Cheap UK Travel Deals Discussion

Comments

• Just thought I'd put a little note in here from someone who the offer of £5 off train tickets actually worked. I had no problems whatsoever finding routes and times that suited and got 5 pounds of a 10 pound journey, so half price for me! :T
  • I am delighted to say that today it worked :T
    Had to register twice but I did indeed get my £5 off.
  • Lad
    Lad Posts: 85
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Well I just tried to use the code that was emailed to me and used this link http://www.fgwtickets.co.uk/promotion_init.asp?spromotion=FGW5OFF&sitecode=FGWThe site accepted my code, but the total price charged was the same that I would have paid on a non 'trainline' website that I checked at the same time, so no discount was applied. I bought 2 single tickets from Manchester to Euston for November 15th.

I was already registered with FGW and Trainline, would this have made any difference?

hs

Hi happyshopper. How did you get your pin? Like you, I'm already registered with FGW and Trainline but when I try to register to get my £5 pin, its says my email address is already registered. Is this promotion only opened to new registrations?
  • millie
    millie Posts: 1,442
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    They have some very cheap deals at Shearings at the moment, they are late deals but they always seem to have late deals on offer. eg 5 day All Inclusive coach holidays for £129

http://www.shearings.com/uk/coachholidayoffers.aspx
  • i found the link would not work
    I also tried the Virgin link which worked fine. My problem is i don't have a suitable mobile phone to receive tickets. is there any way i can get a printable ticket on my computer?
  • glynd_2
    glynd_2 Posts: 384 Forumite
    Although there is still a link on the main website you cannot get print at home tickets. Virgin Support say that they are no longer available and have no idea when the system will be operational again. In the meantime you can only get Mobitix tickets requiring a wap enabled phone for each travelling passenger. Of course there are lots of more expensive tickets available via the contact centre. Not very inclusive for a company providing a heavily subsidised public service!!
  • Quick tip for National Express Funfares that might be worth a mention on the site.

If you're booking a journey that involves multiple coaches then don't book it all on one ticket.

For example, I wanted to travel from Canterbury to Birmingham and back. This involves a change in London so that's four coaches total. By booking a return from Canterbury to London the National Express website tries to charge me about £42 (if I recall correctly). So what I did was go through their booking process four times. I booked Canterbury to London, London to Birmingham, Birmingham to London then London to Canterbury. With Funfares the average cost of each trip was £5 making my total ticket cost about £20. This was booking the day before travel as well.

It takes a bit longer but book in sections and use Funfare e-tickets and on this type of journey you could at least halve your cost.

Also if you have a phone that allows you to store and display web pages but lack a printer then that (in my experience) has been just as valid as a printout. Saves you the 50p on the mobile phone ticket if you can do it that way but I've only tested this a couple of times so I'm not sure if it came down to a generous driver or company policy.
  • Club 55 is back in Scotland till March 31st 2009

With Club 55 you can travel anywhere in Scotland at off peak times (and as far down as Carlisle) for just £15 return between 20 October and 31 March 2009 inclusive. (excluding travel between 19 December and 11 January)

Last week I got a return ticket from Aberdeen to Glasgow for £15 instead of £47.10.
    http://www.firstgroup.com/scotrail/club55
  • goblin
    goblin Posts: 20
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Sorry if this should be posted somewhere else ... I'm not very good at this sort of thing.
    I booked a journey through thetrainline.com and got the chance to claim back £15 off my next journey during a 30 day free trial of Shopper Discounts & Rewards. Bit of a palavar because after the trial period they debit you £10 a month to be a member, but I did check in the small print that you can cancel, it was worth it I reckon. I booked another journey within the required period (30 days) (not even for me ... for my sister, who needs to travel soon). e-mailed the trainline payment confirmation to SDR and a £15 cheque arrived within 3 days! Cancelled my trial period. Job done. I've got £15 in the bank - to share with my sis! :beer:
  • njb286
    njb286 Posts: 39
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    MSE_Archna wrote: »
    Hi there,

First Great Western has said there should be no problems claiming the £5 off but if you could be more specific about the problems they will look into any possible glitches. If you could post some more details on this thread that would be great.

Many thanks

I just registered and got an e-mail immediately with a pin number. Tried to use it via the link and direct to the website and it says its invalid. Called the number on their site and spoke to a woman in India who said I couldn't book with her if I had got the code online. She then told me I had to wait for 10 minutes before I used it. Have tried again and it still wont accept it.

I can;t find anywhere on their website where you can actually contact someone.

Any advice?
    Mother, wife, ex-teacher, ex-mortgage advisor, support worker, full-time woman!!

Competition wins 2021
    £100 Amazon vouchers
    iPad
    Pink lady apple tree in an orchard in France
    Tea for two and pottery session
    Paralympic Homecoming Party - Wembley Arena

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income