Branston Beans at Tesco

Comments

• You will often find that bulk items work out barely any cheaper and frequently more expensive.

There is no rule anywhere that says bigger pack = better value.

It's just what you've been programmed to think so you legitimately spend more money without realising it. To ASSUME it's cheaper is to make an AՏՏ out of U and ME.

Always double-check the £/qty.
  • Lip_Stick
    Lip_Stick Posts: 2,415 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    calleyw wrote: »
    And according to mysupermarket Asda is £1 for 4.

Yours

Calley

Yeah they are. I went to Asda with my mum and noticed she'd bought some after we left. I didn't even notice them in the shop. Typical lol
    There's a storm coming, Mr Johnson. You and your friends better batten down the hatches, because when it hits, you're all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us.
  • I tend to stock up when Lidl have it cheap so I don't have to carry it too far, got a good stock of 99p ones last time!
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • suzybloo
    suzybloo Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I had issues with this the last weekend with my order fromTesco. When I placed my order at 11pm on Thursday 28 July the Branston 4 pack were priced at £1.50 and the Heinz 6 pack were on at £3. My order was confirmed at 3am on the Friday morning for delivery on Saturday 30th July, showing the price as £1,50. However when I receive my order on the Saturday morning - 30 hours after the confirmation the beans had gone up to £2.56. An increase of £1.05 - needles to say Customer services got an earful, whilst I appreciate the pricing used is on the day of delivery - the beans were not marked as on special offer etc so an increase like that was nothing other than manipulating prices to compensate other deals. I did get refunded the difference - but well worth checking your receipt against your confirmation.
    Every days a School day!
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    suzybloo wrote: »
    the beans were not marked as on special offer etc so an increase like that was nothing other than manipulating prices to compensate other deals.

Or to prepare for an offer on those beans.

I have seen items on offer in Morrisons, and thought that the offer was a fix.

It goes like this...... The sign says "Half price, was £2.20 now £1.10" and I think "Hang on, I bought that last week and it was only 90p"!

Then I go on line, find the offer, and the small print says "Previous price was charged between 8 & 12 Aug 2011".

And I think "Yeah, but when I bought it on 7th Aug it was only 90p"

So don't be surprised if the beans are "reduced" to £1.50, or less very soon.
  • Broadwood
    Broadwood Posts: 706 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think the moral of the story is "Buyer beware! - Never assume! - Always check the grams/£ price."

We use Aldi Lidl Morrisons Sainsbury and Tesco during any 3 month period. Lidl is closest so gets used roughly twice a week for basics, the others roughly fortnightly in rotation for offers and certain items we like from specific supermarkets e.g. Sainsbury for sweetener-free 4-packs of 2-litre Lemonade. I refuse to buy Lemonade (or ANYTHING else) with Aspartame in, and saccarine isn't much nicer either!

You can't get the best deals by only using one supermarket. Also some own-brand lines are excellent while others are not so good. Same applies to value lines.

If you have the space and the cash flow can cover it, bulk buy the good deals which have a long shelf life like tins jars and bottles etc. We use 2 or 3 tins of beans every week so whenever Branston 4-packs are 99p at Lidl the garage gets stocked with another 24 tins. Same applied a few weeks ago when the 5-packs of Orange Juice were reduced to 50p from 99p. I bought 10 packs as they don't expire until Sept 2012. Many offers like that are just on for Saturday and Sunday.

My sister-in law says she doesn't have time for shopping around. I said no of course she doesn't, she is too busy working extra hours to earn the money she needs to pay those top prices and contribute to Tesco's massive profits ! - "Mug" comes to mind.
    Never trust a financial institution.

Still studying at the University of Life.
  • Just thought I'd mention 4 tins of Branston Beans are now down to £1 at Asda. It's on the website so should be nationwide. No idea for how long though. :money:
    :cool: :A
  • geordie_joe
    Combo Breaker First Post
    huggychair wrote: »
    Just thought I'd mention 4 tins of Branston Beans are now down to £1 at Asda. It's on the website so should be nationwide. No idea for how long though. :money:

Thanks, IME once the offer is in one store it spreads to the others. Which is handy as I only have 3 tins left.
  • geordie_joe
    Combo Breaker First Post
    david39 wrote: »
    Just a caution about a price I saw in Tesco's yesterday

Branston Baked Beans at 52p per tin

The 4-pack of the same item is £2.56 (64p per tin).

Just had a look on the Tesco web site, and 4 tins are down to £1.50 now.
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    4 for £1.29 at B&M Stores
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport