PLEASE READ - Posts by the MSE Team and BG's - merged

Comments

• jumpycheese1
    jumpycheese1 Posts: 4,300 Forumite
    What they do is the smallest prize, people have to stay on the phone for longer. My aunt did this once and won a packet of seeds which she spent £5 on the phone for.
    "The reason we're successful, darling? My overall charisma, of course." -- Freddie Mercury

Friends are kisses blown to us by angels - Anon.
  • bigbloke45
    bigbloke45 Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ok, this is all very well, but what about all those newspapers, magazines, book clubs, even charities, etc. that distribute this carp?

They are just as guilty; they knew exactly what they were distributing. I remember trying to explain to my neice that it was a con when she wanted to 'phone to claim a "prize". She was in tears.

Maybe the main culprit will be the "educashun" system that has failed to teach people about how to spot such obvious rubbish. :mad:
  • josie301
    josie301 Posts: 4,654 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    No offence but why is it here?
    :rotfl:

Agreed - most of us here are clued up enough not to be scammed by these, or peeps post here and are warned off by those with more experience!

But it is always good to keep up with the info ;)
    Jo x
    2007:£5181.09 2008: £6619.70 2009: £4284.49 2010: £5213.14 2011: £4980.62 2012: £3188.52 :)

• crin
    crin Posts: 3,540 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think it is way past time that they are banned. Older people can't always see the fine print or don't fully understand any longer what exactly it means.
    If at first you don't succeed try, try, try again.

Eleventh Heaven # 550 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
  • furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    About time too - should have happened years ago.
  • wingobins
    wingobins Posts: 20,649 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I agree with bigbloke45, the mags that include these in are just as guilty. Before I found MSE I was one of those unfortunate people who at first believed these scratchcards might be genuine because they were in a 'respectable' magazine!
    Big thanks to all who contribute to the forums. Be lucky everyone and be safe!
  • I remember when I used to think these cards were legit. I was lucky that I couldnt call the £1.50 min line for my 'prize' because I didnt have the credit on my phone.
    Lots more people are not so lucky and spend a fortune on getting a pitiful 'prize'.
  • jumpycheese1
    jumpycheese1 Posts: 4,300 Forumite
    All junk mail should be banned. If people want a credit card, a loan etc then they should contact the banks. Not the other way round.
    "The reason we're successful, darling? My overall charisma, of course." -- Freddie Mercury

Friends are kisses blown to us by angels - Anon.
  • HI all,

We’ve had a few reports about the Competitions Board so just wanted to set out a few reminders:

Please be nice to all MoneySavers. The Competitions Board is an amazing example of MoneySavers working collectively to help each other and we want it to remain a nice place to be. Even if you disagree with users please communicate it in a polite, courteous manner! We won’t tolerate rudeness and please don’t scare away newbies!

Board Guides are volunteers. I also just wanted to remind you that our Board Guides are volunteers, they don’t get paid to put in the hours, it’s not a ‘job’ and we don’t make demands of them. If we didn’t have them the boards wouldn’t run half as smoothly as they do.

Another board guide has kindly volunteered to give some extra help on the board, so hopefully things will run even smoother now.

Thanks
  • Definitely a problem for companies but if they are obtaining your details in the process then that might be the most valuable thing so it would not matter how you joined the competition (either through this site or their official competition site)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure