Asda Opticians only £50 for Complete glasses INC Thinnest Lenses for NO EXTRA COST

Comments

• Brunnen-G
    Brunnen-G Posts: 17 Forumite
    Any recent information on this? Do ASDA still give thinner lenses without charging? Thanks.
  • cb4fwh
    cb4fwh Posts: 165
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Yes, went into my local Asda & got two pairs with the Super Thin & Light (1.70 ASPH) lenses yesterday (my prescription is -7.75).

£99 for two pairs! Fyi., the new Autumn range of frames is now available, and choice is alot better than it has been in recent years.
  • FTMDan
    FTMDan Posts: 17 Forumite
    Is this deal still on? (The two pairs for £99). My prescription is +7.25 in both eyes so how thin could I get my lenses? Also, can anyone comment on the general service etc. at ASDA Opticians regarding eye tests, assistance in choosing frames, aftercare etc.?

I'm just fed up with Specsavers and even though I only got my glasses from them around 6 months ago, I'm considering going to ASDA anyway as everything about my latest visit to SS was horrible; Lenses are like jam jar bottoms as they 'advised' me to pick a certain type of frame then another employee told me that I shouldn't be wearing glasses and should be wearing contacts because my lenses will 'always be thick and heavy'.
  • FTMDan wrote: »
    Is this deal still on? (The two pairs for £99). My prescription is +7.25 in both eyes so how thin could I get my lenses? Also, can anyone comment on the general service etc. at ASDA Opticians regarding eye tests, assistance in choosing frames, aftercare etc.?

I'm just fed up with Specsavers and even though I only got my glasses from them around 6 months ago, I'm considering going to ASDA anyway as everything about my latest visit to SS was horrible; Lenses are like jam jar bottoms as they 'advised' me to pick a certain type of frame then another employee told me that I shouldn't be wearing glasses and should be wearing contacts because my lenses will 'always be thick and heavy'.

yes i am sure it is still on not sure if the prices are still the same but they still include the thinnest lenses at no extra ... might be worth a trip to asda to find out x
  • FTMDan
    edited 7 April 2013 at 8:01PM
    Yeah, I might pop in. My eye test isn't due for another year and a bit but I am seriously considering going to ASDA anyway. Specsavers were fine in my area around 5/6 years ago when they weren't as popular. Nowadays they are useless. Reminds me of mobile phone networks; offering great deals and customer service to get customers then when they get big, they just don't care that much any more.

I had a lady assist me picking some frames. She knew fine well that my prescription was quite strong (+7.25 in both eyes) so I picked the same sort of frame as I normally do (Quite thin/basic looking) and she said it'd be great.

I picked my glasses up a week or so later and away I went. Within a couple of days, the nose pads were hurting my nose so bad that they actually broke the skin. I went into the store and a woman proceeded to tell me it was the worst she'd ever seen. She then swapped the nose pads for some silicon ones and then proceeded to give me a speech on how I was stupid for picking frames this thin as my lenses are far too heavy and thick and that they are always going to put pressure on my nose. I then got a 10 minute speech on how I should get contact lenses instead when I've tried them before and my eyes just don't agree with them.

She adjusted my glasses to loosen the frames a bit. I noticed later on that they were really loose and that when I was running a bath / tidying up and looking down towards the bath / floor, my glasses would constant slip down my nose. They are loose to the point where if I look straight down at the floor, they slip off my face and start dangling / swinging off my face if I move my head.

I went to get them adjusted and it was a constant problem of them making them too tight then too loose again.

I assume I can go into ASDA and get an eye test / this 2 pairs for £99/£110 (Whatever it is now) offer even though I've been tested in the last year since I will be paying? I honestly don't mind paying if it means I get more stylish, better looking frames, thinner lenses, better value for money and better customer service.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I've just been back to Asda again, my prescription has changed so I now need varifocals. I've ordered three pairs from their non-designer range, one will have sunglasses tint, all three will have the 1.7 super-thin-and-light lenses. Turns out that I now get a higher-value NHS value towards them (varifocals). So in the end I'll pay something like £85 for my three pairs ... and then I'll claim £60 back on my company's healthcare cash plan :D I cannot believe that ten years ago, I was paying £350 for one pair of thinned specs; and now I can get three pairs for under £100 :D Thank you again Asda!
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • FTMDan
    Anyone with similar eyes to me had any experience with what index lenses they got? I'm +7.25 in both eyes and wondering if anyone else had similar and what they got.
  • Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    I'm 7 and 7.25.....not sure whether plus or minus, but they have a chart that gives you the appropriate thinness for your eyesight.
    illegitimi non carborundum
  • FTMDan
    edited 1 June 2013 at 11:01AM
    Do ASDA have any lens options such as anti-reflection coating?

EDIT: Nevermind, answered my own question. What are 'Distinct lenses'?
  • FTMDan
    Froggitt wrote: »
    I'm 7 and 7.25.....not sure whether plus or minus, but they have a chart that gives you the appropriate thinness for your eyesight.

The only reason I asked is because for my level of sight it says 'Seek advice from the optician' and I wasn't quite sure what 'decision(s)' would need to be made about my lenses that would differ from others?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure