Selling Books on Green Metropolis Discussion (Merged)

sellingmysoul666
sellingmysoul666 Posts: 990
First Post
Forumite
Hi
I can recommed a great way to sell books & give money to charity

https://www.greenmetropolis.com/index2.asp

I have had 3 sales from them in the past month.

You get £3 per book and; if its heavy you can charge extra for postage

You list your book & you get an email when it has sold with the address to send it to

When they receive the book the money is credited to your account then you ask for it to be send via BACS to your bank account.

Its much less stressfull than EBAY

Have a look there are loads of books listed including new releases

Helen ;D
"what lies behind us & what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comments

• sal
    sal Posts: 161
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    This looks like a great site. Being avid readers in this house and having a great mountain of books that are just so difficult to part with, the thought of making a bob or two and helping to save the planet in the process seems such a good idea.

Now I've gone and bought another book already! Oops!

Sal
    you can't take it with you...
  • sal
    sal Posts: 161
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    This is worth bringing up to the top of the 'tree' again ;)

I've had loads of books from this site now, all delivered quickly and in great condition. So easy to use too.

I've now put a few books on of my own to test the water. Easy again. And everyone benefits.

If it works maybe I'll move on to bigger things on ebay soon.

sal
    you can't take it with you...
  • Hi
    Thanks for the bump.
    I have now sold 20 books via this site.
    I always check out amazon first if the lowest item for sale in the marketplace is less than £3 I just put it on here.
    But green metropolis also advertise their books on amazon so you get the best of both sites.
    I have not had any problems so far.
    If its a heavy book it gives you the option of charging extra for postage - even better.
    Go trees

Helen
    "what lies behind us & what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,858
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Senior Ambassador
    this is a nice site
    havn't bought yet but I will be ;D
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Thanks for bumping this post up or I would have missed it.

Have got 2 boxes of books that need a new home and this looks a good place to try my hand at this selling lark (ebay bit scary for me at mo!)
  • i've just put loads of books on here so am bumping this up again.

can't wait to see how many sell - those that dont after a few months i'll do a car boot.

really easy site to use and it can even find books without isbn number

great!
  • katchambers
    katchambers Posts: 1,129
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Since I can't get a sellers account with amazon (don't even get me started on that!) I have looked into alternatives.

Abebooks seem like the best out of the bunch I found, apart from their high fees, so I was wondering if anyone has sold with them and whether it was any good, any advice?

Greenmetropolis pay £3 per book you sell so I think cheaper books and more popular books will be best with them, the books that you would only sell for 1 or 2 pounds anyway, plus they have no fees.

I will focus on abe for now and see if I can make a profit. I am going to some charity shops and the boot sale at the weekend, any advice for what books to look out for, what prices I should be paying etc?

If anyone knows any better bookselling places pls advise me, if not I will go with abebooks.

Thanks everyone
    Kat x
    My darling boy born December 2011

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,034
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    I've had stuff listed on green metropolis for a few weeks but I've never sold anything, but i don't know if I'm just trying to sell the wrong things of course.

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have given up with Green Metropolis. I listed loads of books with them over a six month period (all excellent condition, non-fiction & fiction, bestsellers & more obscure stuff) and not one thing sold. There seems to be more sellers than buyers. So, I ended up putting the books on Amazon. I think Abebooks is supposed to be good, but you'd need lots of books to sell to make the high fees worthwhile. You seem to get more businesses on Abebooks rather than private sellers.
  • Since I can't get a sellers account with amazon (don't even get me started on that!) I have looked into alternatives.

You didn't get any help on the phone with amazon then? Can you try using a relatives details and you just sell and post them as a proxy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure