Spam from "GSN" to e-mail address registered on Play.com

DonnyDave
DonnyDave Posts: 1,579 Forumite
edited 20 March 2011 at 11:09PM in Praise, vent & warnings
I have just received a spam message to play@mydomain which has only ever been given to online retailer Play.com:

Subject: Get more done, much faster, with Acrobat X PDF Reader. Upgrade Available Now

See how Adobe Acrobat X Reader is a step above anything you've experienced before, so you can be even more productive.

Upgrade now: <spam link removed>

Just how much faster can you work with Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader
software? Fast enough to stay on top of last-minute changes, connect
with key decision makers, and share updates with co-workers.

You'll discover how easy it is to reuse content by exporting PDF files
to Microsoft Word or Excel formats. And how quickly you can automate
multi-step tasks with new, guided Actions. No wonder PC Magazine
says, "There's a lot to like in Acrobat X PDF Reader." See for yourself at :

<spam link removed>

Copyright 2011 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.

Adobe Systems Incorporated
343 Preston Street
Ottawa, ON K1S 1N4
Canada

I am concerned that this may be as a result of a security breach at Play.com.

Comments

• lizards
    lizards Posts: 244
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Same here - received two this morning. One sent to my play@ [my domain] and the other to play247@ [my domain] which is clearly an address I've held for many years as I forgot I even had it or that Play even had a different name back in the day! So the addresses they've got must be going back years.

And some people wonder why every company I give my details to I use their name @ [my domain].. Caught plenty of them this way.
  • Same thing just happened to me.. email address I've only given to play.com and same dodgy looking email.

I wonder if the email addresses have been stolen or sold.
  • DonnyDave
    DonnyDave Posts: 1,579 Forumite
    I have sent a copy of this spam e-mail to John Perkins who is listed as Play.com's CEO at https://www.!!!!!!

Perhaps others could do the same.
  • Me too. I have just sent this email to play.com:
    Hi,

When I registered my account with play.com, I used a unique email address: [snip]. This is an email alias that fowards to my real email account. I have never given this email address to anyone else, or used it on any other website.

Today then I was surprised to receive spam addressed to that email address, selling something allegedly from adobe, promoting the url: "official-adobe-acrobatx.com". I am not alone in this, see other people complaining here:

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=42142988

Play.com have either sold my email address on to some spammer, or you have had a breach of security and email addresses have been harvested. If the latter, what other personal data might have been stolen?

I appreciate your swift investigation and response, before I bring this matter up with the Data Protection Act Information Commissioner.
  • capate
    capate Posts: 15 Forumite
    Same here, have also sent email to John Perkins
  • butters_2
    butters_2 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Hi same here, got one today to play @ my domain. Last year I had someone try and make an order on my account shipping to an address in Milton Keynes, play blamed me even though I know my PC was clean and password was unique, a bit of googling suggested many others were affected, police didn't seem to care.

It's a joke that play don't allow you to remove your card details, they obviously have security issues but won't ever admit it so they least they could do is offer paypal or a trusted method of payments.
  • 8u87fhsd
    8u87fhsd Posts: 28 Forumite
    edited 20 March 2011 at 3:40PM
    Could it be that we are all just a bit too paranoid & all that is happened is the spammer has used a dictionary to email [dictionaryword] @ domain?

Also, having the website name as the bit before the @ seems to becoming more common & actually slightly reduces security as the bad guy can now make an educated guess at the email address (rather than it being freddy34 @ sky.com or whatever).

N.B. I've also got my domain & I've just changed my Play pwd just in case.

Just because your paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

FWIW - Touch wood but I've never had a problem with Play, no dodgy orders, no items go missing, no OTT packaging & no issue with returns
  • halfer
    halfer Posts: 38 Forumite
    Thanks to all contributors on this thread. I received the same item of spam via a "GSN" cross-promotion this afternoon, 20 March 2011.

I don't think my item of spam was a dictionary guess - my per-provider email addresses have a common suffix in order for them to be forwarded onto my usual email address. Random aliases going to my domain are just sent to a spam bin, which I check once in a blue moon.

So, I've just complained to [EMAIL="privacy&#64;play.com"]privacy@play.com[/EMAIL] - sounds like the best place to complain. I will also complain to the IC, but I thought I'd give them a chance to look into it first.

I caught BT this way before, so - as @lizards says - using customised email aliases is an excellent way to catch 'em at it :)
  • capate
    capate Posts: 15 Forumite
    8u87fhsd wrote: »
    Could it be that we are all just a bit too paranoid & all that is happened is the spammer has used a dictionary to email [dictionaryword] @ domain?

Then wouldn't my inbox be full of similar emails with all the other dictionarywords (used) @ mydomain?
  • butters_2
    butters_2 Posts: 11 Forumite
    8u87fhsd wrote: »
    Could it be that we are all just a bit too paranoid & all that is happened is the spammer as used a dictionary to email [dictionaryword] @ domain?

Also, having the website name as the bit before the @ seems to becoming more common & actually slightly reduces security as the bad guy can now make an educated guess at the email address (rather than it being freddy34@sky.com or whatever).

N.B. I've also got my domain & I've just changed my Play pwd just in case.

Just because your paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

FYI - Touch wood but I've never had a problem with Play, no dodgy orders, no items go missing, no OTT packaging & no issue with returns

I think you're being naive, I have my email set up so any word or in fact anything prefixing my domain will be forwarded to my email. If the scenario you are describing where a bot was being used to randomly guess words then I would have received more than the one email I have from play. Another factor is that my domain has no website linked to it so I never receive spam because there is no site attached to it, this spam email from play.com is the first spam that has managed to get through to my email in 3 years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure