be comfortable doing.

thanks for any input
shell

Comments

• savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Your leaving at late for Christmas work assuming that is okay. How about shop work, Argos, Supermarkets etc

Royal mail will may be too late. I use to work for them the Christmas schedules will be out in October and new recruits taken on in November

No harm is asking though why not ring local sorting office up.

BTW you cant advertise your business here in the other post

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=15615769#post15615769

EDIT you post has gone now
  • BodyShopBabe_2
    Options
    Hi

I was on maternity leave when I started doing The Body Shop At Home parties to earn a bit of extra cash. You can fit it in around your home/work life I just do a couple of parties per week (about 3 hours per party) and on average I make about £50 per night. Coming up to Christmas it is likely to double as people do their Christmas shopping with us.

I know you are looking for a full time job but thought I would mention party plan in case it's something you hadn't thought of. It's a fun and easy way of making extra cash when you need it.

Good luck with your search. If you would like more info, please PM me.
    x
  • shell145
    shell145 Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thanks for the replies.

i couldn't do the parties due to living with my boyfriend in our flat it wouldn't work. also i'm kind of shy so the parties thing doesn't suit me, but thank you.

i'm not looking for christmas work - i mean i'd do it if it was well paid, but none of it is. the same for supermarket work, even nightshifts from what i can figure have gone down a lot - they used to be some at £9 odd an hour, but now only up to about £7/8 - which is kind of pants, would earn at least that in admin.

hmmmmm

thanks for you comments though
    Shell

PS. My other thread is advertising discounted services - saving the £s
  • LisaLou1982
    LisaLou1982 Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Just a thought.......
    You said you got made redundant at end of August and havent had a job since yet you are turning down work???
    Far be it from me to judge but if you dont have an income coming in, id have thought you wouldnt be able to afford to be picky!!! Take a minimum paid job until you find something better.
    £2 Savers Club #156! :)
    Looking for holiday ideas for 2016. Currently, Isle of Skye in March, Riga in May, Crete in June and Lake District in October. August cruise cancelled, but Baby due September 2016! :j
  • Cerisa
    Cerisa Posts: 350 Forumite
    Options
    sales. it'll be horrible, but well paid if you're any good.
    £1600 overdraft
    £100 Christmas Fund
  • wileycat
    wileycat Posts: 2,285 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    shell145 wrote: »

I know the royal mail night worker shifts used to be high, but they're basically mininum wage now.
    Thats probably as you can only see ads for casual workers at 5.95 an hour. They tend to pick the best casual staff and offer them permanent jobs at postman's wages which are a bit more than that.
    You should still get the night shift allowance on top of that if you wanted to do nights.
  • george2
    george2 Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    Just a thought.......
    You said you got made redundant at end of August and havent had a job since yet you are turning down work???
    Far be it from me to judge but if you dont have an income coming in, id have thought you wouldnt be able to afford to be picky!!! Take a minimum paid job until you find something better.

i'm in a job i don't like, but i can't find anything else yet. so i'll be sticking it out till i can.
    i'm not looking for christmas work - i mean i'd do it if it was well paid, but none of it is. the same for supermarket work, even nightshifts from what i can figure have gone down a lot - they used to be some at £9 odd an hour, but now only up to about £7/8 - which is kind of pants, would earn at least that in admin.

i'd love to be on £7/£8 per hour, i'm currently on less than £6 per hour but it's a job and the bills need paying. so i can't afford to just leave.
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    Why not register with temp agencies?

If you need the money, you can't afford to be choosy.

You might even get a permanent offer if you're any good.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • scuzz
    scuzz Posts: 1,995 Forumite
    Options
    Have you registered on the Guardian's job site? They do a lot of media listings on there.

I used to waitress and work behind a bar when I was out of work in the industry I work in. It will probably be minimum wage, but the tips are generally pretty good - especially over the festive period;)

You could try a supermarket. They seem to pay fairly well, and you'd get a discount on your shopping there
    Comping, Clicking & Saving for Change
  • Chloe5
    Chloe5 Posts: 81 Forumite
    Options
    As an alternative to care work try the NHS - they often take untrained 'nurses' called CSWs and you can work on many different kinds of wards. Go to your local hospital site or to the NHS one to narrow down your search to say a radius of 20 miles.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure