Why register as disabled?

I read with interest the "sticky" on what the definition of disabled is, but I wonder what are the benefits of registering as disabled for older, retired people.

My wife, aged 78, broke her neck l6 months ago, leaving her with extremely limited movement in her right arm, shoulder and leg. Apart from medical attention (Physiotherapy) and attendence allowance, we get no help. I am 81 and get no carers allowance and because we have some savings, we have to pay a cleaner, gardener and handyman.

Would there be benefits in registering as disabled, and, if so, how does my wife go about it?

Any advice on sources of assistance would be gratefully received.

Comments

• Babshubbie wrote: »
    Would there be benefits in registering as disabled, and, if so, how does my wife go about it?

There seems to be no such thing as 'registered disabled' though the term is still commonly used for some reason.

If your wife was under 65 she could claim DLA (Disability Living Allowance) but those over 65 can claim Attendance Allowance instead, which you say she gets.

Hope this helps.
    Essex_Guy
  • JohnnyJet
    JohnnyJet Posts: 297
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You can no longer register as disabled. You used to be able to do so and you would be given a card. Most places asking for proof of disability now require proof that you get DLA or Attendence allowance or have a blue badge.
    Some companies are out of date and don't even know that there is no such thing anymore in the same way they think we have orange badges still - hence the confusion.
  • JohnnyJet wrote: »
    You can no longer register as disabled. You used to be able to do so and you would be given a card. Most places asking for proof of disability now require proof that you get DLA or Attendence allowance or have a blue badge.
    Some companies are out of date and don't even know that there is no such thing anymore in the same way they think we have orange badges still - hence the confusion.

I have a disability or so my employer tells me as i'm covered by DDA, i have never registered myself as having a disability & wouldn't know how to.
    Is there any point in doing so? How dou you do it?

With the new legislation that i read on the forum for now not registering as disabled, are you only entitled to a blue badge if you get DLA?
    You can't be lost if you don't know where you're going.
  • LimeLight
    LimeLight Posts: 8,038
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    There is no such thing as a disabled register any more, so no, it's not worth registering!

I had a police statement taken off me and one of the questions on the 'equality measuring form' was are you registered disabled? I pointed out the fact of no register, so they're going to have to change it.
    just passing through.... Nothing to see....
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    I have a disability or so my employer tells me as i'm covered by DDA, i have never registered myself as having a disability & wouldn't know how to.
    Is there any point in doing so? How dou you do it?

With the new legislation that i read on the forum for now not registering as disabled, are you only entitled to a blue badge if you get DLA?

The only people that register themselves as having a disability really are those that are registered blind or partially sighted. If you are not blind or partially sighted then there is no registration process to go through.

I am not sure about Blue Badges, I thought you had to apply for those from your local council but I am not sure about the DLA aspect, although I do think that they are changing the system of granting blue badges because of all the fraudsters out there who use one and have no need.

I do know that if you get DLA (it may be the highest mobility part) then you don't need to pay road tax but how this works I don't have a clue.
  • The best link I know of for claiming DLA, incapacity benefit, employment & support allowance is http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/
  • Yogibear
    Yogibear Posts: 458
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Horace wrote: »
    The only people that register themselves as having a disability really are those that are registered blind or partially sighted. If you are not blind or partially sighted then there is no registration process to go through.

I am not sure about Blue Badges, I thought you had to apply for those from your local council but I am not sure about the DLA aspect, although I do think that they are changing the system of granting blue badges because of all the fraudsters out there who use one and have no need.

I do know that if you get DLA (it may be the highest mobility part) then you don't need to pay road tax but how this works I don't have a clue.
    You have to be on the highest rate of DLA to get a Blue Badge and a car you only have to put fuel in it,you can get a Blue Badge as well if you get Attendance Allowance
    please do not pick on me for my grammar,I left school at fifteen and worked in the building trade for 55years ,

Chalk and slate csc:D
  • I was just wondering if i was entitled to a disabled parking badge/permit due to having a disability
    You can't be lost if you don't know where you're going.
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It is true that people who get the high rate mobility component of DLA automatically qualify for a blue badge (tho they still have to make the application and complete the relevant form)

However, the criteria for getting a blue badge varies from area to area. Some will give a blue badge to people whose application is supported by their GP or some other health professional, even if they don't get DLA or AA.

Blue badges are issued by your local council, so if you feel you need a blue badge it is worth asking for an application form to see what evidence your council requires.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • Thank you, all. No registration process to go through then. Having just gone through the Blue Badge application process, I can confirm that though the regulations are apparently laid down in Brussels, the interpretation is with local authorities. Here in Bromley they are at the moment very searching and thorough and expect to see evidence that an applicant cannot walk more than a few paces. Whether other authorities are as strict, I don't know.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure