MSE_Tony
MSE_Tony Posts: 100 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
edited 27 March 2012 at 7:00PM in Insurance & life assurance
articlealert.gif

This discussion is specifically for you to feedback on

Car Breakdown cover

Please first read the

Click 'post reply' to have your say and let us know if it's about home or car cover

To discuss other issues please use one of the following:

Car Insurance

Feedback

Comments

• Given the manner in which both the AA and RAC try to rip-off customers at renewal, why bother? I've been looking for a European policy and the prices from the AA and RAC are quite simply ridiculous profiteering.

I just bought annual home, recovery, Europe, etc. for £60.99 with Axa, one of the largest insurers in the world. No cashback, no arguing, no attempts to rip me off. Just a fair price from a single phone call for a four year old car and no obligation to auto renew. And fairly decent reviews too. And Axa now has got an app for the iPhone and Android that can be used in the event of a breakdown, which I think is a useful innovation. The chap I spoke to in the call centre was based in an English speaking country too (Republic of Ireland).

When the AA comes out with insulting renewal quotes like some of those listed here, charging loyal customers more than double what they will accept after haggling, I don't think we should even lower ourselves to call them back. I've never known a car or home insurer have that kind of mark-up and wriggle room. It is blatant profiteering.

I have to say, I do worry about some of the companies at the other end of the market that this site is recommending, particularly Green Insurance, when the review sites seem to view their customer service as utterly appalling. Quoteline was great while it used Britannia, but again the reviews for Mondial, Britannia's replacement, are dire.
  • I just took up the AA offer thru Topcashback today...

Got fully comp breakdown...£89.00

30 minutes later had email from Topcashback to say £50.50 tracked!...:j

:heartpuls Gains & £'s saved..Far too many to mention! Needless to say I LOVE MSE! :heartpuls

'Smile in the face of adversity..Whilst thinking where you can bury the bodies'

Area representative for National Association for Bikers with a Disability A cripple is a person who thinks a disabled person cannot ride a motorcycle :)
  • remrats
    remrats Posts: 53 Forumite
    I joined Autoaid last year - a bit doubtful about it as it sounded too cheap. Anyway I didn't have to claim, so still wasn't sure if it was a good buy. I joined again this year, and unfortunately had quite a bad breakdown. I let them know what had happened, then phoned our local breakdown man who sent out a recovery truck. I filled in Autoaid's claim form and sent it off. 2 weeks later I received a cheque for the full amount, with no trouble at all. It seems to be an excellent service as it covers the person, rather than the vehicle and my husband is also included in this. For £39 for the year, I think it is a great deal. All power to their elbow!:T
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    My RAC renewal is up at the end of the month. I am covered for -
    Roadside
    Accident Care
    In any car I am travelling in. The policy price is £72.50 and I have a membership discount of £17.00 making the renewal price £55.50.
    Can I get a better deal elsewhere, is it worth me calling them and haggling with them?
  • Hi WorriedJim

My partner has just had his renewal through exactly the same as yours with the RAC. He called them to cancel as I wanted him to take the AA deal through topcashback. They offered the cover eventually for £29.00 but he still cancelled.

I have just taken the £30 AA cover for him and hopefully the £21.21 will track. If it doesnt then only £1 lost. They also offer 6 mths Home Emergency cover when you go to pay, just make sure you cancel it at the end of the 6mths. I did not take this though as I previously worked for a company who was a subcontractor for the likes of Homeserve etc and saw their workmanship first hand!! :rotfl:

Hope this answers your questions.

xx
  • rebecca1
    rebecca1 Posts: 99 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have 3 cars to cover and pay for. 1 mine and the other 2 are my daughters cars. All due for Renewal at once. Autonational have quoted me £96.00 inc IPT.

Does anyone know if this is the cheapest way to cover them ?
    At present I have the cars covered NOT the person driving.

Thanks for your help.

Rebecca :D
  • My car is due for renewal next month and I am looking for decent deals. Not hoping for the car to break down but it's machine at the end of the day.

I see http://www.greeninsurancecompany.co.uk offering the cheapest but are they reliable? Would rather have a cover with home start as well.

cheers
  • redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    rebecca1 wrote: »
    I have 3 cars to cover and pay for. 1 mine and the other 2 are my daughters cars. All due for Renewal at once. Autonational have quoted me £96.00 inc IPT.

Looks to be plenty of cheaper options, even if you both take out separate policies - have you followed the big blue link in the first post of this thread to see them?
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
  • squinty
    squinty Posts: 573 Forumite
    rebecca1 wrote: »

Thanks for your help.

Rebecca :D

Rebecca,

Try GEM through Quidco - 2 drivers with complete cover for £69 (2nd Driver currently free) with a possibility of £12.50 back
  • joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    Hi, My autoaid is up for renewal, but am chaning car for a new 1, and letting daughter use mine.
    However, autoaid, only cover me/spouse not the car, so was looking for Firstcall, which used to be on here, and I used for 2 years prior to autoaid, and had them for home call twice, no probs, 45mins.
    I notice it,s no longer on here now, and I,ve never used cashback sites,always wary.
    aa sounds good, but cashback tends to make me look for other.
    I notice one on here got aa cashback, no probs, but read umpteen with agro. any advice would be grateful.:beer:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback