PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

renting - credit checks??

Options
Hi,

just wondering if anyone could advise.
Basically have been renting a house for almost 6 years but told recently we have 8 weeks to move out as the owners are wanting to sell. We found a reasonable house to move in to but have just been told that they will need to do credit checks which im not sure we will pass, does anyone know the credit score required for the checks? and if they need to be performed again as we have been good tenants for 6 years? i have heard about having a guarantor if credit checks arent passed but what are the requirements of a guarantor, do they have to be over 21 and a home owner? as we can't afford to pay 6 months rent upfront the situation is a bit sticky.

any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Aesop
    Aesop Posts: 23,773 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

We rent where we live. Basically a credit check involves the company contacting Experian, Equifax or a third company, cant remember what it is called. They check you have been on the electoral roll for the six years you have been renting, they will check how many loans, credit cards, commitments you have, how you have managed your repayments and how much you still owe. You can get your credit reports for a fee of £2 for each company or if you look on this site, there are ways to get them for free, Martin has done a few articles on them. It is definitely worth getting your credit report and checking the information on there is correct, anything that isnt get corrected immediately. the three reports may show slightly different information so worth getting all 3. they will show you what the searchers will see, and show your financial links to anybody else. I did this and found they were showing me as being financially linked to members of my family when i wasnt, it was worth it, because I got them removed from my report.

hope this helps.
  • EggGal
    EggGal Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to change the subject a bit, but...
    aureol212 wrote: »
    the three reports may show slightly different information so worth getting all 3. they will show you what the searchers will see, and show your financial links to anybody else. I did this and found they were showing me as being financially linked to members of my family when i wasnt, it was worth it, because I got them removed from my report.

hope this helps.

I recently noticed on my credit report that it stil has me finacially linked to my ex-partner who left me 2 years ago, and have been trying to find out how to get myself un-linked from him, so to speak, so far have not had any success. How is the best way to make sure all his future financial misdemeanours don't affect me?

Thanks in advance.
  • subjecttocontract
    Options
    i have heard about having a guarantor if credit checks arent passed but what are the requirements of a guarantor, do they have to be over 21 and a home owner? as we can't afford to pay 6 months rent upfront the situation is a bit sticky.

Over 21, home owner and sometimes they are required even if you pass the credit checks. Landlords like a belt & braces approach. Its all about minimising risk.
  • Aesop
    Aesop Posts: 23,773 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, sorry for late response, only just checked back on site.
    Contact Experian, Equifax and CallCredit(i think) and tell them you are no longer financially linked to your ex partner and have not been for the last 2 years, they will update your credit files to remove the link or you can put a notice on your file advising you are not financially linked.

By law you have the right to request a Statutory Credit Report for £2. This is posted to you within 7 working days of receipt of your request and payment.
    Your Statutory Rights Include the Right to:
    • Be posted a copy of your Statutory Credit Report within 7 working days of receipt of your request and payment
    • Dispute inaccurate information on your credit file
    • Have errors corrected within 28 days.
    Under the Data Protection Act, Equifax is permitted by law to charge you £2 for each request you make for your Statutory Credit Report.
    Equifax Credit Rating™
    Statutory Report
    By law, you are entitled to a copy of your Statutory Credit Report by post for a fee of £2.

When requesting your credit report by post, please complete the Credit File Application Form and send it to the address below. Be sure to include your full name, address and most recent former addresses (up to six years) for file matching purposes. Please include a personal cheque made payable to Equifax Plc.

Equifax Plc.
    Credit File Advice Centre
    PO Box 1140
    Bradford
    BD1 5US

the others are

Experian
    Consumer Help Service
    PO Box 8000
    Nottingham
    NG80 7WF
    Call CreditConsumer Services Team
    PO Box 491
    Leeds
    LS3 1WZ
    EggGal wrote: »
    Sorry to change the subject a bit, but...

I recently noticed on my credit report that it stil has me finacially linked to my ex-partner who left me 2 years ago, and have been trying to find out how to get myself un-linked from him, so to speak, so far have not had any success. How is the best way to make sure all his future financial misdemeanours don't affect me?

Thanks in advance.
  • brookss1312
    Options
    Hi, just thought i'd give a little bit advice as im currently privately renting with my partner through a letting's agency. As you i was worried about the credit check's as i have a default and 2 ccj's and numerous other missed payments. But my partner's credit was fine. I know they do check with the usual credit reference agencies but i think it's basically to see if you've missed payment's of rent on previous properties and that's about it. Oh and obviously they'll check if you can afford the rent by asking you to list your outgoing's & commitments etc... I never had any problem with renting a property and i really thought i would because a few years ago i couldn't even get a switch card! But i think as long as you have been good tenants in your previous house and have good referencies you should be fine.
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Options
    as a l andlady - what i tell my prospective tenants is that i do not like finding surprises when i do credit/reference checks - if you have had a problem in the past, and have sorted it out, or are still sorting it out - fine - we all get into muddles now and again - i am looking for honesty more than anything else.

when you go to the viewings, take your last six months bank statements with you - this shows a willingness to be immediately upfront from day one - take ID and proof of address with you.

good luck
  • fudge23
    Options
    Hi a friend of mine has been asked to pay £150 for a credit check on a property they want to rent, is this fee the norm?
  • GillsMan7
    Options
    fudge23 wrote: »
    Hi a friend of mine has been asked to pay £150 for a credit check on a property they want to rent, is this fee the norm?
    I don't know if it's the norm, but I know I pay £10-20 to credit check my tenants so it seems massively inflated to me.
  • Laura01_2
    Options
    Hi there, im going in to rent a property on saturday but i dont think me or my partner will pass a credit check, the only reason i wont and have been declined for things recently is because i have stopped working to be a fulltime mom to my 2 children under 3 and all the credit is in my name from when i was working, as i had a good credit rating before and i got wher we are living now but my partner has ccj etc, they have asked for a guarantor which i can provide and will pass a credit check, should they accept him and let us rent or do i have to pass and if i dont will they take my explination into consideration??
    Thanks Laura
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport