Can I sign off Jobseekers Allowance online?

When I signed on a few weeks back, I was told that I could sign off online. They know I start work tomorrow but I couldn't hand in my book on Friday due to my mothers ongoing illness for which they don't give a monkey's....

Does anyone know how or where I can do this online? I have searched and searched but I am not really good with working the internet..

I would greatly appreciate any help, advice or websites. I thank you in advance.

Comments

• Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    If they do offer this, it would have to be a relatively new service - certainly couldn't do it 18 months ago.

I signed off by completing the appropriate section of the signing-on card and then posting it to them.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Yes, it is very recent because this was not an option for me in September when I signed off. I specifically asked about it because I applied for my JSA online.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I can't find anything on DirectGive to suggest it's possible to end a JSA claim online, everything about change of circustance says you have to contact your jobcentre. If it is something new then they've got it well hidden at the moment!
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    You can sign off by post.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • it's dangerous doing that kind of thing online. Much safer that they see you face to face, ensure you are the person you say you are and officially sign you off.
  • Unfortunately I am outside the country for the next few months. I really don't want to give my mother the task of getting it to the post office. It seems like this is the only way.

However, I remember 100% that the woman in the Job Centre told me this. Hopefully this will help other people if not me.
  • I have searched too but the searches are too polluted with garbage. It should be on the main JSA page... but that would be too easy lol
  • cheekyweegit
    cheekyweegit Posts: 1,195
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If you don't sign off there is a risk you will lose any money which is due to you up to the day before you start work (today).

Please complete your ES40 card or write a letter confirming you want to sign off and why, stating your employers name, contact details and start date and the last day you want to claim JSA. This date is the day before you start work, not the Friday before which many people get confused about.

Try and get your ES40 / letter in before your next sign on day, if it's not in before then or within 5 working days your claim will be closed for failing to attend (FTA) and you will lose any money which is due to you.

Hope this helps and good luck with the job.

Edit - does your job centre have an external post box in their front door which you can pop it in? Might be worth while checking just in case, failing that send it recorded delivery, you can post it from any where, even an airport.
  • You can't do it online - yet.

You can, however, do it by telephone. You should have been given the number when your claim started, but if not, call the Jobcentre and they will give you the right number to call.
  • jay_bee wrote: »
    Unfortunately I am outside the country for the next few months. I really don't want to give my mother the task of getting it to the post office. It seems like this is the only way.

If you are leaving the country for work, just stick your signoff claim in a postbox which is always present at a departure point- ferry terminal, Eurostar terminal, airport. You just stick the page in an envelope, address it, stick a stamp on it and away you go- simple. I did this in August.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure