Have you reclaimed old bank accounts/savings/investments? Success Stories wanted!

Comments

• Hello, so am i to understand that I enter old account details to my lostaccount.com and wait to hear from them? If so then I have already done this and I am still waiting to hear from these people about old accounts. About 3 of them - one my late mother's Nat West account and two lloyds bank ones. I have waited for e mails for about 4-6 weeks (possibly longer) and I have not heard anything.

Do i need to go through this process again? Im just wondering whether I am doing something wrong.

Help!

Justin
  • dc110
    dc110 Posts: 262 Forumite
    Took it into day, apparently in 36yrs the interest accrued is £4.05p.

I took the £6.50, what else could I do!

I must admit, I didn't know what to expect, but I left with the impression that, they didn't know what to do, and some manager said offer 5% per year and see if he will accept it.

Think it might be about right. If my calculations are correct £2.45 for 36 years at 3% would be worth £7.10

No idea of historic interest rates but seems 3% seems a reasonable estimate
  • Lyndahayes
    Lyndahayes Posts: 9 Forumite
    edited 12 June 2009 at 3:46PM
    Wow! I forgot all about an account I once had at Nationwide... I went to the lost account form and I just heard I have nearly £50 waiting for me! I totally forgot about it since I last used the account in 1992! I will go and get it next week!

I have saved literally thousands and have been helped to claim back so many things because of this website. If it hadn't been for the moneysavingexpert website and everyone here, I would have gone bankrupt years ago. Truly! Thanks everyone :) x x x
  • justinking wrote: »
    Hello, so am i to understand that I enter old account details to my lostaccount.com and wait to hear from them? If so then I have already done this and I am still waiting to hear from these people about old accounts. About 3 of them - one my late mother's Nat West account and two lloyds bank ones. I have waited for e mails for about 4-6 weeks (possibly longer) and I have not heard anything.

Do i need to go through this process again? Im just wondering whether I am doing something wrong.

Help!

Justin

It took the 3 banks I contacted about 6 months to answer me. But I finally got a result today! Nice! Guess you will have to wait a long time, but if there is anything there, it will come to you. I was losing faith and forgot all about it and now all is well! x x x
  • I still have copies of the only three statements I ever received from the Midland bank when I opened a Number one account in 1989 with a £1
    Six months later the statement was £1.06
    and then for some reason they changed to a yearly statement and the amount was £1.10.
    So although I hadn't had any other correspondence since then I knew I had a dormant account with them when I found the article about reclaiming through mylostaccount.

July 2008 completed form
    October 2008 told my account had been found and I would hear in a month.
    July 2009 remembered and chased it up with the BBA
    August 2009 recieved a letter confirming an account was with the HSBC and to go to a branch with ID. (All they did was photocopy it)
    Two weeks ago got another letter to contact them - they had lost the account and wanted the details again.

After a very frustrating, long time a cheque has finally arrived today for £1.13!!
    Obviously I'm a tad disappointed after all that effort - I had opened the account in 1989 and in 20 years I had earned only 3p in interest! I was never sure from the article on MSE if you were still paid interest on a dormant account and knew it still wouldn't be much but I kinda hoped anyway!?! :confused:
    Shame but I suppose every penny counts...
  • malik999
    malik999 Posts: 376 Forumite
    justinking wrote: »
    Hello, so am i to understand that I enter old account details to my lostaccount.com and wait to hear from them? If so then I have already done this and I am still waiting to hear from these people about old accounts. About 3 of them - one my late mother's Nat West account and two lloyds bank ones. I have waited for e mails for about 4-6 weeks (possibly longer) and I have not heard anything.

Help!

Justin

For anyone looking for this the domain is: mylostaccount.org.uk not lostaccount.com
  • When i turned 18 last december i received a lump sum from a trust fund my grand-parents had invested into with LV - i was expecting around £3k but due to the credit crunch and the drop in the savings rate i lost over £1k, does anyone know if and how i can claim this back ?

any help would be much appreciated :)
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,252 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    When i turned 18 last december i received a lump sum from a trust fund my grand-parents had invested into with LV - i was expecting around £3k but due to the credit crunch and the drop in the savings rate i lost over £1k, does anyone know if and how i can claim this back ?

Its not savings, its investments and investments go down as well as up. December 08 was a pretty bad time to have a maturity. Indeed, things are up around 30% since then.

You can claim nothing back because nothing wrong has occured.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • cobster
    cobster Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I had a success using mylostaccount to trace a Halifax account. I had tried this direct with Halifax a few years ago but with no response from them. I had two accounts so filled in an application for each account on 10 February. I had two responses from the BBA to say that the accounts had been found on 24 February. I then received a letter from the Halifax on 25 February confirming they had found one account and the steps that I needed to take to prove that it was no longer dormant. I waited for the letter about the other account to arrive but nothing came. I went into Halifax to sort out the account which hadn't been used since 11 August 1993 and had £46.79 in it. I asked them to update my book and the following transactions were put in:

1 Feb 94 Gross Interest 0.71
    1 Feb 94 25% tax -0.18
    10 May 94 Quarterly charge -£2.50
    10 Aug 94 Quarterly charge -£2.50
    10 Nov 94 Quarterly charge -2.50
    19 Jun 97 Cash bonus £3.77
    22 Mar 10 Book update (new total) £43.59

So no interest and £3.91 down. Is this right?? Have I missed a trick? Should I ask them for the last 17 years?

I am also going to chase through the other account that I know had some money in it but which they say they have no record of.

Any thoughts on the above would be much appreciated.
  • Dizzley
    Dizzley Posts: 12 Forumite
    Great joy at Dizzley Towers this morning -
    the Premium Bonds that once were lost are now found. :D

Early in February I entered my details at mylostaccount.co.uk and ticked every bank/savings intitution I ever passed the door of. Now, five months later, I have received £59 in lost premium bonds from NS&I.

Well, it's not enough to retire on but as I am one of the (not-so) idle unemployed it is more than welcome.

I guess I should check if I've won anything - I'll let you know.

Thanks for the prompting MSE! :beer:

Dizz.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family