Asda Opticians only £50 for Complete glasses INC Thinnest Lenses for NO EXTRA COST

Comments

• Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    No idea, but they are pukka opticians there.....although I go in with my prescription from my normal optician (he does the NHS diabetic screening in my area).

Incidentally I was in my normal optician yesterday with the tadpole, and a lady was being priced up for specs.......£80 for the frame and £350 for the thin lenses :eek:
    illegitimi non carborundum
  • Snowbelle
    Snowbelle Posts: 353 Forumite
    Can anyone offer any advice on cleaning glasses with the coatings to ensure they stay scratch free for as long as possible?
  • Froggitt
    Use a microfibre cloth like you would use on a camera lens.
  • Snowbelle
    Froggitt wrote: »
    Use a microfibre cloth like you would use on a camera lens.
    Thank you. I have come across many items on the internet where people are washing them with water and washing up liquid. Asda specifically said not to use washing up liquid and to avoid getting them wet as this can cause a rainbow effect on the lenses.
    The lenses seem to always have smudges on them and I am concerned that keep cleaning them will scratch them. I did wonder if I would have been better off getting them without coatings.
  • Froggitt
    Had my ASDA specs a few years, with reflective coating or something like that. Breathe on them every morning and rub with the same microfibre cloth Ive used since ever, and they are still scratch free. No smudges. No rainbows.

Recently bought a spray for my iPad which I was going to try on the specs.
  • FTMDan
    FTMDan Posts: 17 Forumite
    Anyone know what SPH Specsavers 'Extra Thin & Light' is equivalent to? I got this done to my glasses for free but it honestly looks like they didn't do anything and was just curious.
  • Snowbelle
    FTMDan wrote: »
    Anyone know what SPH Specsavers 'Extra Thin & Light' is equivalent to? I got this done to my glasses for free but it honestly looks like they didn't do anything and was just curious.
    How did you get them free?
  • FTMDan
    FTMDan Posts: 17 Forumite
    Snowbelle wrote: »
    How did you get them free?

It was some promotion they had on at the time. I'm just curious to see how thin, or how thick rather, these current lenses are compared to the one's I'd get at ASDA.
  • Snowbelle
    It was some promotion they had on at the time. I'm just curious to see how thin, or how thick rather, these current lenses are compared to the one's I'd get at ASDA.
    That's the problem really you won't know until they have been made. Why don't you try getting just one pair from the non designer range for £50 and see how they come back? Try to pick as small a frame as you can as that helps reduce the thickness. Maybe ask about aspheric lenses as these are flatter.
  • Snowbelle
    Looks like this is 1.6
    http://www.specsavers.co.uk/ask-the-optician/what-is-equivalent-to-the-xtra-thin-and-light/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure