Fiesta ST - fan stuck on, worn battery flat!

katebl
katebl Posts: 637 Forumite
Hi everyone, as above basically, OH drove the car 5 miles into work and the fan has been on for 45 mins now and flattened the battery - am going to have to call RAC or AA and join up (not cheap I know!) but has anyone any suggestions as to why this could have happened? The car is a 55 plate, we bought it in August and straight away had to have a new water pump - not sure if that's relevant?

If anyone needs any more info please let me know, any thoughts welcome!:confused:

Comments

• Exemplar
    Exemplar Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    which fan?
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.
  • katebl
    The engine fan? I can hear it through the front grille? HTH, I'm not very good with cars!
  • Thermostat for the fan stuck????
    Check the car's handbook to see if there is a separate fuse for the fan. If so, removing it would prevent the fan working, though there may be a risk of the car overheating then (but unlikely in this cold weather?).
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • Is there an actual engine temp guage on the dash, and does it read normal or hot?

It may be that the water is not circulating and the engine is running hot, causing the fan to be called for. (you mentioned that you had water pump problems in the past, or the bottom of the rad could be frozen.)
    “Careful. We don't want to learn from this.”
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    I had a similar problem on my Cosworth. The stealers replaced the battery before they diagnosed it was the temperature sensor unit which cost very little and was very easy to replace.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • katebl
    Thanks all, just had RAC come and jump the battery, it works fine now and the fan has stopped (annoyingly) but he thought it may be a stuck relay (whatever that is!). Just seems to be one thing after another!
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    katebl wrote: »
    Thanks all, just had RAC come and jump the battery, it works fine now and the fan has stopped (annoyingly) but he thought it may be a stuck relay (whatever that is!). Just seems to be one thing after another!

My problem was an intermitent fault. Battery flat every other week. When I took it to the gararage they couldn't find anything wrong.

The sensor cost very little I would suggest change it, may save you getting stuck. Very easy to do even DIY, look in maintenance manual or ask a friendly mechanic to point out the components.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Exemplar
    Exemplar Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I second Missile, if it is that its very cheap and an easy DIY job
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    If the engine / radiator fan had cut in, it possibly indicates an overheating problem, this may be the result of having too weak anti freeze mixture, amongst other things.

The fan being on, in itself shouldn't cause the battery to run flat.
  • catflea
    catflea Posts: 6,620 Forumite
    Inactive,

I've read it as the vehicle being stationary and turned off (hence the need for a jump) Rad Fans draw a reasonable amount of current in general and 45mins at full chat would certainly be enough to drain a fester battery.

Remember that when the cars off, the alternators not spinning and the batterys not charging so any discharges can run the car down very quickly!
    Proud of who, and what, I am. :female::male:
    :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family