Halswell house

Hi there. I'm getting married at Halswell house in Somerset next year and have recently had a letter from them saying they have changed managing agent.

It is somewhat low on details and I'm rather concerned about what is happening. I've spoken to the new managing agent and they seemed very vague on the phone. Does anyone have any more details?

looking on Companies House the new agent is significally behind with filing their accounts, which doesn't bode well.

I've paid a deposit to the old agent which I assume will transfer across, although they never sent my signed contract back to me.

I'm interest to see if anyone else has heard anything?

Comments

• Hi there i am getting married there next year aswell. Im also very concerned about this. Have you spoke to Paul? As far as Im aware they have no managing agents at present. I have a contract but no copy of the signed one? Now Im really worried!! I have called several time to double check how much I have paid and to get a Piano player contact. They were supposed to email me yesterday but Surprise Surprise.. NOTHING :(
  • Hello, yes I'm in a similar position, we signed a contract but they never returned a signed copy. We've put a deposit down but are refusing to pay anything further until we get a contract with the new managing agent and some proper explanations.

I am hoping this will all turn out fine but am disappointed at the way it's going, since the staff were part of what sold the venue to me and they're all gone now. We are planning on going down there in a while to meet the new agents, carefree, flower people etc and get to the bottom of this.

Let me know if you hear anything further please.
  • Hi all,
    Do any of you have any updates on Halswell? My sister is due to get married there in June and they have also failed to send out a new contract despite promising to when she spoke to them at the beginning of Jan, so literally a few weeks ago. She went on holiday and has tried to contact Halswell this week on her reurn to find that the numbers are dead! Does anyone have a working number that she can use or anyfurther information? Anything to put her and her fiancee's mind at rest, they are worried sick :(
  • Hi guys,

As an update, we met with people at the house in Jan and they assured us everything was fine. We have since found out that dunster properties ltd is in adminstration (contact Moorfields corporate recoveries for more details as they don't have a list of wedding creditors. Pm me if you need details.)

When we spoke to Paul Tanswell about this, he assured us they would still provide a wedding but with a new company, and wanted us to pay a new depost (minus contract) and claim the original deposit on our insurance (not acceptable). We have today found out that Paul Tanswell is in fact leaving employment with Halswell on Wednesday and does not know what will happen after that date.

I will not be progressing with my wedding there in september as I am not confident in their ability to provide a wedding. I hope this is of help.
  • Thank you so much for your response, its not looking promising is it? I think my sister is going to go down there and see if she can get some answers that way! If you do hear anything else, I would be really grateful if you could let me know so I can pass the info onto her.

Sarah
  • Hi All

I've just spoken to a guy at the administrators, he's called Jack Jones - very useful.

He advises everyone to contact him and speak to him direct.

He will then forward a copy of the administration report and a proof of debt to allow you to submit a claim in the administration as well as contact details for Nicki Stephenson, the caterer who is now the main contact since Paul left.

Current understading is that another Dunster company (not in administration) Halwell Park Limited is fullfilling obligations and weddings are happening. (This is because the administrators are not trading the company)

Nicki does not work for the Dunster companies, she advised that we pay nothing more and await hearing from her.

Therefore, my advice would be speak to Jack Jones on 020 8528 1090, who will then give you contact details for Nicki Stephenson.

Crappy situation, but I guess we just need to pay the waiting game where possible.

Stacey
  • P.S the administrators report anticipates that unsecured creditors will be paid in full, therefore worse case scenario (nightmare if your wedding is coming up soon) appears to be that venue change is required but you'll get your money back via the administration or insurance!
  • Hi all,

We have a wedding in June and are having the exact same experience.

I found tonight a new website that they put up only 23 hours ago, intentions seems positive but I think I'm always going to be wary with what's going on.

I think the most important thing at the moment, is who is fronting Halswell? and if so what is their contact details? Perhaps the owner Graham Bond himself should reassure everyone personally, I think its the least he could do.

halswell-house I can't post links but if you add a .co.uk to the address it should come up
  • antaruu wrote: »
    I think the most important thing at the moment, is who is fronting Halswell? and if so what is their contact details?

Please see my post, contact is Nikie Stephenson, you can get her contact details from Jack Jones at the administrators office, but she doesn't work for the Dunster companies
  • Hi Guys,

I know you may have read my other post on you and your wedding, but please please please make sure you get in contact with Jack Jones of Moorfields we did and thankfully through him and our Wedding Insurance ( Dreamsaver Wedding insurance) we were able to get all lour money back and re-book with another venue!

We were left with not knowing where we stood, who was fronting Halswell and at one point we even knew more than the staff Paul and Nickie.

We were filled with misguided information for a month or so and were asked to complete knew contracts which we declined to do.
    Basicly we were told they could not claim our money back from Dunster Properties ltd so we would have to sign a new contract and pay again!!

Our Civil Partnership was due to take place on 9th April 2012, thankfully because we acted in line with our head we were able to move everything to the same day and time and all our suppliers have come along with us.
    As you can imagine when we found out in January we were already getting RSVP back.

Thankfully the wonderful Brympton House near Yeovil have come up trumps and we can certaily see a professional difference and once again have confidence in our day be very specail indeed.

Good luck to you all but please don't sit back and do nothing!!:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure